Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

Old November 6th, 2005, 02:00 AM
JimL

Default Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

Another possible reason for a rise in passport applications within the
U.S. -- The idiot TSA screener droids can't recognize the funky jazzed
up designs on many new state driver's licenses, and so subject too many
of us to the extra pat down screening. Some of us figure a passport
looks more official.

One TSA droid couldn't even figure out what to do with a state police
badge and ID.

sheesh.

Old November 6th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Dave Smith

Alan S wrote:

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:16:49 GMT, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

Big country. Lots to do and see here. Europe is actually a lot of small
countries. So a 2 hour drive gets you international travel, while a 2 hour
drive in California, does not get you out of the state. Statistics are
marvelous aren't they?

Have you driven two hours south of San Diego? Or two hours
north of Buffalo?

Two hours north of Toronto you will see lots of cars with US licence plates.
There are probably more US plates there than from other Canadian provinces. The
US/Mexican border crossings in California are the busiest international border
in the world.

Old November 6th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Dave Smith

sechumlib wrote:

Big country. Lots to do and see here. Europe is actually a lot of small
countries. So a 2 hour drive gets you international travel, while a 2 hour
drive in California, does not get you out of the state. Statistics are
marvelous aren't they?

I'm sure that's a large part of it. However, another factor is the
extreme unpleasantness of flying in the US these days, whether
internationally or domestically. This is partly because of the pervasive
and ineffective security measures, and partly because the airlines have
made air travel as horrific as they possibly could.

My wife and I flew extensively before 2001, going to lots of places
inside and out of the US. Since January 2001 (note: LONG BEFORE 9/11),
we have not boarded a plane. Until things change massively, we will NOT
be boarding any planes.

It's no worse that it had been in most other places for years. I flew from
Buffalo to Denver 9/11/02, expecting really serious security on the first
anniversary of 9/11. It was no more stringent that I had experienced at Canadian
and European airports on pre 9/11 flights.

Old November 6th, 2005, 03:06 AM
larry

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

lid wrote:
The per capita percentage of Americans that travel internationally for
pleasure is low compared to other western nations.

This seems strange, given the relatively high standard of living and
disposable income of Americans.

Although there has been a recent spike of US citizens obtaining
passports, thi sis mainly due to recent legislation and it is doubtful
the passports will increase the amount of travel outside North
America.

Why is the international travel so low ?

Partially because you have to go farther than 100 km to cross a border for
most folks in the US.

The passport spike is because it will be needed for travel in North
America soon.

Probably about the same proportion of US citizens have been 200 miles away
from home they just do that within the US.

These answers are classic US thinking - stats v reality.It does not answer
the question.
I live in Australia where sometimes you have drive all day just to get a
beer.So waht?I travel the world extensively because I have the means and
like to see other countries and meet different cultures.
Americans as a whole are extremely insular, with many not even knowing much
about their own country let alone anything OS.The 'ignorance' is astounding
and accounts for a lot of the stuff ups in foreign policy application.
Having said that, you could'nt wish to meet more friendly,helpful and
grscious people than the Americans - home and abroad.
The only state in the US I have been to is Alaska.Have loved all the other
states - great country,great people.

Old November 6th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Frank F. Matthews

sechumlib wrote:

Bill McKee wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Nah! The security twerps are at least as bad outside the US.

Old November 6th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Frank F. Matthews

larry wrote:

[...]

You clearly lack experience. There is little difference in attitudes.
The question is always phrased in terms of international borders and
structured thus to create an artificial difference.

Old November 6th, 2005, 04:56 AM
pltrgyst

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:08:46 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

Two hours north of Toronto you will see lots of cars with US licence plates.
There are probably more US plates there than from other Canadian provinces. The
US/Mexican border crossings in California are the busiest international border
in the world.

And neither of those borders requires a passport.

-- Larry

Old November 6th, 2005, 07:16 AM

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 02:59:29 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

larry wrote:

[...]

Frank:
What ARE you talking about?

Personally I agree with the Aussie and I have no idea of what you are
trying to say when you state " The question is always phrased in terms
of international borders and structured thus to create an artificial
difference."

However, that is secondary to the original question.
I originally asked a simple and serious question about the reason why
Americans do not travel internationally as much as people in other
parts of the world seem to do and the discussion immediately evolved
to how big the USA is and how Americans can drive the same distance as
those in Europe and still be in their own country. Sure you can but
crossing a border into New Mexico from Texas is hardly the same as
crossing a border from Slovenia to Italy or anywhere in the US into
Europe.

Let's try the original question again and rephrase
Why do so few Americans travel "abroad" ( overseas ) for pleasure
compared to those in other nations?

I work in the travel industry and have had the opportunity to ask
Americans but those are the ones that are traveling. The problem is
that one doesn't get to meet the ones that don't.

Is the reason fear? Is it lack of interest in other cultures? Is it
lack of time? What????
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:25 AM
PTravel

wrote in message

The per capita percentage of Americans that travel internationally for
pleasure is low compared to other western nations.

I assume, by "international travel" you mean Europe, Asia, Africa and
Australia. All of those are separated from the U.S. by rather large bodies
of water, and it's quite expensive to get across them.

This seems strange, given the relatively high standard of living and
disposable income of Americans.

You have a very mistaken understanding of the standard of living of an
average American.

Although there has been a recent spike of US citizens obtaining
passports, thi sis mainly due to recent legislation

Hunh? What legislation encourages Americans to obtain passports?

and it is doubtful
the passports will increase the amount of travel outside North
America.

Why is the international travel so low ?

Those of us who can afford it, go.