Time to stop flying?

Old April 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default Time to stop flying?

In article ,
Erick T. Barkhuis -o-m wrote:

Roland Perry:
In message , at 19:47:56 on Mon, 7
Apr 2008, Gerald Oliver Swift remarked:
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

What will make me happy is [...] the ability to use my
camera-phone to take pictures out of the window.

Wouldn't any ol' camera do?

Somehow I can't imagine a camera phone offering quality comparable to
even the lowest-quality setting on my camera, but some people don't care.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old April 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"William Black" wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:25:05 on Tue, 8
Apr 2008, William Black remarked:
What will make me happy is [...] the ability to use my
camera-phone to take pictures out of the window.

Wouldn't any ol' camera do?

Travelling by plane is bad enough without carrying an excessive number
of
"gadgets", when you have one already.

You put a camera in your hold baggage?

No, I don't take a separate camera because I have camera-phone.

Camera phones take rubbish pictures.

Some people obviously don't care 8-)

Old April 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"tim \(not at home\)" wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:

John Kulp writes:

They never used them much in the US domestically either, which is why
Continental pulled them all out.

The situation may change dramatically if the system allows incoming calls
personal cell phones.

This will still be very expensive.

You have to have a reason to make a call. For most people the situation
will never occur where they have to make an outgoing call during the flight,
that couldn't have been made before they left (or wait until the arrive).
However, external factors could easily occur which requires the need to make
an incoming call to someone on the plane.

tim

None of that would make any difference to me; my phone wouldn't work
outside the US anyway. And I have a good camera which DOES go
everywhere with me, so I see no need for a phone for fotos.

Old April 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"Jeff Hacker" wrote:

"Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote in message

Mobile phone calls will be allowed on planes flying in European airspace
under new European Commission rules.
The decision means that mobiles could be used once a plane has reached an
altitude of 3,000m or more.

Gerry

I think it is time to buy stock in the Bose company (which makes those great
noise canceling headphones).

If they weren't quite so expensive, I'd buy some for myself, but I only
make long flights once a year. Pretty soon they'll be needed
everywhere, however.

Old April 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

JohnT writes:

Precisely. You posted a claim of FAA/FCC jurisdiction to a UK Newsgroup.

I simply replied to a post.
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

This will still be very expensive.

It will be affordable for many business travellers, although I daresay it will
not be welcome.
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Roland Perry writes:

Active noise cancellation is rubbish too. I bought a set, and while they
did reduce the background "throbbing" noise from the engines slightly,
they don't have any effect on "random" noises like people talking or
announcements (the latter a particular problem on some trains, rather
than planes).

It depends on how well they are designed. Active noise reduction need not be
based on pattern recognition; even random noise can be cancelled if it can be
detected before it reaches the ear.
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

This will still be very expensive.

It will be affordable for many business travellers, although I daresay it will
not be welcome.

I've been on a number of domestic flights in the US where there were
plenty of business travellers on board, and there were air phones. I
don't remember them being used much. It will all depend largely on the
pricing. What I suspect will be more useful, if provided, will be mobile
data services. I would pay 10 times as much for data on a flight,
compared to use on the ground, as it would still be fairly cheap for
email (without attachments.)

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_4_]

Following up to erilar

What will make me happy is [...] the ability to use my
camera-phone to take pictures out of the window.

Wouldn't any ol' camera do?

Somehow I can't imagine a camera phone offering quality comparable to
even the lowest-quality setting on my camera, but some people don't care.

as a picture through a window from train/plane etc is mostly rubbish
anyway........
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:13:25 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

This will still be very expensive.

It will be affordable for many business travellers, although I daresay
it will not be welcome.

I've been on a number of domestic flights in the US where there were
plenty of business travellers on board, and there were air phones. I
don't remember them being used much. It will all depend largely on the
pricing. What I suspect will be more useful, if provided, will be mobile
data services. I would pay 10 times as much for data on a flight,
compared to use on the ground, as it would still be fairly cheap for
email (without attachments.)

You might be within McD wifi range for some parts of the journey. )

If you were allowed to use your computer or PDA!