'Da Vinci Code' to be shot inside Louvre

Old January 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM
Earl Evleth

Default 'Da Vinci Code' to be shot inside Louvre

On the other hand the Eglise at Saint Sulpice doesn`t
want to hear about this movie, nor the Vatican, nor
Opus Dei.

The Louvre sees this as their product mentioned
in a film, brings in more tourists and the French will
make a "euro" or two. The "buck" is out since it has
been euronated on.

Earl

****

*

'Da Vinci Code' to be shot inside Louvre

PARIS, France (Reuters) -- France will allow U.S. film director Ron Howard
to shoot scenes in the famed Louvre museum for a film adaptation of the
worldwide bestseller "The Da Vinci Code," the Culture Ministry said on
Friday.

The movie version of Dan Brown's thriller will feature Tom Hanks as
Professor Robert Langdon and is scheduled to start shooting in May,
according to the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) Web site.

Asked about plans to shoot in the Louvre in summer, a spokesman for the
Culture Ministry said: "Yes, it is scheduled to go ahead. There is no
problem."

A production team has already visited the Louvre to select locations in its
Grand Gallery, where the opening of the novel is set, according to the daily
newspaper Le Parisien. Officials at the Louvre were not immediately
available for comment.

Interest in "The Da Vinci Code" has spawned a side industry of specialized
tours of Paris exploring the book's locations and the theories surrounding
the work of Leonardo da Vinci, whose most famous painting -- the Mona Lisa
-- hangs in the Louvre. ( Hunt for 'Code' clues in France )

France wants to attract film crews to its monuments and museums to boost
tourism and provide jobs for thousands of local showbusiness workers, who
staged protests at the Cannes film festival last year over cuts to their
welfare benefits.

The Louvre last allowed filming in its miles of galleries in 1999 for
"Belphegor," a classic French mystery tale of a ghost who haunts the Louvre
and steals precious artifacts.

Filming usually takes place at night and on Tuesdays, when the museum is
closed to the public.

"The Da Vinci Code," which the IMDb said is scheduled for release in 2006,
is not the first movie directed by Howard with Hanks in the lead. The two
U.S. stars also teamed up for the 1995 film hit "Apollo 13."

Old January 21st, 2005, 03:06 PM
Mcturk4

The Louvre sees this as their product mentioned
in a film, brings in more tourists and the French will
make a "euro" or two. The "buck" is out since it has
been euronated on.

Earl

By a "eurologist"? LOL
Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Frank F. Matthews

On 2005-01-22 13:08:15 +0100, Mxsmanic said:

nitram writes:

The Americans are the most rabid wannabe French on the planet;
ironically, they are also among those who complain the most about the
France in public. They don't seem to notice the cognitive dissonance.

The first statement isn't really true. I haven't met or seen too many
Americans who want to be like the French. They may wish to imitate or
emulate some aspects of French culture, but they don't want to be
French. Rather like the attitude that mainstream American culture has
towards blacks.

That describes what I think the attitude of the French to Americans is:
they wish, for example, to wear symbols of an American image of
individualism, but they have no real desire to become obese morons
governed by a Bible-thumping cretin.

G;

So instead they want to be Bible-hating cretins governed by an obese moron.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:21:24 +0100, nitram wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:08:58 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

B Vaughan writes:

I heard so much about how sick the French are of the Da Vinci code,
and then I saw that it was one of the top 10 best selling books in
France.

The French are the most rabid wannabe Americans on the planet;
ironically, they are also among those who complain the most about the
USA in public. They don't seem to notice the cognitive dissonance.

and

The Americans are the most rabid wannabe French on the planet;
ironically, they are also among those who complain the most about the
France in public. They don't seem to notice the cognitive dissonance.

Until recently, the Americans rarely complained about the French. The
wannabe part was certainly true. A French accent was very useful for
selling products, especially luxury products. Actually, I think the
complaints are dying out again. At least my New York informant says
so. He used to make a point of walking out of restaurants that offered
"freedom fries", complaining all the while that he hated being put in
the position of having to defend the French. (He's Italian.) He says
that now he never sees freedom fries anymore.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:29 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Magda wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:20:56 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, "Frank F. Matthews"
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... So instead they want to be Bible-hating cretins governed by an obese moron.

Le Pen is NOT the President.

He's not chubby enough for the job.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:30 PM
Frank F. Matthews

wrote:

B Vaughan writes:

[...]

I never did see them at all.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:49 PM
Frank F. Matthews

On 2005-01-22 20:20:56 +0100, "Frank F. Matthews"

On 2005-01-22 13:08:15 +0100, Mxsmanic said:

nitram writes:

[...]

Does that describe Chirac? Sounds more like Ariel Sharon!

G;

For his supporters we would have to go back to bible thumpers.

Old January 24th, 2005, 05:20 AM
poldy

In article ,
Earl Evleth wrote:

Today`s news is that two well known French have key roles.
Audrey Tautou (the Amelie!) will play Sophie and Jean Reno
the French detective. Since the story mainly takes place
in France it is good publicity for French Tourism.

Does French tourism depend on American movies?

Despite the cool relations between France and the US, I thought France
still remained a top destination, even to Americans?

Anyways, there are plenty of American movies set in France all the time,
aren't they? Just saw the DVD of "Le Divorce" on sale. Suppose to be a
dreadful movie but it's based on a novel by a writer who is supposedly a
big Parisphile.