Airport restrictions

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
-hh

Default Airport restrictions

Rosalie B. wrote:
My husband and I are having an argument, and I've looked on the
internet and can't find the answer.

We are flying from Newark to Heathrow and then to Shannon. I thought
I could take an empty water bottle through the screening, and then
fill it at the tap and take it on the plane. Or alternately buy some
water in the waiting area. He says I will not be able to take any
liquids onto the plane including things bought in the waiting area.

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do that at Heathrow, but that's not
as important.

Rosalie,

Newark's my home hub airport; you'll be fine taking an empty or
purchasing a bottle inside of security.

Since you're going to Heathrow, its safe to say that you're not going
to be in terminal C (Continental). Whichever terminal's leg you end
up on, if you can find a bookstore instead of a food service area,
I've found that they tend to have less expensive prices on water.

For Heathrow, be particulary aware of the "1 bag, no exceptions!" rule
and also check bag sizes too. I also have it on authority from an
Englishman coworker who goes through there a lot that the classical
English politeness is missing from their security personnel and that
they can be downright rude.

Here's the official website for Heathrow's current carry-on baggage
rules:

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/security.html

-hh

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter

Uncle Peter wrote:

How would they know whether it purchased before boarding or
on another flight leg, out of curiosity? No one mentioned that
fact to us at the airport, thanks for the warning.

Pete

STT might be a slight deviation form the rest of the rules as one does
not have to clear customs and additional security after landing from
STT, but for true international flights, the secondary screening is
where you are caught.
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
-hh

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
Be aware that if you change
terminals at LHR, you will only be allowed ONE carry-on. It is NOT
one carry-on plus a personal item such as a laptop or purse like you
can at most airports.

This is factually incorrect. The rule is one carry-on for all
flights.

It can ...and does (I've had coworkers get 'caught')...get enforced
internally at the gate as well as at the security checkpoint.

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter

-hh wrote:
Ray Goldenberg wrote:
Be aware that if you change
terminals at LHR, you will only be allowed ONE carry-on. It is NOT
one carry-on plus a personal item such as a laptop or purse like you
can at most airports.

This is factually incorrect. The rule is one carry-on for all
flights.

It can ...and does (I've had coworkers get 'caught')...get enforced
internally at the gate as well as at the security checkpoint.

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/security.html

-hh

UHHH? Isn't that what Ray said????
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
-hh

Joseph Coulter wrote:

UHHH? Isn't that what Ray said????

No.

Ray said: "Be aware that if you change terminals..."

The rule applies everywhere, including WITHIN terminals.

-hh

Old May 28th, 2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On 27 May 2007 19:13:05 -0700, -hh
wrote:

For Heathrow, be particulary aware of the "1 bag, no exceptions!" rule
and also check bag sizes too. I also have it on authority from an
Englishman coworker who goes through there a lot that the classical
English politeness is missing from their security personnel and that
they can be downright rude.

Hi,

I will vouch for the above. The workers do not appear to be 2nd or
more generation Brits. vbg

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On 27 May 2007 20:21:03 -0700, -hh
wrote:

The rule applies everywhere, including WITHIN terminals.

Fortunately if you don't change terminals, you don't go through
security hence there is not the requirement. Sorry if you did not
understand my answer.

Old May 28th, 2007, 06:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
-hh

On May 28, 12:03 am, Ray Goldenberg wrote:
On 27 May 2007 20:21:03 -0700, -hh
wrote:

The rule applies everywhere, including WITHIN terminals.

Fortunately if you don't change terminals, you don't go through
security hence there is not the requirement. Sorry if you did not
understand my answer.

Ray,

I perfectly understood your answer.

Unfortunately, your answer is still wrong.

The "1 bag" rule can ... and is periodically ... be enforced at the
gate.

At gates with secondary security stations.
And gates without secondary security stations.

In other words:

"All gates at Heathrow."

What you're trying to assume is that once you're inside of security,
no one is going to care. This is a false assumption.

Granted, you might have luck in sliding by, but you run the risk of
getting stopped, and then forced to leave the secure area to go check
an additional bag.

I've had two coworkers have this happen to them so far this year.

-hh

Old May 28th, 2007, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 5/28/2007 1:15 AM -hh exclaimed:

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't it be easier for the OP to call his/her carrier and ask these
questions? The TSA web site can be a little confusing, but I've found
in most cases the airline answered my questions correctly and in a
manner I could understand.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

wrote:
The rule applies everywhere, including WITHIN terminals.

Fortunately if you don't change terminals, you don't go through
security hence there is not the requirement. Sorry if you did not
understand my answer.

I perfectly understood your answer.

Unfortunately, your answer is still wrong.

The "1 bag" rule can ... and is periodically ... be enforced at the
gate.

Since I AM going to be changing terminals I WILL have to go through
security when I change planes. So that point is moot.

But someone kindly answered my question water purchase or refill
with a link to Heathrow.

I didn't care about the one bag rule as I was already intending to put
my laptop into my carryon and will only have one. I will check to see
what my grandson has.

I still don't know if a cane counts (although I think not), coat (also
think not) and I have some minor questions about something like a
fanny pack would count (I'm guessing it would count)

At gates with secondary security stations.
And gates without secondary security stations.

In other words:

"All gates at Heathrow."

What you're trying to assume is that once you're inside of security,
no one is going to care. This is a false assumption.

Granted, you might have luck in sliding by, but you run the risk of
getting stopped, and then forced to leave the secure area to go check
an additional bag.

I've had two coworkers have this happen to them so far this year.

Wouldn't it be easier for the OP to call his/her carrier and ask these
questions? The TSA web site can be a little confusing, but I've found
in most cases the airline answered my questions correctly and in a
manner I could understand.

The reason for that is that it isn't the carrier in question (because
I had no problem with the carryon bag restrictions) but the specific
airport that was in question. In this case Newark and Heathrow. I
did look on the carrier's website and did not find it any more helpful
than the TSA website.