Any advice on where to go in New York?

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:13 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Any advice on where to go in New York?

wrote in message
s.com...
On Mon, 03 May 2004 06:56:59 -0400, (David J.
Greenberger) wrote:

"PTRAVEL" writes:

For point of reference, there are two other camera retailers that are
trustworthy and reliable: Adorama and J&R Music World. I've only

bought
mail-order from Adorama, so I'm not sure were in NY they're located.

Adorama is on 18th Street between 6th and 5th, on the south side of
the street. It's a much smaller store than B&H, but, as you say, it's
quite reputable.

Respectfully, I disagree regarding Adorama as being reputable. They
have had a reputation but it has not always been good. If you visit
the archives of the 35mm camera newsgroups you will find too many
repeated instances of bait and switch and other shenanigans.

I just took a look at Adorama's listing on resellerratings.com and you're
right -- it appears that their performance has gotten a little spotty. I've
always had a good experience with them, and I'm sad to see they've slipped a
bit.

But B&H is, as someone said, the shining star (not to denigrate J&R)
in a business that is probably the largest source of complaints
against retailers as filed with the NY Dept of Consumer Affairs.

I've always found J&R has been accurate reporting stock, shipped promptly at
a good price, didn't try to upsell and accepted returns without hassle.
They're a good, reliable outfit. However, I've heard many stories like
yours about B&H, in which they've gone above-and-beyond to satisfy a
customer, so they continue to get the bulk of my business. I buy
electronics from J&R and, on rare occassions, if their price is
significantly better, camera equipment as well. However, B&H always has
been, and always will be my first stop for photography and related
equipment.

Don't overlook B&H's used equipment department. They are very careful
about the integrity of their grading system that determines sales
price.

A few years ago their used camera department sold me a used,
out-of-box, Nikon 8008s and lens, both of which had earned their top
rating. They appeared perfect to me.

To avoid the 8.5% NYC sales tax I had them shipped to my home across
the river in New Jersey.

When it arrived, the lens had not been separately packaged in its own
separate foam wrap. The knurled lens barrel had scratched the camera
body where they had rubbed together in transit. I returned to B&H and
spoke with the same salesman. He saw how it had been packed and
acknowledged without argument that the scratches were caused by the
improper packing.

After a few minutes delay the used equipment manager came out and said
they did not an equal replacement in stock but asked if I would accept
an upgrade. He handed me what I believe was a never used camera, in a
pristine box, complete with the manual, docs etc. - no added charge -
and sincere apology. They also took the lens back into the shop for a
few minutes to make sure it had not suffered any damage.

And they reshipped it to me, since I did not want to carry it home
that day, without shipping charges.

That day they won a loyal customer for life.

Just one piece of advice. Both J&R and B&H are not the best place to
seek advice about what to buy. They are the best place to buy after
you have done your homework and have narrowed down your choices to a
few similar items. The sales people are well trained in product but
they are not there to "sell you" on anything in particular. They are
NY efficient. Ask your decision questions, make the choice, pay for
it, thank you very much, next?
CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info