'Fairness' Follies

Old June 29th, 2007, 06:03 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,soc.retirement
Earl Evleth[_2_]

Default 'Fairness' Follies

Even though we live in Paris, France, Donna and I listen to Rush
Limbaugh every day at 6:00PM through our computer on WABC radio New
York City, followed by Sean Hannity.

In case you haven't been listening to talk radio, the issue of the
hour -- no, every minute -- is the attempt by Democrats in Congress to
revive the "Fairness Doctrine." If Democrats want to mobilize
conservative voters for the 2008 election, they should keep this up.

The Fairness Doctrine was codified in 1949 when the Federal
Communications Commission required broadcasters to present
controversial issues in a fair and balanced manner. The effect was
that broadcasters avoided political discussions, lest they court
government fines and perhaps the loss of a federal license. The
doctrine was finally thrown out by the FCC in the 1980s after it had
become widely recognized as a muzzle on political debate.

One result was that talk radio began to flourish, led by Rush
Limbaugh. Radio airwaves aren't ideological, but conservatives tend to
dominate the talk genre. Perhaps this is because conservative
listeners have few other broadcast media outlets, or perhaps their
leading radio lights are simply better. Liberal talkers have tried to
compete but have mostly flopped, led by Al Franken and Air America.

This seems to frustrate Democrats, whose response is that if you can't
join 'em, shut 'em up by restoring the Fairness Doctrine. California's
Dianne Feinstein floated the idea on "Fox News Sunday" this week. And
Dick Durbin of Illinois said the doctrine needs to be reinstituted
because "I have this old-fashioned idea that when Americans hear both
sides of the story, they're in a better position to decide."

Both sides? Does he mean this in the way both sides are presented on
CNN, National Public Radio, PBS, the main broadcast networks,
Hollywood, or nearly every major metropolitan newspaper in the U.S.?
Does anyone honestly believe that liberals lack for outlets across the
breadth of American media?

We don't always agree with conservative talkers, some of whom are
perpetually angry. (One reason for Mr. Limbaugh's success is that he
breaks that mold in being both funny and an optimist.) For all their
complaints, Democrats also don't hesitate to use talk radio when it
serves their purposes, as they did last year to back up their campaign
against the Dubai Ports deal. But talk radio is only one of many media
alternatives in the Internet age, and trying to suppress it is bad
politics and worse government.

Old June 29th, 2007, 08:59 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,soc.retirement
Al E. Gator

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

and coming from 2 hillbilly frogs, we superior Americans should be
influenced by your opinions why ?,

it's obvious you two don't have a brain between you,

the conservatives are finished, your conservatism is dead,

do any of you shallow and one dimensional thinking hillbillies
ever analyze an issue and come to the proper and logical explanation ?

why don't you try to give us the reason why the vast majority of talk radio
programs are conservative while less than 50 % of the population is

ya dumb ass

Old June 29th, 2007, 11:17 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,soc.retirement
Capitalist Pig[_1_]

From: "Al E. Gator"
Newsgroups:
alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,soc.r etirem*ent
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 03:59:41 -0400
Subject: 'Fairness' Follies

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

and coming from 2 hillbilly frogs, we superior Americans should be
influenced by your opinions why ?,

it's obvious you two don't have a brain between you,

the conservatives are finished, your conservatism is dead,

do any of you shallow and one dimensional thinking hillbillies
ever analyze an issue and come to the proper and logical explanation ?

why don't you try to give us the reason why the vast majority of talk radio
programs are conservative while less than 50 % of the population is

ya dumb ass

A "hillbilly frog" is in fact the originator of the post, but he is not us.
His name is Stephen Bach, of American origin, he lives in France and claims
to be a French citizen by naturalization through marriage to a French woman.
Stephen Bach loves to forge Earl's name to conservative posts that Earl
would never think of making. Ironically it is our left wing politics that
make Stephen hate us.

Incidentally, since we have dual nationality, we are also "superior
Americans". We are deeper and have more dimensions than you think.

Donna Evleth

- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

superior Americans? Then why are your "accomplishments" limited to
posting blather in Internet news groups? You are two deluded
assholes,
who grovel for attention and respect; you get neither; you more
despised than pitied. No wonder they showed pops the door when he
reached 65.

Old June 30th, 2007, 06:43 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,talk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,soc.retirement
Al E. Gator

"Jerry Okamura" wrote in message
Ah yes, don't discuss the issue, resort to personal insults....

what's the matter ?

typical conservative : we can dish it out but can't take it whining from you
cutting and running gomers ???
so