TEACHING ENGLISH IN ASIA

Old March 31st, 2004, 05:19 PM
HKHODGES13

Default TEACHING ENGLISH IN ASIA

Hey, I'm a Yank in Washington, D.C. lookin' to teach English in Asia. Not for
the usual reasons (the typical trip to another culture thang), but because I
lived there as a child for a few years, want to truly contribute something
(since my Asian language skills are weak, other jobs aren't available), and
enjoy that part of the world...and am thinking of possibly settling down there.
ANY RECOMMENDATIONS/DISADVANTAGES to teaching in THAILAND, VIETNAM, MALAYSIA,
SINGAPORE, JAPAN or any other location that someone can suggest. Greatly
appreciated. You can also reach me via:
[BTW: I'm in my 50's for what that's worth -- but healthy, fit and active!]
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:29 PM
Rupert Fiennes

Isn't it amazing how contradictory the average "Yank-haters" tend to be?
First they moan about how Americans are supposedly indifferent to the
worlds problems. When they attempt to sort out these problems, they are
condemned for that too, in terms that these same people would regard as
racist applied to any other nation. Don't hold it against them, remember
that the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Taliban and Saddam Hussein was
terribly upsetting for them :-)

When I was knocking about China I met quite a few Peace Corps english
teachers. I'll assume you don't want to join, but they may have contacts.

Rupert

Get lost Yank. Help Bush to sort out his mess.
You and your kind are not welcomed in Asia.

Old April 1st, 2004, 06:03 PM
Peter L

"HKHODGES13" wrote in message
Hey, I'm a Yank in Washington, D.C. lookin' to teach English in Asia. Not

for
the usual reasons (the typical trip to another culture thang), but because

lived there as a child for a few years, want to truly contribute something
(since my Asian language skills are weak, other jobs aren't available),

and
enjoy that part of the world...and am thinking of possibly settling down

there.
ANY RECOMMENDATIONS/DISADVANTAGES to teaching in THAILAND, VIETNAM,

MALAYSIA,
SINGAPORE, JAPAN or any other location that someone can suggest. Greatly
appreciated. You can also reach me via:
[BTW: I'm in my 50's for what that's worth -- but healthy, fit and

active!]

China comes to mind. You won't get paid a lot of money (unless you are
certified, experienced, and teaching for an international school). But you
won't starve. Japan is another possibility. You'll get more money, but
Japan is also more expensive. I don't know the demand in the other
countries you mentioned.