Bombs in LOndon

Old July 7th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Transport update: flights said by airport management to be operating
normally at all airports (H'Row, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton, City). Of
course transport to/from central London will be extremely slow if
existent.

Some railway stations outside London have been shut: Brighton,
Portsmouth Harbour, Swindon (controlled detonation of suspicious
package), possibly Poole.

Old July 7th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Internet service is quite slow here (Essex) too. I suspect congestion.

Old July 7th, 2005, 01:37 PM

As a matter of interest: Vodafone, Orange, O2 and T-Mobile (major UK
cellphone-network operators) all say congestion is the issue. An O2
spokesman is quoted by ZDNet as saying: "The government certainly
hasn't asked us to put any restrictions on network usage but we will
continue to monitor the situation." Vodafone says traffic was so high
it had to restrict public usage to free up bandwidth for emergency
services to communicate.

Old July 7th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Go Fig

As a critic of the Mayor of London, he just gave a very powerful
statement from Singapore.... Good Job!

.... "these are the times that try men's soul"

jay
Thu Jul 07, 2005

Old July 7th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Hearing of some station closures outside London: Swindon (controlled
detonation of suspicious package), Brighton, Portsmouth Harbour,
possibly Poole.

BAA says all airports operating normally.

Old July 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Earl Evleth

On 7/07/05 13:53, in article
, "
wrote:

Magda wrote:
On 7 Jul 2005 04:07:11 -0700, in rec.travel.europe,
arranged
some
electrons, so they looked like this :

Some unconfirmed reports that mobile networks are down, but
... this may just be saturation.)

No, they closed communications on purpose. In Madrid last year bombs were
detonated with the cell phones.

I don't think we can be sure. Some people in London are reporting that
their phones are working.

French TV mentioned a purposeful shutting down of all cell phone connections
coming out of London. One suspects, however, that the bombs which were to
be detonated have been.

But clearly the news coming is too disjointed with some rumors to get
the truth, we are in the "fog of war" stage of this particular attack.
The number of deaths is reported between 2 and 50, that alone indicates
a foggy situation which will remain for hours, maybe a couple of days.

The extended worry is what will happen in other European cities. Assuming
this is Al Qaeda linked in some manner, in the pass they have taken their
time in their attacks. So Madrid was last year and London this year is the
kind of scheduling they have had in the past.

Next are "they" going to only hit those nations who have played a role in
in Iraq or BOTH Iraq and Afghanistan? The French are involved in the latter
and not the former. We don't know what direction this will take for a
while, weeks or months.

Judging by the French news reports of seized military type weapons and
explosives coming into France, a well financed terrorist group with has
the opportunity to do a lot of damage. When we know the forensics
about the explosives used, we will have some information about the
terrorists.