Spain Travel Suggestions needed

Old July 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

Default Spain Travel Suggestions needed

On 2008-07-15, tile wrote:

Spain is a modern country where everything functions very well.
people are kind and prices are reasonable

I was in Madrid last year, and was quite surprised at how expensive it
was.

You'd be even more surprised how expensive it is this year!
Spain's GDP per capita is now the same as Japan's.

Gerry

Old July 17th, 2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:

3) how many days will I need to spend at each of these destinations
and what would be the best mode of transportation to travel between
cities and inside the city?

From Barcelona to Madrid I would take the train. Plane takes too long (not
the flight itself, but you have to get to the airport, check in 2 hours
before the flight, wait on your luggage after the flight and so on..).

Is that true of regular trains or only if you're taking the AVE?

Any plans for an AVE link between Barcelona and Seville?

Is there a train station near BCN or do you have to come into town?
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

3) how many days will I need to spend at each of these destinations
and what would be the best mode of transportation to travel between
cities and inside the city?

From Barcelona to Madrid I would take the train. Plane takes too long
(not
the flight itself, but you have to get to the airport, check in 2 hours
before the flight, wait on your luggage after the flight and so on..).

Is that true of regular trains or only if you're taking the AVE?

Any plans for an AVE link between Barcelona and Seville?

Is there a train station near BCN or do you have to come into town?

When we did this it was simple and inexpensive to do MADBCN on Iberia.
Found it very simple to do it all online.
Regards, s

Old July 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

I am planning my first trip to Spain late August / early September
and would like some help in making the plans.

I am planning to visit Barcelona, Madrid and Gran Canary Islands in
this trip.

The Canaries combined with Spain? Thats going to stretch you for time. The
Canaries are very interesting islands (if you overlook the sun/sand
resorts) but you can't fit them in with Spain in a couple of weeks.

Sugggestions needed on the following:

1) Are there any other locations besideds these 3 I should be
visiting?

I go to Spain a lot and I rarely visit Madrid, Barcelona is good for the
Gaudi architecture and the Ramblas. Depends is you want capital cities
(both are) or a feel of the rest of Spain.
Spain is very regional. My recommendations are Santiago, St Sebastian,
Cordoba and maybe Sevilla. Then some smaller places you take a liking to
during your research (I wouldnt visit the east coast on first visit) Most
people go for Andalucia first (its what people imagine all of Spain to be).
I wouldnt try to cover the whole country in two weeks.

2) I will be travelling from USA, so I would like to know how should I
begin the travel, for example, fly to madrid then go to barcelona and
then gran canary islands ?

Grand Canaria is just one of "Los Canarios" or "Canary Islands"
"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/canaries.htm"
I imagine most of your potential flights will be to Madrid.

3) how many days will I need to spend at each of these destinations

You can get a feel for a place with a two night stop (especially as you
don't want to trudge round museums).

and what would be the best mode of transportation to travel between
cities and inside the city?

If you want to see smaller places and the countryside hire a car, if you
want to concentrate just on big cities there are fast trains between some
of the major ones. You could start and finish in Madrid, just hiring a car
in between.

4) Any good websites to book hotels in spain?
4) Any particular must see places / attractions while visiting these
places ( I am not a big fan of museum).?

I wouldnt miss the Alhambra (Granada) and the Mesquita (Cordoba)

5) Any nice restaurants to try some good spanish food?

Only about a million! El Bulli is reputed to be the worlds best restaurant,
but you wont get in. Its probably best to just look around where you are
Read my food pages he-
"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/espania.htm" that will give you a start.
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to Frank Hucklenbroich

Gran Canary is purly for beach, there is not much more there to see or do.
I would prefer Tenerife, where you still have the beach, but you can also
make a tour to the Teide-Vulcano area,

Tenerife is certainly the most interesting of the islands. Gran Canaria has
had a lot of recent forest fire damage (the new parador is closed again).
On beaches I would comment that nearly all Tenerifes beaches are
artificial, nice enough if thats OK, funny a really interesting island is
best known for something it doesnt really have. All the islands are good
for walking, but not in august (too hot).
"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/tenerifepics.htm"
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
"Steve Cain" wrote:

3) how many days will I need to spend at each of these destinations
and what would be the best mode of transportation to travel between
cities and inside the city?

From Barcelona to Madrid I would take the train. Plane takes too long
(not
the flight itself, but you have to get to the airport, check in 2 hours
before the flight, wait on your luggage after the flight and so on..).

Is that true of regular trains or only if you're taking the AVE?

Any plans for an AVE link between Barcelona and Seville?

Is there a train station near BCN or do you have to come into town?

When we did this it was simple and inexpensive to do MADBCN on Iberia.
Found it very simple to do it all online.
Regards, s

Thanks, but I was wondering if there would ever be an AVE link between
Barcelona and Seville, not Barcelona and Madrid.

It seems it's easy to get to MAD or BCN from Western European hubs like
CDG but to get to SVQ, a lot of flights get routed through MAD and BCN
anyways.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
magnusiax magnusiax is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanky View Post
Hello Everyone,

[...]

6) Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help;
Shanky
Hello,
I suggest you try cadiz for sight seeing . But if you're a party lover definitely ibiza is for you.

Last edited by magnusiax : July 23rd, 2008 at 07:28 AM.