Australia vacation help needed

Old November 4th, 2004, 10:24 PM
GCRYAR

Default Australia vacation help needed

My wife and I are planning an Australian vacation this February. We are
leaning toward a tour, so we do not have to drive on the wrong side of the road
(wrong side for us). Any information on tour companies or guides recommended
will be appreciated.

Thanks

Glen
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:15 AM
A Mate

Some indication of your interests, budget, duration of stay, age etc etc etc
might help us help you!!

Keep in mind that Australia is about as big as the continental USA! - and
probably more diverse!

Old November 5th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Bego Mario Garde

GCRYAR wrote:
We are leaning toward a tour, so we do not have to drive on the wrong
side of the road (wrong side for us).

I wouldn't worry to much about driving on the left -- steering wheel is
also on the other side, which makes it pretty easy. I tend to get a bit
confused with turn-signal and wiper (they are on the opposite side,
too), but after a day you get used to that, too.

Usually driving in Germany, I find the Australians to be very polite and
cautious drivers in general. Additionally, speedlimit, roundabouts and
warning-sings make it easy to drive. Biggest hazard is probably
kangeroos at dawn.

Bego
They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old November 5th, 2004, 09:07 PM
GCRYAR

We are pretty open on the trip. We have about a $14,000 budget and enjoy the
outdoor stuff. Australia Zoo is a must, as is the outback and reef. We are in
our 50s. We only know what the Crock hunter has taught us about Australia, so
any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Glen

Old November 5th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Alan

On 05 Nov 2004 20:07:13 GMT, (GCRYAR) wrote:

We are pretty open on the trip. We have about a $14,000 budget and enjoy the
outdoor stuff. Australia Zoo is a must, as is the outback and reef. We are in
our 50s. We only know what the Crock hunter has taught us about Australia, so
any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Glen

Hi Glen

I'm making a couple of assumptions about you, so correct me if I'm
wrong.

The assumptions are that you are from the USA, (which also means that
the $14K budget is about AU20K), you're only here for a few weeks
commencing February, and you want to see as much as possible in that
time without driving into oncoming traffic.

And all you know about Australia, you learnt from Steve Irwin?

OK, the first thing Steve neglected to mention was "the wet", which is
the monsoonal weather conditions north of the tropic of Capricorn
(Rockhampton on the map) at that time of year. That doesn't meant that
you can't visit the reef, but take your raincoat and umbrella.

Secondly, I'd recommend you fly between the main centres you wish to
visit, then take local tours from those centres.

To give you an idea of distances, say you arrived in Sydney, flew to
Alice Springs or Uluru, then to the reef at Townsville, then to Brisbane
for Irwin's zoo. In the states the equivalent trip would be NYC - St
Louis - Miami - Washington DC.

But my suggestion would be broadly that, subject to time.

Sydney, with tours to the Blue Mountains and the Hunter Valley wineries.
Fly to Alice Springs, with a tour to Uluru.
Fly to Brisbane, tours to Irwin's zoo, or the Gold Coast hinterland or
both.
Fly to Cairns or Townsville (depending on the wet and timing) for the
reef.

Cheers, Alan