Routing from Niagara Falls to Detroit thru Canada

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Big Brother

Default Routing from Niagara Falls to Detroit thru Canada

Driving from Chicago to Niagara Falls; then from Niagara Falls to
Detroit via Canada Labor Day weekend.

Can someone suggest driving directions within Canada ?

Thanks..

Rich

Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:33:07 -0500, Big Brother
wrote:

Driving from Chicago to Niagara Falls; then from Niagara Falls to
Detroit via Canada Labor Day weekend.

Can someone suggest driving directions within Canada ?

405 - 403 - 401. Isn't it obvious? It's not like you have choices, unless you
want to drive all the way at 25 mph.

-- Larry
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

wrote:

Driving from Chicago to Niagara Falls; then from Niagara Falls to
Detroit via Canada Labor Day weekend.

Can someone suggest driving directions within Canada ?

405 - 403 - 401. Isn't it obvious? It's not like you have choices,
unless you want to drive all the way at 25 mph.

Not to mention that the shortest and fastest way from Chicago to Niagara
is through Detroit...

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Driving from Chicago to Niagara Falls; then from Niagara Falls to
Detroit via Canada Labor Day weekend.

Can someone suggest driving directions within Canada ?

405 - 403 - 401. Isn't it obvious?

Sheesh. Highway 405 does not connect to 403 and does not start in
Niagara Falls. Isn't *that* obvious?

The actual route this person is presumably thinking of, starting from
near the Rainbow Bridge, is 420 west - QEW Toronto - 403 west -
401 west. (You would take 405 instead of 420 if you were starting
from the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, north of Niagara Falls.)

However, if you want to use expressways all the way, there is an
improvement available due to a new route around Hamilton. Instead
take: 420 west - QEW Toronto - Red Hill Valley Parkway -
Lincoln Alexander Parkway - 403 west - 401 west. Oh, and there's
a few miles' gap between highway 401 and the border -- follow signs
to the bridge or the tunnel, as you prefer.

If you *don't* want to use expressways all the way, then of course
there are other choices.
--
Mark Brader "Do YOU trust US?"
Toronto "YES!! Well, we try to."

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Big Brother

On 8/23/2011 5:38 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the routing..

We have plenty of time to get to Detroit..

If we "don't" use the expressways, what are are other choices ?

Thanks..

Rich
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:38:59 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

Driving from Chicago to Niagara Falls; then from Niagara Falls to
Detroit via Canada Labor Day weekend.

Can someone suggest driving directions within Canada ?

405 - 403 - 401. Isn't it obvious?

Sheesh. Highway 405 does not connect to 403 and does not start in
Niagara Falls. Isn't *that* obvious?

The actual route this person is presumably thinking of, starting from
near the Rainbow Bridge, is 420 west - QEW Toronto - 403 west - 401
west. (You would take 405 instead of 420 if you were starting from the
Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, north of Niagara Falls.)

Why would someone who says he is driving from Chicago to Niagara Falls go
through Toronto?

To me the obvious route is through Detroit and the Windsor Bridge or
Tunnel and then 401 and 403 to Hamilton and over to the QEW to Niagara.

I gotta ask: Have they fenced in the Welland Locks? Last time I was there
one could actually sit on the edge of a lock dangling your feet over the
side.

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:39:00 -0500, Big Brother wrote:

[...]

Ontario route 3 from Windsor to Niagara. it spend a lot of miles (excuse
me, kilometres) along the north shore of lake Erie.

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

"Rich" asked:
Driving from Chicago to Niagara Falls; then from Niagara Falls to
Detroit via Canada Labor Day weekend.

Can someone suggest driving directions within Canada ?

I (Mark Brader) corrected a bad suggestion from an anonymous responder:

David Hatunen writes:
Why would someone who says he is driving from Chicago to Niagara Falls

First, he's going the other way for the Canadian part of the trip.

go through Toronto?

He wouldn't. "Toronto" is the direction along the QEW, like "west" on
the other roads. Considering that the QEW curls around the shore of
Lake Ontario and the Niagara River in a shape like a backwards "?" mark,
it makes sense that it isn't signed with compass directions.

To me the obvious route is through Detroit and the Windsor Bridge or
Tunnel and then 401 and 403 to Hamilton and over to the QEW to Niagara.

That's what I said, in effect.

I gotta ask: Have they fenced in the Welland Locks? Last time I was there
one could actually sit on the edge of a lock dangling your feet over the
side.

There are 8 locks along the Welland Canal (which runs parallel to the
Niagara River, passing through Welland and St. Catharines). One web
site I looked at clearly shows fences in pictures of several of them,
so I expect they'd all be fenced, but I don't know.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If gravity stops working, a power cut is

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

"Rich":
If we "don't" use the expressways, what are are other choices ?

Dave Hatunen:
Ontario route 3 from Windsor to Niagara.

Again, you mean the other way.

it spend a lot of miles (excuse me, kilometres) along the north
shore of lake Erie.

So it do. Another choice for the eastern end of the trip is the old
highway 8 from Niagara Falls to Hamilton, which runs more or less
along the base of the Niagara Escarpment. Low-traffic, winding
road, forest around you and orchards to one side.

Unfortunately, when highway 8 was decommissioned it did not keep a
single regional road number. If you look at the provincial highway map

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra...indexpdf.shtml

you'll see it starting at St. Catharines as regional road 81, then
changing into regional road 8 sometime before reaching Hamilton.
You might take his road as far as the Red Hill Valley Parkway at
Hamilton; if you want to switch to expressways, continue with the
route I described before, and if not, take the Lincoln Alexander
Parkway to the Upper James St. exit and go south to highway 6 south
to highway 3. See the Niagara, Hamilton, and Map 3 sections of
the provincial map.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What Europe needs is a fresh, unused mind."

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:09:29 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

"Rich":
If we "don't" use the expressways, what are are other choices ?

Dave Hatunen:
Ontario route 3 from Windsor to Niagara.

Again, you mean the other way.

I'm looking at the Chicago-Niagara leg which I am recommending be done
through Detroit.

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona