What has happened to this site!

Old December 19th, 2008, 08:50 PM
wsebastian wsebastian is offline
Banned

Am totally clueless about what is going on here. Like I dislike the idea in replying amongst the crowd of so many quoted messages where you find it so difficult to locate the last posted message.
Also am not too much of a techie so cant differentiate between the usenet or the normal discussion boards, needed some ideas about travel locations and this is where I found myself to be and everything here is totally confusing as I can see. Anyways all the best to all my fellow travel lovers.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
prakasharige prakasharige is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsebastian View Post
Am totally clueless about what is going on here. Like I dislike the idea in replying amongst the crowd of so many quoted messages where you find it so difficult to locate the last posted message.
Also am not too much of a techie so cant differentiate between the usenet or the normal discussion boards, needed some ideas about travel locations and this is where I found myself to be and everything here is totally confusing as I can see. Anyways all the best to all my fellow travel lovers.
Even I too face the same problem, but I think the forum administrators have given this detail in the Forum Membership Form. Anyhow...thanks to the Administrators for giving me this Forum's membership. Nice Forum to share our travel related issues.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:56 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Alan S[_1_]

Default What has happened to this site!

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 07:52:23 +0000, prakasharige
wrote:

wsebastian;946146 Wrote:
Am totally clueless about what is going on here. Like I dislike the idea
in replying amongst the crowd of so many quoted messages where you find
it so difficult to locate the last posted message.
Also am not too much of a techie so cant differentiate between the
usenet or the normal discussion boards, needed some ideas about travel
locations and this is where I found myself to be and everything here is
totally confusing as I can see. Anyways all the best to all my fellow
travel lovers.

Even I too face the same problem, but I think the forum administrators
have given this detail in the Forum Membership Form. Anyhow...thanks to
the Administrators for giving me this Forum's membership. Nice Forum to
share our travel related issues.

Forum Membership? Monitors? Administrators? What planet are
you from?

Aha - the penny drops. You guys post via one of the myriad
web-sites feeding like leeches off usenet and you know
nothing about the real world of usenet groups.

There are no moderators or administrators for this
un-moderated group. Welcome to the anarchy of usenet.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Judi[_2_]

This newsgroup was one of the first things I figured out how to do on a
computer back in 1997.
I was a late bloomer.
Found it to start research for our first trip to Costa Rica Feb 98.
There were so many informative people here. No other bulls**t. It was great.
Ended up having a wonderful, 17 day, play it by ear trip. We stayed at some
wonderful places and areas, all by bus. Did some very exciting things.
All of it from taking advice from the great people here. For years after I
checked it every day. Now just every 6 months or so. What a shame.

judi

Old January 4th, 2009, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:19:19 -0600, "Judi"
wrote:

This newsgroup was one of the first things I figured out how to do on a
computer back in 1997.
I was a late bloomer.
Found it to start research for our first trip to Costa Rica Feb 98.
There were so many informative people here. No other bulls**t. It was great.
Ended up having a wonderful, 17 day, play it by ear trip. We stayed at some
wonderful places and areas, all by bus. Did some very exciting things.
All of it from taking advice from the great people here. For years after I
checked it every day. Now just every 6 months or so. What a shame.

judi

I've been using usenet for about seven years for diabetes
and travel information.

Gradually the crap and noise has increased but I still
return to it for the most valuable information on either
subject. I may have to wade through a lot of garbage to find
the occasional pearls, but they have been worth it.

The result for me has been gaining excellent control of my
diabetes and three very enjoyable trips around the world. If
I had not asked questions here the Mexican part of my last
trip would not have been as good - thanks, Technobarbarian.

To me the worst "noise" is the ignorant twits who moan about
the spam and other problems without ever trying to research
how usenet groups work or looking at the rules, or lack of
them, of the particular group they are on. If the group
fails to meet their needs, find another that does instead of
hanging around adding to the problem.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Hatunen

wrote:

This newsgroup was one of the first things I figured out how to do on a
computer back in 1997.
I was a late bloomer.
Found it to start research for our first trip to Costa Rica Feb 98.
There were so many informative people here. No other bulls**t. It was great.
Ended up having a wonderful, 17 day, play it by ear trip. We stayed at some
wonderful places and areas, all by bus. Did some very exciting things.
All of it from taking advice from the great people here. For years after I
checked it every day. Now just every 6 months or so. What a shame.

You may be surprised to learn we haven't missed you.

Old January 8th, 2009, 09:54 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Don Lampson

It really bums me out, watching this site turn into a spam & smut
collection!
I was looking foreward to seeing a report on Zihuatenejo a regular
poster planned to make last Nov?
I suspect the increase in kidnapping, and the drug wars, combined
with the lousy economies elsewhere, have all but wiped out gringos
ramblings to remote places in Mexico?
Reading about beheadings near Merida just make me sick! I always felt
so safe there?
I feel like an old friend has died, or a sweetheart has departed,
and all that remains are wonderful memories of the good times before
things took a turn for the worse!
Don

http://www.donlampson.com

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:54:29 -0800, (Don
Lampson) wrote:

Reading about beheadings near Merida just make me sick! I always felt
so safe there?

I didn't realise that was where they were. I was there in
April and felt safe wandering the streets at night.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Helene

Why do not we ignore what has happened to the site and start posting some
good questions ?
Many of us have info to give but rather than take a long time to post info
that maybe does not suit everyone's needs, why do not people ask the
questions or are fewer people travelling these days ? - not our experience
on the Carretera Austral, Patagonia in Jan 2008 - lots of nationalities.

cheers, philipj, Tasmania, Oz