Which of These Cancun Hotels?

Old May 31st, 2004, 04:44 AM
Alan Bell

Default Which of These Cancun Hotels?

I have been told the following hotels are affordable. At which should I
consider staying? Which should I avoid?

Acamaya Reef Motel
Aristos Cancun Plaza Hotel
Best Western Cancun Clipper Club
Blue Sky Hotel
Cancun Beach Condos at Condominios Beisas
Cancun Clipper Club
Cancun Inn - El Patio
Caribbean Princess Resort
Casita Plaza
Club Verano Beat
Coco Rio Hotel
Don Emilione
Hotel Colibri
Hotel Costa Del Mar
Hotel Margaritas
Los Itzaes Hotel
Maria de Lourdes Hotel
Riviera del Sol Hotel
Suites Sina
Treetops Hotel

Old May 31st, 2004, 02:40 PM
Brian K

On 05/30/2004 11:44 PM Alan Bell consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

I have been told the following hotels are affordable. At which should I
consider staying? Which should I avoid?

Acamaya Reef Motel
Aristos Cancun Plaza Hotel
Best Western Cancun Clipper Club
Blue Sky Hotel
Cancun Beach Condos at Condominios Beisas
Cancun Clipper Club
Cancun Inn - El Patio
Caribbean Princess Resort
Casita Plaza
Club Verano Beat
Coco Rio Hotel
Don Emilione
Hotel Colibri
Hotel Costa Del Mar
Hotel Margaritas
Los Itzaes Hotel
Maria de Lourdes Hotel
Riviera del Sol Hotel
Suites Sina
Treetops Hotel

In Mexico there is Budget and then there's budget hotels. It all
depends on how basic you'd want to go. Is Air Conditioning a "must
have" or are you ok with an in-room fan? Coco's Cabañas in Punta Bete,
north of Playa del Carmen, is an extreme example of basic. They are
palapa style huts right on the beach. The floor consists of beach sand,
there's no electricity or tv / radio / ac. Yucatan style hammocks with
mosquito netting is in place of the usual queen / king bed. You do get a
prvt. bath / shower with solar heated water. There's a pool. Nearby is
a bar and grill. Off season you can stay at Coco's Cabañas for $45.00
during season it's just a little more.

I mention Coco's because it is always helpful to give folks a ballpark
figure and some idea of "must have" amenities when asking for hotel help.

I know a Don Emilione in Playa del Carmen (45 min south of Cancun). It
is basic. Small rooms, clean white sheets, a/c, on the second level off
the main tourist area of 5th Ave. There is a restaurant of the same
name facing 5th Ave. There is no pool but Don Emilione has a very quiet
beach. It's right in town, not far from the dock for the Cozumel ferry.

If the Don Emilione you mention is one and the same, it's a nice little
no frills hotel located in downtown Playa del Carmen. For its location,
the rooms are amazingly quiet...even if the views aren't very remarkable.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old May 31st, 2004, 05:50 PM
Drew Shuller

Alan, I think that the Coco Rio, the Don Emilione, the Colibri, the Costa
Del Mar, and the Treetops are in Playa Del Carmen...not the same thing as
Cancun at all. There you can find cheaper rates, closer to the beach, than
you can in Cancun.

I use Travelaxe as a research tool: www.travelaxe.com

Once I pick some hotels, I use www.tripadvisor.com to find reviews from
people that have stayed there. I stay away from Travelocity and the like,
they don't necessarily give me the best rates.

Check out the links on my website, there's a link to a Playa Del Carmen
All-Inclusive web board, and on that page there will be a link to an
identical site about All-inclusives in Cancun...not that I'm a big fan, but
it's there if you need it. There are other links on my webpage that will
lead you to web boards covering Playa del Carmen.

Drew
Waco, TX
www.io.com/~dru/DrewsWebPage01.htm

Old May 31st, 2004, 06:42 PM
Webkatz

"Brian K" wrote in message
ink.net...
On 05/30/2004 11:44 PM Alan Bell consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

Coco's Cabañas in Punta Bete,
north of Playa del Carmen, is an extreme example of basic. They are
palapa style huts right on the beach. The floor consists of beach sand,
there's no electricity or tv / radio / ac. Yucatan style hammocks with
mosquito netting is in place of the usual queen / king bed. You do get a
prvt. bath / shower with solar heated water. There's a pool. Nearby is
a bar and grill.

Don't know when you stayed there, but at least since 2003 Coco's has 5
tile-floored cabañas about a block from the beach with electricity, queen /
king beds with netting, ceiling fans, and a phone in the on-premise bar:
http://www.webkatz.net/Mexico/puntabete.html

Dave

Old May 31st, 2004, 09:22 PM
Alan Bell

Drew: you de man! I will always remember you as the person who turned me on
to Travelaxe. What a great tool!

And thanks to others who replied, too.

news