what to do in Bristol

Old March 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default what to do in Bristol

Rarely (!) I'm probably going to have about 3 hours tomorrow between
various engagements in Bristol- around 2.30 onwards. I've never had the
time to do anything when I've been there before. I'll be at St. George's
Hall, so somewhere fairly accessible to there would be handy. I have a
wide range of interests...

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

I have a
wide range of interests...

Bristol's Industrial Museum has Bristol-made cars?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:44:58 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

I have a
wide range of interests...

Bristol's Industrial Museum has Bristol-made cars?

Yes - plus Bristol-made buses and motor-bikes (amongst other
exhibits).

http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/ccm/c...9A30D406E CDB

There is a rumour in the local press that the council is thinking of
closing the museum, which in my opinion would be a tragedy.

Keith, Bristol, UK

Remove numbers for email replies

Old March 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Keith Anderson

There is a rumour in the local press that the council is thinking of
closing the museum, which in my opinion would be a tragedy.

that would seem short sighted. with Bath so near.
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 10:29:13 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Keith Anderson

There is a rumour in the local press that the council is thinking of
closing the museum, which in my opinion would be a tragedy.

that would seem short sighted. with Bath so near.

At the moment it is only a rumour.

The irony of it is that visitor numbers to Bristol museums are
increasing: I have been told that the 2004 figures indicate 611,000
although I don't yet know whether this is for all Bristol's
council-owned museums or just the City Museum and Art Gallery.

I'm going to a presentation there tomorrow so I'll be able to find out
more then, and I'll ask them about the Industrial Museum too.

(2003 figures from Star UK show 130,000 visitors to the Industrial
Museum).

Old March 7th, 2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid wrote:

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

I have a
wide range of interests...

Bristol's Industrial Museum has Bristol-made cars?

I'll grudgingly admit to a mild interest in cars- when they're in
museums!

Flawless train journey down from Manchester BTW, including the change at
Birmingham. On both trains, I had a table, powerpoint for the laptop,
and listened to R4's Today programme on the train's audio system. Only
annoyance was that as the train sped through King's Norton, R4 cut into
the local car traffic, which cut off an interview I was really
interested in! The irony of it, bleeding traffic reports when I'm on the
train!

Of course, I must have been hallucinating, as we all know that UK trains
are ****...

Anyway, off to work!

Old March 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

Flawless train journey down from Manchester BTW, including the change at
Birmingham. On both trains, I had a table, powerpoint for the laptop,
and listened to R4's Today programme on the train's audio system. Only
annoyance was that as the train sped through King's Norton, R4 cut into
the local car traffic, which cut off an interview I was really
interested in! The irony of it, bleeding traffic reports when I'm on the
train!

they should have RDS switched off for trains, unless you want to
hear about train delays, I suppose. Of course, in a car you can
choose your own radio station while you luxuriate in your leather
seats that nobody has put thier feet on :-)

Of course, I must have been hallucinating, as we all know that UK trains
are ****...

The ones round here are quite modern nowadays, the problem tends
to be
a) the passengers
b) the cost
c) they dont go where I want to go!
d) Ive not tried asking them to stop so I can take a photo :-)

Anyway, off to work!

dont miss the train by posting!
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"The Reid" wrote in message

dont miss the train by posting!

And Bristol is, of course, the home of Oscar-winning plasticine-thespians
Wallace and Gromit!

Ian