Jews Strive To Restore Christmas Trees At Seattle Airport

Old December 14th, 2006, 09:18 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.abortion,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
[email protected]

Default Jews Strive To Restore Christmas Trees At Seattle Airport

Arturo Magidin wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

Arturo Magidin wrote:

So you wouldn't mind an 8' swastika, a symbol used in various current
and recognised religions, either then?

The nazi swastika is different from the symbol in eastern religions;
the fold goes the other way.

Who said anything about the nazi swastika?

Fair enough. As I understand it, "swastika" refers to the nazi
symbol; the hindu symbol is called "shubthika" (good symbol).

Semantics. Do you think an 8' swastika-like symbol should be displayed
at a US airport on hindu/budhist festivals ? Or a crescent moon and
star on muslim ones (just as many muslims as jews in the US!)?

Many of those that know a Menorah is the official emblem of the Israeli
government would see it as a symbol of another invasion of territory.

The Hanukyah (Hanukah-menorah) is different from the Menorah in the
national emblem. Much like the star of David is different from the wiccan 5
pointed star.

The Menorah in the national emblem is a seven-branched
candelabrum. The Hanukyah, by contrast, is a nine-branched
candelabrum.

A minor detail.

Hardly a minor detail. Just like only the official emblem of the
american government must be a bald eagle, not just any kind of eagle,

They vary greatly too, "A" bald eagle is used, not the same "one".

so the national emblem of Israel must be a seven branched
candelabrum; a Hanukyah -must- be a nine branched candelabrum. Quite
simply, they are not the same thing. Just like the wiccan star and the
Star of David are not the same thing.

It's a *jewish, menorah* candelabre.

If you want to object to a Hanukyah display on some other grounds, go
ahead; we

Who's "we"?

can deal with those.

??? What do you want to make a deal about?

But claiming that it is "the official
emblem of the israeli government" is, quite simply, false.

A menorah candelabre IS the official Israeli state emblem, are you
saying it isn't?

Do you know any other countries who use a religious symbol used in
festivals as the national emblem?

"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about
what I accept as reality."
--- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson)

Arturo Magidin
magidin-at-member-ams-org

Old December 14th, 2006, 09:36 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.abortion,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
[email protected]

Arturo Magidin wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

Arturo Magidin wrote:
wrote:
Mark K. Bilbo wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:02:49 -0800, Laura Sanchez wrote:

Too bad Christianity doesn't return the favor.

Excuse me? It's Christians that are the only ones defending Israel and
denouncing anti-Semitism.

By refusing to add a menorah to the airport display?

It's not just some kind of festive decoration.
The menorah is the NATIONAL EMBLEM OF THE "STATE" OF ISRAEL Like the
eagle is to the US!:

http://www.science.co.il/Israel-Emblem.asp

You are confused.

The Menorah, the symbol that appears in the official seal of the state
of Israel, is a seven-arm candelabra; the Hanukiyah, the "Hanuka
menorah" has a different number of arms. They are different emblems,
just like the Star of David is different from the Wiccan five-pointed
star.

A minor detail, just like people will first think "nazi" when they see
a swastika, no matter which way round it is.

If that is your "argument" with regards to this, then you have just
shot yourself in the foot.

Not at all.

The vast majority of americans identify the candelabrum (7- or
9-branched) with Hanukah, not with the state of Israel. They call both
"menorah" (the former correclty, the latter incorrectly), and usually
misidentify a 7 branched candelabrum as a Hanukyah and think
"Hanukah". Few are aware of the difference, and the overwhelming
association is that of the holiday, not the political association
(exactly the opposite of the shubhtika, where most people will
misidentify it as political rather than religious). In any case, you
claimed that the 9-branch candelabrum -is- the "national emblem of
the "State" of Israel". And that is, quite simply, false. Explain it
away all you want now, you were still wrong.

Liar.
I never specified the amount of bloody candles of any menorah, so I am
not wrong about any number.
It's a menorah wether it's got seven or nine candles.
A menorah is both the Israeli state symbol and the festive one, and I
can think of quite a few people who would find it offensive,
particularly at an international airport.

Old December 14th, 2006, 10:16 PM posted to alt.abortion,alt.atheism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
[email protected]

On 14-Dec-2006, "Mark K. Bilbo" wrote:

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:38:26 -0800, markzoom wrote:

Mark K. Bilbo wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:02:49 -0800, Laura Sanchez wrote:

Too bad Christianity doesn't return the favor.

Excuse me? It's Christians that are the only ones defending Israel
and
denouncing anti-Semitism.

By refusing to add a menorah to the airport display?

It's not just some kind of festive decoration.
The menorah is the NATIONAL EMBLEM OF THE "STATE" OF ISRAEL

NO, IT IS NOT.
The chanukiah "menorah" used at Chanukah has eight branches and one in
the middle; the Israeli Menorah has six and one in the middle. It is
distinctly
different and for a reason that bigots like markzoom will never grasp - and
on
purpose.

Like the
eagle is to the US!:

http://www.science.co.il/Israel-Emblem.asp

I would find it highly offensive to have an 8 foot foreign state
emblem displayed by legal imposition in my country.

Which is, of course, why no one is suggesting it.

But hey, maybe
yanks should know who their real masters are.

That's stupid.

Yes, he is.

Doesn't matter what it means in Israel, this isn't Israel.
Here, many regard it as a religious symbol. If we're going to let one
religious symbol be displayed on public property at public expense, we
should let all of them be displayed.

Exactly.

Susan
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:20 PM posted to alt.abortion,alt.atheism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
[email protected]

On 14-Dec-2006, "Robibnikoff" wrote:

"Laura Sanchez" wrote in message
ups.com...
Too bad Christianity doesn't return the favor.

Excuse me? It's Christians that are the only ones defending Israel and
denouncing anti-Semitism.

Excuse me? Christians used to burn Jews at the stake.

I' m betting that Laura is relying solely on a specialized definition
of Xian - as in, no true Xian would ever do that....

Susan
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:22 PM posted to alt.abortion,alt.anarchism,alt.atheism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.jewish
[email protected]

On 14-Dec-2006, James A. Donald wrote:

James A. Donald:
But Xmastime is the time of the return of the sun -
it follows the shortest day of the year. Nothing
directly to do, except symbolically, with the birth
of that notorious Jewish heretic that you seem to be
so remarkably upset by.

Mike Hunt
That is the point. It is symbolically linked to the
birth of Christ, hence the name of the holiday.

But then, your basic grievance, or flavia's basic
grievance, is having a holiday on christmas,

You know you've lost more than the argument when
you have to tell such major whoppers like this.
Even if you don't admit it - WE know it.

Susan

hence the
impossibility of appeasing the lawsuit mongers by any
lesser measure.