How much luggage is too much on the Underground?

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Fred

Default How much luggage is too much on the Underground?

Now that I've found out how to get out of the London Underground, I
better find out whether I can get or stay on! I'll be coming from
Heathrow Airport on the Picadilly Line with 2 suitcases and a small
carry-on bag. Is that too much to put on the underground car--or to
get off when I arrive at my station? Are there some cars on these
trains that have more room for luggage without getting in the way of
other passengers?

Thanks.

Fred
Old September 13th, 2003, 05:21 PM
blib

Now that I've found out how to get out of the London Underground, I
better find out whether I can get or stay on! I'll be coming from
Heathrow Airport on the Picadilly Line with 2 suitcases and a small
carry-on bag. Is that too much to put on the underground car--or to
get off when I arrive at my station? Are there some cars on these
trains that have more room for luggage without getting in the way of
other passengers?

The less lugguage the better. But the piccadily line cars have extra room
for lugguage by the doors.
When I was a student in London, I used to move house by tube, granted I used
to **** a hell of a lot of people off, but I got to my destination with my
luggage
Just try to avoid peak hours

Old September 13th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Miguel Cruz

Fred wrote:
Now that I've found out how to get out of the London Underground, I better
find out whether I can get or stay on! I'll be coming from Heathrow
Airport on the Picadilly Line with 2 suitcases and a small carry-on bag.
Is that too much to put on the underground car--or to get off when I
arrive at my station? Are there some cars on these trains that have more
room for luggage without getting in the way of other passengers?

That's less than I've seen some people bring. If you're able-bodied it won't
be a problem except maybe during peak weekday commute hours.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 13th, 2003, 07:12 PM
David Horne

Fred wrote:

Now that I've found out how to get out of the London Underground, I
better find out whether I can get or stay on! I'll be coming from
Heathrow Airport on the Picadilly Line with 2 suitcases and a small
carry-on bag. Is that too much to put on the underground car--or to
get off when I arrive at my station? Are there some cars on these
trains that have more room for luggage without getting in the way of
other passengers?

The piccadilly line trains have extra space designated for luggage. It
will be fairly easy getting on, regardless of time of day, as the line
'turns around' at the Heathrow stops, so you''re getting on mostly with
other passengers. It will depend a lot on the station you _alight_ at as
to how easy you will find the experience. I've done the 2 suitcase and
hand luggage thing before- I'm fairly athletic, and I've found it
reasonably stressful. If you arrive during the morning rush hour you
could find it quite difficult just getting _off_ the train, depending on
where you need to go. If you're used to this in other countries, then go
for it.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old September 13th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Owain

"Fred" wrote
| Now that I've found out how to get out of the London Underground, I
| better find out whether I can get or stay on! I'll be coming from
| Heathrow Airport on the Picadilly Line with 2 suitcases and a small
| carry-on bag.

One suitcase in each hand and the carry-on on a shoulder strap.

Provided your knees are strong enough to convey you and your load from train
to platform without falling down [Mind] The Gap, you should survive.

Owain

Old September 13th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Hatunen

On 13 Sep 2003 08:45:19 -0700, (Fred) wrote:

Now that I've found out how to get out of the London Underground, I
better find out whether I can get or stay on! I'll be coming from
Heathrow Airport on the Picadilly Line with 2 suitcases and a small
carry-on bag. Is that too much to put on the underground car--or to
get off when I arrive at my station? Are there some cars on these
trains that have more room for luggage without getting in the way of
other passengers?

My wife, little duaghter and I used to have frequent occasion to
get from LHR to Kings Cross Station and would use the Undergorund
(which is mostly overground going out to LHR). My wifwe is
getting better at it, but she used to have trouble with the
phrase "pack light", so we schlepped a couple of large roller
suitcases, a smaller one and some carry-ons. Just parked them by
the door and sat in the adjacent seats.

If it's rush hour in the city, just take it easy, keep to the
side, and try not to get trampled.

Your biggest concern is not the Underground trains, it's stairs
in the stations. for instance at Kings Cross there are a couple
of escalators to get to the level just below the train station,
but the last bit is a stairway. Not really too bad, but some
stations are worse for access. Be happy you're not in a
wheelchair.

Old September 13th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Michael Brennan

I decided on the bright idea of getting on the underground with two bags
and a carryon, nothing heavy but bulky. This was at the Bank underground
station to get on the Docklands Light Railyway. Felt like I had walked miles by
time I reached the platform. Up and down stairs, and escalators, along very
long tunnels, a very bad busker - terrible. I vowed never to do that again.
Sweating buckets by time got on the train. Dont ever assume that the platform
will be geographically adjacent to station entrance. This was on a Saturday
very few people around, but those tunnels are very claustrophobic, and not much
in the way of ventilation.

--mikeb

In article W%L8b.2995$Cu3.1644@edtnps84,
Traveler wrote:
In article ,
(Fred) wrote:

Now that I've found out how to get out of the London Underground, I
better find out whether I can get or stay on! I'll be coming from
Heathrow Airport on the Picadilly Line with 2 suitcases and a small
carry-on bag. Is that too much to put on the underground car--or to
get off when I arrive at my station? Are there some cars on these
trains that have more room for luggage without getting in the way of
other passengers?

Try climbing several sets of stairs and walking a mile with this luggage at
home. It would be preferable if you were crowded and jostled and had not
slept the night before, but at least this will give you an idea.

I found one suitcase and one carry-on quite manageable, but two would be a
bit much, I think. I like to have one free hand for balance.

Traveler