Europe Trip-Mid Aug

Old July 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kamakazee

Default Europe Trip-Mid Aug

On Jul 19, 11:28*pm, yod-yog+ais "d?g
wrote:
On 7/18/2008 5:17 PM Kamakazee ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

On Jul 18, 6:19 pm, yeadeagisss dai/gea/isss/0nne/3hrree/zer0/
wrote:
Kamakazee wrote:
On Jul 18, 4:45 pm, yeadeagisss dai/gea/isss/0nne/3hrree/zer0/
wrote:
Are you familar with the "speed trains"? *If
so, do they run from Barcelona to Hungary?
There is no direct high-speed train service from Barcelona to Budapest.
It's a very long and tiring voyage via train, with a minimum of three,
and as many as eight changes.
Sounds like it's out of the question. *She has a tolerance of no more
than 4 hours sitting at one time.
You sure you meant "Barcelona" and not "Vienna?"

Hint: *Barcelona is in Spain. *Vienna is in Austria.

Yes, I meant Barcelona, or more specifically Vilafranca.

Do you ever look at maps of Europe? *It should be painfully obvious that
Barcelona is much farther than four hours' travel time, by land, from
anywhere in Hungary.

I'm starting to detect trollscent.- Hide quoted text -

Determine what you want, but you're free to not respond. It's my
understanding these speed trains travel at very very high rates of
speed.

And are you saying that it's not possible to fly from Barcelona to
Hungary?
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kamakazee

On Jul 19, 11:32*pm, yod-yog+ais "d?g
wrote:
On 7/19/2008 9:52 AM Kamakazee ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

On Jul 19, 7:04 am, "Mike....."
wrote:
Following up to Kamakazee

I will be in Spondon on a Mon-Wed, flying into Manchester and driving
to Spondon. Will this most likely be fatal? *I've budgeted 2 hours,
workable? *Is there a train I could take?
you should be able to drive in two hours

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced I'll do the driving. *Particularly since no
foriegn language will create additional hurdles on this leg fo the
trip. *My notes reflect that it's 88 miles, are these roads "highways"
in the sense we have them in the states?

Once again, I detect a note of trollscent. *Spend some time looking up
"motorway" in Google or Wikipedia, ffs. *Do you have any idea what roads
are like in Europe? *If not, please warn everyone when you get there, so
they can clear the roads before you do something tragic.

Also, I'll fly out of Manchester to Copenhagen that Weds, is there
still a 2 hour early arrival requirement even though these are EU
countries?

Check with the airline. *Check with the airport.

Cool, I have as noted in the earlier post. And the trip is planned.
It's the driving I've been querying.

Pull your head out and quit burning my time, if you can be so kind.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
yod-yog+ais

On 7/20/2008 7:34 AM Kamakazee ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

wrote:

Do you ever look at maps of Europe? It should be painfully obvious that
Barcelona is much farther than four hours' travel time, by land, from
anywhere in Hungary.

I'm starting to detect trollscent.

Determine what you want, but you're free to not respond.

You're equally free to not read.

It's my
understanding these speed trains travel at very very high rates of
speed.

They don't travel at mach 0.8! High-speed services have tended to be
national, like ES* Italia, Spain's AVE, Germany's ICE, and France's TGV.
The transnational Eurostar (UK-France-Belgium) and Thalys (Germany-
Belgium-Netherlands) trains are exceptions. In any event, these trains
might attain peak speeds of 300 km/h - pretty fast, yes, but not the
average speed of a typical run, since acceleration/deceleration and
station stop times account for a lower average speed.

And are you saying that it's not possible to fly from Barcelona to
Hungary?

Where did I claim that? I simply stated the truth: there is no
continuous high-speed train service between Barcelona and, say,
Budapest. Such a route requires a long train voyage with multiple
changes. A truly international trans-Europe high-speed service
has yet to be developed, for numerous historical reasons, and it
remains to be seen if a genuinely EU-wide high-speed train system
will ever be developed. In the meantime, deregulation and the
emergence of low-cost carriers across Europe have, so far, made
flying an attractive alternative, and so it is with BCN-BUD. To
get an idea of what's available, try www.skyscanner.net or
www.flycheapo.com.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
yod-yog+ais

On 7/20/2008 7:36 AM Kamakazee ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

Pull your head out and quit burning my time, if you can be so kind.

Take your own advice, peanut. This isn't paid advice, and you're not
obligated to use it. If you want to see what the various roads in
Europe look like, open a couple of browser windows and use Google Maps
(maps.google.com) to compare overhead views of the road networks you're
used to with the routes you're planning to use overseas. You'll find
more similarities than differences along the main routes (other than
the obvious difference of left-hand road rules in the UK).
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kamakazee

wrote:

[...]

You claimed something along the line that it was impossible to remain
seated for 4 hours on such a trip.

I honestly don't care to argue. I appreciate your help, but take note
of your reference of a troll, which I am anything but.

Again, thanks.
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
yod-yog+ais

On 7/20/2008 7:50 PM Kamakazee ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

On Jul 20, 2:53 pm, yod-yog+ais "d?g
wrote:
On 7/20/2008 7:34 AM Kamakazee ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

And are you saying that it's not possible to fly from Barcelona to
Hungary?

Where did I claim that? I simply stated the truth: there is no
continuous high-speed train service between Barcelona and, say,
Budapest. Such a route requires a long train voyage with multiple
changes.

You claimed something along the line that it was impossible to remain
seated for 4 hours on such a trip.

I never claimed such a thing. I stated (correctly) that there is no
single easy way to do high-speed rail travel between Barcelona and
Budapest. It requires several changes of trains. In between, it's
nearly a given that there will be travel segments of at least four
hours; the entire voyage takes more than a day. It's the kind of
trip that requires a bit of planning, including purchasing seat
reservations. These days, it's easier to fly instead, but that may
change in the near future.
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
yod-yog+ais

On 7/20/2008 7:50 PM Kamakazee ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

I appreciate your help, but take note
of your reference of a troll, which I am anything but.

Fair enough, apologies for the mistake claim then.

Again, thanks.

Welcome.
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to Kamakazee

are these roads "highways"
in the sense we have them in the states?

what is the US sense of "highway"?
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kamakazee

On Jul 20, 10:14*pm, yod-yog+ais "d?g
wrote:
On 7/20/2008 7:50 PM Kamakazee ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

* I appreciate your help, but take note
of your reference of a troll, which I am anything but.

Fair enough, apologies for the mistake claim then.

Again, thanks.

Welcome.

And I apologize for my shortness. Is that American in my rearing its
ugly head yet again....

thks
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kamakazee

On Jul 21, 1:01*am, "Mike....."
wrote:
Following up to Kamakazee

are these roads "highways"
in the sense we have them in the states?

what is the US sense of "highway"?
--
remove clothing to email

Well I'm in Texas, so a typical highway here is 5 or 6 lanes, with
SUVs going apprx 70-80 mph!