Kenya drought

Old March 1st, 2006, 08:45 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Bad Year to Go To East Africa?

Have a wonderful and safe time Bill.

Do let us know how it goes.

Regards

Michael

Old March 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Bill writes ...

I'm concerned about the roads if it rains heavily in Tanzania,
especially getting down the west side of Ngorongoro to the
Serengeti ... at any rate, I wired the $$ and we are signed on
for April 1-10 ... We'll see how this goes

So three days after wiring the money I see a headline that the drought
was broken with three days of heavy rains -- the headline reads "Scores
stranded after heavy rains in Arusha" ... if paved roads are closed in
Arusha I can only imagine what it looks like in the bush

Should be an interesting adventure if this keeps up ...
http://www.ippmedia.com/ipp/guardian.../02/61212.html

Old March 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:29:54 +1100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

Despite my desire to see the big migration, I'm sure I would be pretty
excited to see a real concentration of predators, so that's useful advice.

Michael,

I hope you're not misunderstanding me and expect herds of lions.
(:-)

They are still territorial, and two prides are not comfortable
near each other. I'm only saying that they are easier to find in
the dry season, and you can find more of them, though not all in
one place.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:29:54 +1100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

Despite my desire to see the big migration, I'm sure I would be pretty
excited to see a real concentration of predators, so that's useful advice.

Michael,

I hope you're not misunderstanding me and expect herds of lions.
(:-)

They are still territorial, and two prides are not comfortable
near each other. I'm only saying that they are easier to find in
the dry season, and you can find more of them, though not all in
one place.

Hans-Georg

Last year, in Hwange, we came across a pride of about 15 lions immediately
besiode the road, gnawing on some poor unrecognizable hunk of meat. About
200 meters farther on, we bumped into another pride, only slightly fewer
(10-12),lounging under a tree. I had never heard of so many lions within
shouting distance of each other.

--riverman

Old March 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:29:54 +1100, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

Despite my desire to see the big migration, I'm sure I would be pretty
excited to see a real concentration of predators, so that's useful advice.

Michael,

I hope you're not misunderstanding me and expect herds of lions.
(:-)

They are still territorial, and two prides are not comfortable
near each other. I'm only saying that they are easier to find in
the dry season, and you can find more of them, though not all in
one place.

Hans-Georg

Hans Georg,
don`t laugh but I had been in Kenya for five years before I saw a lion
and that was in Nairobi NP! My son however saw one on the road
between Bura and Hola in Tana River District, but of course that is an
unlikely place for tourists to visit.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

No, I knew you didn't mean there would be 100,000 lions.

I have been to southern Africa often and although I have seen a lot of cats,
it's still a relatively rare occurrence and not predictable.

By "concentration" I meant more than usual and possibly, some of them
occupying a small, known area (eg at a water hole) where they would be found
easily.

Old March 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:02:48 +0800, riverman wrote:

Last year, in Hwange, we came across a pride of about 15 lions immediately
besiode the road, gnawing on some poor unrecognizable hunk of meat. About
200 meters farther on, we bumped into another pride, only slightly fewer
(10-12),lounging under a tree. I had never heard of so many lions within
shouting distance of each other.

Riverman,

interesting. I would think that they are either friendly, for
example, prides shared by the same males (a bit unlikely
though), or one of them moved quietly during the day and got
close to the other pride unknowingly.

It is also possible that they are on opposite sides of the
territory border. This can happen near sources of water. I once
observed (mostly listened to) three prides at the same
waterhole. They were clearly very wary and calling out very
often. It was a very noisy night.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.