Brits tell Emirates Turn off those plane cameras!

Old February 27th, 2004, 01:46 AM
newsie

Default Brits tell Emirates Turn off those plane cameras!

Privacy fears over plane cameras

Villagers are objecting to planes flying into Gatwick which film the ground
below, claiming the underside cameras invade their privacy.

Residents of Dormansland, Surrey, who have complained say the practice is
as bad as a neighbour installing a video on the garden fence.

The parish council has asked Emirates airline to stop filming during the
airport approach.

But the airline says the filming is the same as looking out of the window.

An Emirates spokeswoman said: "Do people in Dormansland want everyone to
close the blinds?"

'Bird's eye view'

She said the company was sorry for the concern and had tried to allay
fears, explaining that the cameras, offering a "bird's eye view" on
seat-back screens, were static, the view was not magnified and passengers
could not zoom in or out.

"It is part of the in-flight entertainment and for passengers it is one of
the most popular things," she said.

"At night, you see the runway and the lights and at 35,000 ft over the
Alps, it's spectacular."

But Dormansland residents say they have recognised their own gardens while
flying with Emirates 2,000 ft high over their village.

Parish council chairman Jane Voght said: "If your neighbour put a camera on
the fence and filmed you, that would be an invasion of privacy.

"It doesn't matter what you're doing in your back garden or in your home -
it's not for airlines to dictate.

"All over the South East, there's aircraft noise. This is another
intrusion."

She said that neither Ofcom or the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) monitor
which airlines have cameras.

A CAA spokesman said: "We don't keep a list of who actually fits the
cameras. It's a commercial decision. Airlines feel their passengers
benefit."

The villagers have now turned to Peter Ainsworth, the Conservative MP for
East Surrey who lives near Dormansland, who said he would write to the
airline and ask Emirates to switch off the cameras, in view of
constituents' concerns.

The 59 aircraft run by Emirates have all had two cameras on board since
1999 - one looking forward from the view of the pilot and the other looking
straight down to the ground.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/3489304.stm
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Miguel Cruz

newsie wrote:
Villagers are objecting to planes flying into Gatwick which film the ground
below, claiming the underside cameras invade their privacy.

That's pretty ridiculous in a country where the police has cameras on every
corner.

You can barely tell a house from a tree on the tiny screens on the plane.
Anyone can get better detail from readily-available satellite photos.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Yanart Amin Ari

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
newsie wrote:
Villagers are objecting to planes flying into Gatwick which film the

ground
below, claiming the underside cameras invade their privacy.

That's pretty ridiculous in a country where the police has cameras on

every
corner.

You can barely tell a house from a tree on the tiny screens on the plane.
Anyone can get better detail from readily-available satellite photos.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

TRUE !

Just Nimby's bitching again

Old February 27th, 2004, 04:00 AM
st

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:46:26 +0000, newsie wrote:

Privacy fears over plane cameras

Villagers are objecting to planes flying into Gatwick which film the ground
below, claiming the underside cameras invade their privacy.

These people should stop whinging - it seems completely ridiculous. It
has to be one of the best features of Emirates flights. A great
airline.
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:34 AM
The Bloke Next Door

"newsie" wrote in message
[...]

------------------
Why don't you get the whole village to moon at them.

Old February 27th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Nige

If I lived under a flightpath to Gatwick and learned of this new intrusion
into my 'space' then I would join the band of protesters. Surely the
villagers of Dormansland are merely expressing their discontent at yet
another intrusion. Already Gatwick has grown into the busiest airport during
the summer months for package holiday planes. Not to talk about Emirates and
all the other airlines.
It is during the summer when you want to enjoy your garden. Already the
villagers are really disappointed by the increasing frequency of early
morning/ late evening flights.
OK - so I suppose they can all sell up and move to a quieter location. But
just think of the upheaval and the inconvience?
And then the UK Government has been equivocating over the decision about
expanding Gatwick to provide a second runway at some point in the future.
That would surely be an intolerable further nuisance to the villagers.
So it is only correct that they choose to make a point about this further
intrusion into their space.
This is true British Democracy. It is not 'whingeing' or NIMBYism.
Nige

Old February 27th, 2004, 11:59 AM
DN

Don't be so bloody touchy. What is it, that stupid mob want to hide? Next
they will want a *Berlin* type wall built along all the railways and free
ways. Dinkum, there is no end to those buggers - certainly changed from the
Blighty I knew during the war.

DN

Old February 27th, 2004, 12:11 PM
RT

Nige wrote in message ...
[...]

Wotta load of rubbish!

Now, have I got this right?

"We wanna enjoy our gardens in the summer, but "our space" has been intruded
into by these ferals using cameras from a/c"

You can see what has happened. Over the years anyone with any go about
them has buggered off to the colonies while what is left "at home" is a
collection of trembling milksops and blow-ins from the undeveloped
backblocks of the world.

Bye, bye, Britannia........ (Tolpuddle anyone?)

Old February 27th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Zobo Kolonie

Nige wrote in message
If I lived under a flightpath to Gatwick and learned of this new

intrusion
into my 'space' then I would join the band of protesters.

Well you're a ****ing idiot who should have been strangled at birth then.

FFS when I fly into Heathrow, approaching from the east, if I look out of
the window I can identify Kew Towers (my home), my inlaws' house, the local
pub, and various local shops and restaurants.

So what?

You and the ******s in Dor(k)mansland would get more intrusion were there a
bus route running past your front garden.

Get a life.

So there, ya bloody Guardian reader you.
--
ZK - When I die accelerate my body to light speed, I always wanted a burial
at c