London Public Transit

Old December 17th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Giovanni Drogo

Default London Public Transit

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Alan Harrison wrote:

It's cheaper than going from Zone 1 to Zone 3 on a single, not because it's
a special price but because you will either be travelling from Zone 2 or, if
you are lucky, the last station in Zone 2 will be a "border" station also in
Zone 3, requiring a one-zone single ticket.

You are lucky (in which city do you live ?).

Here in Milan we not have a formal zone 1,2,3 and so on but
"semi-zones".

The standard urban ticket (1 euro, 75 minutes) covers the entire
municipal area.

If you have to go from a generic place in town, to a place out of town,
say in the immediately surrounding belt, you need a "cumulative" ticket.
The cheapest one (C1 "yellow" or U+1/2 which is "Urban plus one
semizone) is 1.50 euro (90 minutes).

However if you live outside of the "trolleybus circular line" and have
to go out of town without crossing the centre, and withut interchanges
on urban lines, you need an "interurban" ticket. The cheapest one is the
I1 (yellow, 1 zone) which is 1.15 euro (60 minutes).

There is also a "communal" ticket (0.95 euro, 60 minutes) which is valid
in the municipal area of a single (outer) commune (i.e. EXCEPTED Milan).
However that's not valid on the metro. So if you take the metro from say
Sesto FS or Sesto Rondo' (2 or 1 stops) to Sesto Marelli (border into
Milan) you have to pay 1.15.

Now I am an yearly urban pass holder (300 euro), and was quite
displeased to find that if I want to go to Sesto Rondo' (1 stop outside
of the area for which I have right to unlimited travel), I have to take
the I1 ticket (1.15 euro) anyhow !!

Paying twice all the Loreto-Sesto Marelli stretch already covered by my
pass !

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Old December 17th, 2003, 04:37 PM
David Horne

Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Alan Harrison wrote:

It's cheaper than going from Zone 1 to Zone 3 on a single, not because it's
a special price but because you will either be travelling from Zone 2 or, if
you are lucky, the last station in Zone 2 will be a "border" station also in
Zone 3, requiring a one-zone single ticket.

You are lucky (in which city do you live ?).

Here in Milan we not have a formal zone 1,2,3 and so on but
"semi-zones".

The standard urban ticket (1 euro, 75 minutes) covers the entire
municipal area.

I think you mean 1 euro, 75 cents, right?

No, Giovanni, you're the lucky one. Anyone living in UK cities pays
_far_ more than that, on average, for their puplic transport. A single
ticket covering the entire tram network in Manchester is around five
euros, and isn't valid on any other form of transport!

Now I am an yearly urban pass holder (300 euro),

A similar type of pass in the UK would cost about three times as much,
though there's quite a bit of variation. Like I said, I think you're the
lucky one!

Of course, motorists pay among the highest fuel taxes in Europe as well,
so everyone trying to get anywhere gets clobbered.

David

--
David Horne- (website under reconstruction)
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old December 17th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Richard

"Alan Harrison" wrote in message

It's cheaper than going from Zone 1 to Zone 3 on a single, not
because it's a special price but because you will either be
travelling from Zone 2 or, if you are lucky, the last station in
Zone 2 will be a "border" station also in Zone 3, requiring a
one-zone single ticket. Is there an equivalent ticket in London?

The PDF is now nearly a year old (dated Jan 03) and doesn't
include the more reecent concession regarding not requiring a
photocard for the inner London 7-day cards.

Thanks for the information, Alan.

Richard

Old December 17th, 2003, 07:25 PM
P J Wallace

No you don't need a photocard for a 7day card (they haven't updated
all the info on the website yet, but this was decided back in May!)
and yes you can get add-on tickets, either from the machines or ask
the ticket office clerk.

PJW

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:44:08 -0500, "Richard" wrote:

Hello,

I'm going to London soon and from what I can tell on the web, I can get a
weekly pass for the tube and buses that will cost 19.60 GBP and allow me to
travel in zones 1 & 2.

In my city, if I have a pass for zones 1 & 2, then decide that I want to go
to zone 3, I can buy a single ticket to be used in conjunction with my pass
and travel from zone 1 to zone 3. This "add-on" ticket is less expensive
than the ticket required by a person without a pass wanting to go from zone
1 to zone 3. Is there an equivalent ticket in London?

I've found conflicting information on the use of photocards. One page at
TFL's website (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/nftt_photocard_intro.shtml) seems
to imply that I would not need a photocard to use an adult fare seven-day
travelcard for zones one and two. On the other hand,
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tickets/fandtjan2003.pdf does not mention
that exception when it discusses photocards (pg 7) or seven-day travelcards
(pg 15). Does anyone know whether or not I would need to get a photocard in
order to use such a travelcard?

Thank you very much!

Richard

Old December 17th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:05:45 -0500, Mark A. Meggs
wrote:

You can take the tube from Heathrow, but you must be traveling light.
There's no place to store luggage on the cars.

"Must"?

We've used the Tube everytime and with some fairly bulky luggage.

Heathrow Express (train) will take you to Paddington Station in about 15
minutes. Some think it's overpriced, some think the convenience is worth
it.

Then you hve to get from Paddington station to wherever you are
going.

Old December 17th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Jenn

wrote:

You can take the tube from Heathrow, but you must be traveling light.
There's no place to store luggage on the cars.

"Must"?

We've used the Tube everytime and with some fairly bulky luggage.

since when you get on at Heathrow, the car is empty it is really quite
easy to arrange luggage etc and ride wherever you want to go -- some
stations make lugging luggage a chore once you get there -- but the ride
itself is not an issue.
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:46:57 -0500, "Richard"
wrote:

"Alan Harrison" wrote in message

It's cheaper than going from Zone 1 to Zone 3 on a single, not
because it's a special price but because you will either be
travelling from Zone 2 or, if you are lucky, the last station in
Zone 2 will be a "border" station also in Zone 3, requiring a
one-zone single ticket. Is there an equivalent ticket in London?

The PDF is now nearly a year old (dated Jan 03) and doesn't
include the more reecent concession regarding not requiring a
photocard for the inner London 7-day cards.

Thanks for the information, Alan.

FWIW, the fare brochure PDF I downloaded last May clearly says on
page 22 "A photocard is is not required for adult rate 7 Day Zone
1 or 2 or Zones 1 & 2 Travelcard Seasons."

Old December 17th, 2003, 09:41 PM
David Horne

wrote:

indeed - it's getting from the centre back to heathrow where luggage is a
problem for the bearer and an irritation for other passengers!

If you want to know what hell feels like, try sitting with two suitcases
on a Feltham-Waterloo service (after taking the bus from LFR) on a
weekday morning rush hour. The look of disdain from other passengers
still sticks in my mind.

David

Old December 17th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Alan Harrison

"David Horne" wrote in message
news:1g64dtt.1jycp2ky7v5cnN%this_address_is_for_sp ...
Giovanni Drogo wrote:
The standard urban ticket (1 euro, 75 minutes) covers the entire
municipal area.

I think you mean 1 euro, 75 cents, right?

No, Sig. Drago meant what he wrote. One euro buys a ticket valid for 75
minutes on the Milanese public transport system, inlcuding one underground
journey (which may include changes of line). The user may change as often as
he/she likes between trams, buses and trolleybuses. IIRC a 24-hour ticket
costs only three euros.

Alan Harrison