rail travel seattle washington to Calgary

Old February 20th, 2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default rail travel seattle washington to Calgary

We are thinking of travel to Calgary in July 2008 for the Stampede.
Leaving from Seattle Washington.
Is there anyone that can give me some insight to this trip.
Availability of trains from seattle, who to contact??

Old February 21st, 2008, 09:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Martin Adelman:
We are thinking of travel to Calgary in July 2008 for the Stampede.
Leaving from Seattle Washington.

There is only one possible way.

Amtrak operates a daily train from Seattle to Vancouver, where you
would have to stop for at least one night. Then Rocky Mountaineer
Railtours operates a train that runs from Vancouver to Kamloops,
stops overnight, and continues to Calgary the next day. This
service runs three times per week. They're in the packaged travel
business and their web site emphasizes all the other things you can
buy along with the train, but it should be possible to just buy the
train ride plus the hotel in Kamloops.
--
Mark Brader | "...as many as my brain could handle
Toronto | off the top of its head..."

Old February 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Martin Adelman:
We are thinking of travel to Calgary in July 2008 for the Stampede.
Leaving from Seattle Washington.

There is only one possible way.

Amtrak operates a daily train from Seattle to Vancouver, where you
would have to stop for at least one night. Then Rocky Mountaineer
Railtours operates a train that runs from Vancouver to Kamloops,
stops overnight, and continues to Calgary the next day. This
service runs three times per week. They're in the packaged travel
business and their web site emphasizes all the other things you can
buy along with the train, but it should be possible to just buy the
train ride plus the hotel in Kamloops.
--
Mark Brader | "...as many as my brain could handle
Toronto | off the top of its head..."
| --Steve Summit

I guess the semi alternative would be Amtrak to Vancouver then VIARail to
Edmonton but how to get from Edmonton to Calgary? Bus?

Old February 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Martin Adelman:
We are thinking of travel to Calgary in July 2008 for the Stampede.
Leaving from Seattle Washington.

There is only one possible way.

Amtrak operates a daily train from Seattle to Vancouver, where you
would have to stop for at least one night. Then Rocky Mountaineer
Railtours operates a train that runs from Vancouver to Kamloops,
stops overnight, and continues to Calgary the next day. This
service runs three times per week. They're in the packaged travel
business and their web site emphasizes all the other things you can
buy along with the train, but it should be possible to just buy the
train ride plus the hotel in Kamloops.
--
Mark Brader | "...as many as my brain could handle
Toronto | off the top of its head..."
| --Steve Summit

I guess the semi alternative would be Amtrak to Vancouver then VIARail to
Edmonton but how to get from Edmonton to Calgary? Bus?

Another train/bus possibility? Amtrak Empire Builder Seattle to somewhere
in Western Montana - where can you get a bus up across the border? My
guess would be somewhere related to Glacier Park. Whitefish?