Unesco: Languages under threat

Old August 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
rascal[_1_]

Default Unesco: Languages under threat

Replacing a really good pair of broken-in boots is not easy.

"Dave Frightens Me" wrote in
message news
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:27:23 +0200, *~* Magda *~*
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:15:02 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Dave Frightens
Me
arranged some electrons, so
they looked like
this:

... ... ... Corgi bit me 'nads writes:
... ... ...
... ... ... In Africa, 80% of oral dialects are in danger of dying
out
... ... ...
... ... ... More than half of the 6000 languages spoken in the
world today may
... ... ... disappear by the end of the century, the UN cultural
organisation
... ... ... Unesco said on the occasion of International Mother
Language Day.
... ... ...
... ... ... So?
... ... ...
... ... ... I'll join Mixi at this point to say who really cares.
... ...
... ... Not the devil-may-cares...
... ...
... ... I just can't see the point in trying to preserve numerous
under-used
... ... dialects.
... Sure. Who cares when a part of our very culture goes down the drain?
Creation, Tradition,
... Communication, Folklore, History... all ****, isn't it?
... All of that can occur with whatever language, can't it?

What's your point? That some languages are not important given that other
languages can
fulfill their purpose?

It's like saying that it does not matter if your wife dies - you can find
a replacement.

Yes, it's just like that. These things are readily replaceable, just
like a pair on boots.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Old August 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Mxsmanic

*~* Magda *~* writes:

Who cares when a part of our very culture goes down the drain?

A lot of culture isn't worth preserving. A dialect worth preserving
generally develops a written form, and tends to persist on its own,
without any artificial effort being made to preserve it.

The real purpose of efforts to preserve dialects and languages is to
obtain money.

Old August 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Mxsmanic

*~* Magda *~* writes:

What's your point? That some languages are not important given that other languages can
fulfill their purpose?

The point is that a language that dies out is a language that nobody
wants to preserve. There's no point in preserving a language just
because it exists.

Important languages persist of their own accord. Unimportant
languages disappear.

Old August 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Mxsmanic

Corgi bit me 'nads writes:

you dont know what you've got til its gone......

Often true for chicken pox and polio.

Old August 21st, 2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Corgi bit me 'nads

Mxsmanic wrote:
Corgi bit me 'nads writes:

you dont know what you've got til its gone......

Often true for chicken pox and polio.

Adolf and his master plan.....

Old August 21st, 2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Padraig Breathnach

Mxsmanic wrote:

The real purpose of efforts to preserve dialects and languages is to
obtain money.

For some who seek to make money out of it.

For the rest of us, there are other, better, reasons.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Padraig Breathnach

Mxsmanic wrote:

There's no point in preserving a language just because it exists.

Yes there is a point. For example, it can aid the understanding of the
human psyche.

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:01:00 +0200, *~* Magda *~*
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:51:21 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Dave Frightens Me
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

... Yes, it's just like that. These things are readily replaceable, just
... like a pair on boots.

I'm sure the missus will be happy to know it. Have you told her already?

Why would I need to? She'll never need to know!
--
---
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Mxsmanic

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Yes there is a point. For example, it can aid the understanding of the
human psyche.

Only if there is an active community speaking it.

Old August 21st, 2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa
Padraig Breathnach

Mxsmanic wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Yes there is a point. For example, it can aid the understanding of the
human psyche.

Only if there is an active community speaking it.

No. All you need is people capable of understanding it, and a
reasonable repository of instances of authentic usage.