Stop overs

Old November 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
elliot

Default Stop overs

My wife and I whenever possible seek out airlines that allow stopovers
for around $100.

We have used a few and got what we felt was two vacations for the price
of one... airfare wise..
Aeroflot was one, Air Jamaica, Singapore..Air also, a few
others...anyone have any positve experience with other airlines and
using stopovers they would care to share with us , please do..

Old November 8th, 2006, 05:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Gary L. Dare

elliot wrote:

anyone have any positve experience with other airlines and
using stopovers they would care to share with us , please do..

On a couple of flights from PDX (Portland, Oregon)
to the eastern time zone, I was able to book a
multiple destination ticket with 24 hours in
Chicago (ORD) on Saturday night, and onward
on Sunday. It usually brought the price of
the ticket down by up to 10%. The advantage
for me is two days to shift over three hours
(and I can do +/- 2 hours easily). The time
with friends, a Sunday bike ride along Lake
Michigan and a preflight dinner downtown is
worth even a modest premium. Versus flying
all day, west to east ...

In the last month, United had sale prices on
west-to-east routes and the premium to stop
in Chicago became unrealistic. PDX-PHL for
$341 via SFO, another guy booked Thursday
PDX-BOS connecting ORD outbound, SFO in-
bound for Saturday at $381. Insane!!

gld
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Geoff Glave

...anyone have any positve experience with other airlines and
using stopovers they would care to share with us , please do..

I've heard very good things about...

http://www.icelandair.com/home/book-...land-stopover/

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old November 11th, 2006, 07:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Am I Nuts

"elliot" wrote in message
My wife and I whenever possible seek out airlines that allow stopovers
for around $100.

We have used a few and got what we felt was two vacations for the price
of one... airfare wise..
Aeroflot was one, Air Jamaica, Singapore..Air also, a few
others...anyone have any positve experience with other airlines and
using stopovers they would care to share with us , please do..

Air New Zealand allows you to see both Australia and New Zealand using a
stopover.

Roberto

Old November 11th, 2006, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air
RAK

"elliot" wrote in message
My wife and I whenever possible seek out airlines that allow stopovers
for around $100.

We have used a few and got what we felt was two vacations for the price
of one... airfare wise..
Aeroflot was one, Air Jamaica, Singapore..Air also, a few
others...anyone have any positve experience with other airlines and
using stopovers they would care to share with us , please do..

Depends where you are flying from and to of course.

I mostly travel UK-SE Asia-Australia/NZ and have made many stopovers, mostly
organised myself, a few times using airline stopover packages.

Singapore Airlines encourages Singapore stops.They also offer side trips in
the SE Asia area. This can be a very cheap add-on to a long haul
(Europe-Aus/NZ ticket); I think I have typically paid around US$50 for a
side trip to Indonesia etc. I think they also ofer hotel options for these
trips, but maybe no cheaper than DIY. This option is usually not well
advertised, so it's best to ask the airline or a travel agent. A couple of
years back they even offered one free side-trip.

Emirates offers interesting stopovers in Dubai; I stayed a couple of nights
about 10 years ago,
http://www.emirates.com/usa/Dubai/st...opoverhome.asp
They may also offer side trips in the Middle East and there are some good
possibilities, e.g. Damascus, Shiraz, Esfahan - all recommended (though I
went by road not Emirates).
Etihad may have similar options out of Abu Dhabi.

I think Cathay Pacific does stopovers in HK.

Thai has a big range of stopovers.
http://www.thaiair.com/Royal_Orchid_...er/default.htm

Probably Malaysian does too.

etc.

Old November 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
RAK

"RAK" wrote in message
.. .

"elliot" wrote in message
[...]

PS Those SQ fares may be about £50, not US$50, sorry.