Moscow and St Petersburg vacaton

Old February 18th, 2004, 03:48 PM
elliot

Default Moscow and St Petersburg vacaton

Anyone fly Aeroflot, or stay in hotels in Moscow or St Pete, use the
trains from Moscow to St Petes, any suggestions at all, welcome

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:17 PM
elliot

and safety issues

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:26 PM
milesh

elliot wrote:

Anyone fly Aeroflot, or stay in hotels in Moscow or St Pete, use the
trains from Moscow to St Petes, any suggestions at all, welcome

I have visited both cities and flown Aeroflot but that was so long ago
it won't help your visit. I was there in 1979. I believe it was called
Leningrad back then. We had a great time, were treated very well and
overall had a great visit. There were some oddities of the times back
then that I believe have changed. When on aeroflot we had to keep
cameras stowed away. During our flight there were many times we were
instructed to close our window shades. The flight from Moscow to
Leningrad was a strange one. Every 10 minutes the plane made an abrupt
turn to the right followed 10 minutes later by a turn back to the left
making a constant zig-zag course. Our tour guide told us that these
procedures were done for security reasons such that nobody could easily
determine approaches into major areas in Russia. I have to believe that
things have changed considerably from those days.

Do see the Bolshoi in Moscow and the Circus in St. Petes. Both shows
were fantastic. The Moscow subway was one of the cleanest, most elegant
subways I have seen.

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Rasmus Lundbye

.. The Moscow subway was one of the cleanest, most elegant
subways I have seen.

It still is...!

I flew Copenhagen-Moscow with Aeroflot to years ago. The planes are not
pretty, but otherwise there's no problems with them. And they are cheap.

We spent 5 days in Moscow before taking the transsiberian train.

Beautiful city! One of my favourites, if not my favourite. There's so much
to see and so many small things that still seperates it from Western Europe.
For instance that there's an old lady at every esculator. Her work:
Basically to do nothing.

I could go on.

Enjoy! You'll love it.

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Rasmus Lundbye" wrote in message

For instance that there's an old lady at every esculator. Her work:
Basically to do nothing.

Basically that's how things are made up in Russia.

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Rupert Fiennes

It's fun.

Old February 18th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Bjorn Olsson

(elliot) wrote in message ...
Anyone fly Aeroflot,

Yes, very often. Its fine. Low price, same service as anyone else. No
smoking.

or stay in hotels in Moscow or St Pete,

http://www.tourintel.ru/hotels/

I don't use hotels much, so have only been in this one:

http://www.tourintel.ru/hotels/e_ru_mow_ros.html

Very convenient location (you can see one of the Kremlin wall towers
to the left in that photo, which gives you an idea).

use the
trains from Moscow to St Petes, any suggestions at all, welcome

Here's a train overview:

http://www.waytorussia.net/Transport...etersburg.html

It can be done in under 5 hours on the faster trains. 2nd class should
be fine, but avoid 3rd.

They also offer train tickets online, which may be a good idea - the
train stations can be a bit more confusing than you'd imagine:

http://www.waytorussia.net/Services/TrainTickets.html

Bjorn
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Steven

Went to Moscow and St. Petersburgh 18 months ago. Got the sleeper train
between both cities without any major problems. English isn't widly spoken
by most Russians, so you might want to get some one to write you a note in
Russian when reserving your train tickets. Get your tickets there, and not
through a travel agent -- they could cost about £10 return (I can't remember
how much in Rubles).

You should consider going to the Bolshoi and the Mariinsky in St.
Petersburg. Both are fantastic theatres.

Steve

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Luca Logi

elliot wrote:

Anyone fly Aeroflot, or stay in hotels in Moscow or St Pete, use the
trains from Moscow to St Petes, any suggestions at all, welcome

I flied a very early flight on Aeroflot from Moscow to St. Petersburg:
it was an Airbus and it was comparable to a western airline.

Avoid Hotel Moskwa in St. Petersburg.

About safety: Moscow seemed normal. In St. Petersburg three colleagues
of mine were each stopped by four persons and mugged. The accidents all
happened in the underground passage near Gostiny Dvor metro station.

If you understand Italian, a complete report of my travel in Russia is
at: (particularly interesting
to prospective Hotel Moskwa dwellers).

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:04 PM
louis xiv

Hotal Belgrad in moscow is fine and reasonably priced.
Take a torch on the train. Go to the Museum of the Great Patriotic War in
Moscow.
:-)