Belize City to Caulker by water taxi ??

Old December 28th, 2003, 04:04 PM
NYCutler

Default Belize City to Caulker by water taxi ??

Arriving in Belize City around noon & was hoping to head right to the dock to
catch a water taxi to Caye Caulker.

In the LP guide it doesnt show where to get a water taxi on the Belize City
map.

Is the dock in Belize City or on the outskirts of the city? What is it near?

Thanks!
Old December 28th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Dayle

There might be a closer option, but the water taxi I used was right in
Belize City, next to the Swing Bridge. So I think you'll need to take a
taxi into town from the airport -- maybe around 15 minutes and costs $20
USD.

If you're traveling light and want to stretch your legs, it is a 2 mile walk
down the airport road to the junction with the main road. From there, you
can catch a local bus for 50 cents to BC. Then you'll have to walk a
several blocks to Swing Bridge from the station. But if I had had a suitcase
or multiple bags, I would opt for a taxi.

Or to be honest, if I were at all tired from traveling, I think I would
simply walk up to the Tropic Air checkin and put myself on the next
puddle-jumper for a 15 minute flight over to Caye Caulker. You should be
able to walk right up to the desk and get a ticket for around $45 USD. The
boat ride is refreshing, but most of the boats I saw didn't have a roof, so
if it is raining, the flight is probably even more attractive...

For me, I took the bus when I arrived at Belize City airport and took the
taxi from BC to the airport for my return as I was running late. I never
took an airplane, but a friend of a friend who has a place in San Pedro
highly recommends taking the plane as it is fairly inexpensive and gets you
to a relaxing location (the Cayes) without having to stop at BC, which he
finds a hassle and perceives as dangerous...

My disclaimer... I've only visited Belize once, and that was from 12/Dec to
22/Dec of this year. So I'm no expert and there might be more options than
I know of... All of this is still fresh in my mind though, as I only
returned a few days ago.

Buena Suerta

Old December 30th, 2003, 06:55 AM
news.verizon.net

The water taxi dock to Caye Caulker is right by the swing bridge, downtown
Belize City. These fast boats are a great way to get to the cayes and
inexpensive. However, I wouldn't walk anywhere in or near Belize City. I
have been told just too often it is dangerous for us gringos. I even had a
cab driver who insisted on escorting me between his car and the bank and I
am a strong "fearless" (ha-ha) six-foot backpacker. Aside from the airport
cabs, taxis are so cheap. Use them and take long walks in all the other
places locals are nice, like Caye Caulker.
Have a great trip.
Louisg

Old December 30th, 2003, 02:27 PM

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:44:31 GMT, "Dayle"
wrote:

Or to be honest, if I were at all tired from traveling, I think I would
simply walk up to the Tropic Air checkin and put myself on the next
puddle-jumper for a 15 minute flight over to Caye Caulker. You should be
able to walk right up to the desk and get a ticket for around $45 USD.

Thanks for the info, Dayle. Can you tell me if credit cards and
traveller's checks are universally accepted in Caye Caulker?

Thanks!

Old December 31st, 2003, 12:55 PM
Dayle

wrote:

Or to be honest, if I were at all tired from traveling, I think I would
simply walk up to the Tropic Air checkin and put myself on the next
puddle-jumper for a 15 minute flight over to Caye Caulker. You should be
able to walk right up to the desk and get a ticket for around $45 USD.

Thanks for the info, Dayle. Can you tell me if credit cards and
traveller's checks are universally accepted in Caye Caulker?

Thanks!

Sorry, but I had cash for my short visit to Caye Caulker and never noticed
what else was accepted... But where there are tourist establishments, I am
sure there must be a way for them to accept monies... I know for sure that
US Dollars are widely accepted.

Just looked at one website and found:
http://www.belize-please.com/Caulker.html
"Only one bank serves the island. This is mostly for cash advances, as
most business establishments welcome credit cards, travelers checks, U.S. $
cash and Belize Dollars."

--Dayle

Old December 31st, 2003, 01:45 PM
Dayle

Default Remarkable Belizeans (was Belize City to Caulker by water taxi ??)

"news.verizon.net" wrote in message
The water taxi dock to Caye Caulker is right by the swing bridge, downtown
Belize City. These fast boats are a great way to get to the cayes and
inexpensive. However, I wouldn't walk anywhere in or near Belize City. I
have been told just too often it is dangerous for us gringos. I even had a
cab driver who insisted on escorting me between his car and the bank and I
am a strong "fearless" (ha-ha) six-foot backpacker. Aside from the airport
cabs, taxis are so cheap. Use them and take long walks in all the other
places locals are nice, like Caye Caulker.
Have a great trip.
Louisg

Yes, I too was told that Belize City is dangerous -- by a friend who owns a
place on Caye Caulker. He actually made me promise to fly straight to Caye
Caulker and not to even think about Belize City...

But I ended up spending a few days in BC and never had a problem, walking
freely -- sometimes alone and sometimes with a lady I met. I met her while
waiting for the bus from the airport to BC and she was most hospitable,
welcoming me into her house to stay with her and her two children. Her
advice about walking about BC was sensible

1. Don't carry a bag or wear flashy jewelry as the youth will just take it
from you even during the day. I noticed that almost all locals understood
this and most women did not carry a purse. I just kept my money in my
pocket, as did my friend.
2. Avoid walking at night. When we walked to/from my friend's house, we
usually went via the police station as there were always police in the
streets around it.

I'm not trying to dispute that safety is something to be aware of in BC...
However, I do feel that there is another side, and that I am so happy I
broke my "promise" to my friend from Caye Caulker...

In addition, to a wonderful experience with a remarkable lady I met, I also
met another remarkable woman, named Magnolia who was 77 years old. She's
Belizean and has lived in BC her old life. There must be something good
about Belizean life -- her father lived to 95 and her grandmother to 107!!!
At 77 she looked a bit frail, but was in great shape. She was a bit worried
about me walking alone, so we walked together back into town. I'm a woman
much younger and nearly 6 feet tall and yet she held on to me much as a
grandmother would in a protective manner with her grandchild. Magnolia
walked me throughout the town -- essentially giving me a tour. And every 5
minutes she would kindly ask if I was okay to keep walking, worried that I
might tire. We passed her friends along the way and everyone seemed so
friendly. Sometimes they were waiting for a bus... But Magnolia preferred
to walk... And walk we did! Yes, she is remarkable!!!

If you do decide to visit BC, you might want to stop by the library.
There's an fascinating older man there who will share his thoughts on the
secret to happiness in life. He truly seems wise, almost like an old Hindu
sage. I gather he is there most afternoons.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

--Dayle

Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:27 PM
sheri

The bank on Caye Caulker will do cash advances on cards - watch their
hours though - I don't think they were open all that frequently if
memory serves. Never tried travelers checks.