Tasers NEVER killed Anyone

Old November 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to van.general,can.general,bc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
J.Robertson

Default Tasers NEVER killed Anyone

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

Why are people so outraged, why is this an international incident,
international news, why has the Polish embassy gotten involved, why has
the
BC AG received more correspondence on this issue than for any other issue
in
their memory?

...why did the RCMP lie so blatantly about almost all details of the
incident before the video was released if they were without fault?

It is often a shock for people to witness what goes down when police have
to subdue a violent person. It is not pretty. Sound bites and expressed
opinions influence people's views.

I totally agree, it is a shock for people to witness what police have to do
to subdue a violent person. Robert, however, was nowhere near violent, he
made no moves towards the officers. So please try again, grab at some more
straws, make something else up.

I'm sure you know better than a psychologist who trains Police in conflict
resolution and the use of force:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmso2...eature=related

"No, this was not a situation that required a Taser, this was a situation
that required some members who are properly trained in crisis intervention."

ALL RCMP OFFICERS are trained in 'crisis intervention'. These 4 officers
acted on their own, as cowboys.

They were not trained to pile on top of his back and neck until he went
limp. They WERE trained to give first aid to a man they just rendered
unconscious.

NDP Public Safety Critic Mike Farnsworth couldn't even speak after first
watching the tape, he was crying. Is that his mistake? Is he only being
influenced by other people's views?

Old November 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM posted to van.general,can.general,bc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

"J.Robertson" wrote:

It is often a shock for people to witness what goes down when police have
to subdue a violent person. It is not pretty. Sound bites and expressed
opinions influence people's views.

I totally agree, it is a shock for people to witness what police have to do
to subdue a violent person. Robert, however, was nowhere near violent, he
made no moves towards the officers. So please try again, grab at some more
straws, make something else up.

Are you suggesting that this poor, frustrated immigrant who was trashing
the equipment in the area because he couldn't find his mommy suddenly
switched to calm mode? He just brushed off the officers with a wave of his
arms.

I am sure that the guy in the interview was willing to share his
professional views on conflict resolution. On the the most useless courses
I ever had on the job was with one on conflict resolution presented by a
guy who spent most of the time talking about his reputation and experience.

I'm sure you know better than a psychologist who trains Police in conflict
resolution and the use of force:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmso2...eature=related

"No, this was not a situation that required a Taser, this was a situation
that required some members who are properly trained in crisis intervention."

ALL RCMP OFFICERS are trained in 'crisis intervention'. These 4 officers
acted on their own, as cowboys.

hat is interesting, since your esteemed psychologist expect suggested that
this was not a case for tasering, that they should have called in said that
they could have used gestures. They did use gestures. He said that they
went quickly from " barking orders that he isn't going to be able to
understand anyway".

He also said that this is not a case for tasering, that it was a situation
where they should have called in someone who trained in crisis
intervention. If this guy is the expert he is billed to be, why would he
not know that, as you claim, all RCMP are trained in crisis intervention?

They were not trained to pile on top of his back and neck until he went
limp. They WERE trained to give first aid to a man they just rendered
unconscious.

One problem there.... her wasn't unconscious. As the guy filming it says on
the video, he was still struggling.
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:40 AM posted to van.general,can.general,bc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
J.Robertson

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
"J.Robertson" wrote:

[...]

He did calm down, he was calling "Police Police!" when he saw them, in a
tone of voice that suggests relief and excitement.
He was in no way violent or threatening to the officers. I don't understand
what behaviour you see him exhibiting that can possible be called
threatening or dangerous. Neither does over 90% of people polled, who've
viewed the video.

I am sure that the guy in the interview was willing to share his
professional views on conflict resolution. On the the most useless courses
I ever had on the job was with one on conflict resolution presented by a
guy who spent most of the time talking about his reputation and
experience.

I knew it, I knew you were a cop, or are a cop, or something that compels
you to overlook common sense and view the video from a cop's perspective.
It's not possible for you to give an honest appraisal of what happened that
day. Your view is tainted whether you realize it or not.

You still insist they had no other option available. You insist they
absolutely, 100% HAD TO taser him and pile on top of his back until he went
limp.

I'm sure you know better than a psychologist who trains Police in
conflict
resolution and the use of force:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmso2...eature=related

"No, this was not a situation that required a Taser, this was a situation
that required some members who are properly trained in crisis
intervention."

ALL RCMP OFFICERS are trained in 'crisis intervention'. These 4 officers
acted on their own, as cowboys.

He also said that this is not a case for tasering, that it was a situation
where they should have called in someone who trained in crisis
intervention. If this guy is the expert he is billed to be, why would he
not know that, as you claim, all RCMP are trained in crisis intervention?

You're missing his point, let me dumb it down a bit:
He was saying that if the officers had followed their training properly,
they would have used crisis intervention skills (ie. not tasing him within
24 seconds). In other words, it's too bad there weren't rational RCMP
officers on duty, ones that hadn't already made up their minds to use the
Taser as they walked up to Robert.

Are you saying that RCMP officers have no training in how to handle a
suspect or a "crisis" ?
They are left out there to figure things out for themselves - no guidance on
how to initially approach a situation?

What the **** is your problem?

They were not trained to pile on top of his back and neck until he went
limp. They WERE trained to give first aid to a man they just rendered
unconscious.

One problem there.... her wasn't unconscious. As the guy filming it says
on
the video, he was still struggling.

Did you even read what I wrote? You're acting very dumb here Dave
Smith.

He was struggling (to breathe) and guess what happened after that - he went
unconscious. And then the RCMP officers did NOTHING. They stood there and
LET HIM DIE.
They made no attempt to check him in any way.

Old November 21st, 2007, 12:57 AM posted to van.general,can.general,bc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
J.Robertson

"J.Robertson" wrote in message

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
"J.Robertson" wrote:

It is often a shock for people to witness what goes down when police
have
to subdue a violent person. It is not pretty. Sound bites and
expressed
opinions influence people's views.

I totally agree, it is a shock for people to witness what police have to
do
to subdue a violent person. Robert, however, was nowhere near violent,
he
made no moves towards the officers. So please try again, grab at some
more
straws, make something else up.

By the way, the Feds announced a review of the RCMP's tasering protocol
today. The federal government feels the RCMP officers weren't justified in
using the Taser on Robert.

So, in summation, Dave Smith is right, over 90% of people polled are wrong,
the BC Govt is wrong, and the Feds are wrong.

Old November 21st, 2007, 01:23 AM posted to van.general,can.general,bc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

"J.Robertson" wrote:

He did calm down, he was calling "Police Police!" when he saw them, in a
tone of voice that suggests relief and excitement.

I just played the video back. I didn't hear him say that.

He was in no way violent or threatening to the officers. I don't understand
what behaviour you see him exhibiting that can possible be called
threatening or dangerous. Neither does over 90% of people polled, who've
viewed the video.

Sure. Four cops showed up and he stopped yelling and throwing things. The
fact remains that he had been acting out violently and they had every
reason to expect that he would be violent.

I am sure that the guy in the interview was willing to share his
professional views on conflict resolution. On the the most useless courses
I ever had on the job was with one on conflict resolution presented by a
guy who spent most of the time talking about his reputation and
experience.

I knew it, I knew you were a cop, or are a cop, or something that compels
you to overlook common sense and view the video from a cop's perspective.
It's not possible for you to give an honest appraisal of what happened that
day. Your view is tainted whether you realize it or not.

Well aren't you a regular Einstein. I said that I had worked in law
enforcement and taken use of force training.

You still insist they had no other option available. You insist they
absolutely, 100% HAD TO taser him and pile on top of his back until he went
limp.

I never insisted any such thing. I said that they had reason to believe him
to be violent because he had been behaving violently, and that they reacted
according to use of force training.

[...]

Perhaps I had better dumb it down for you. You claimed that all RCMP are
trained in crisis intervention. I pointed out that your expert said they
should have called in someone trained in crisis intervention. They were
there to arrest someone who had been trashing the airport and the guy they
came to arrest resisted arrest.

Are you saying that RCMP officers have no training in how to handle a
suspect or a "crisis" ?

No. I thought I was pretty clear. You said all RCMP officers are trained in
crisis intervention. Your cited expert said they should have called in
someone who was trained in crisis intervention. In other words, your cited
expert didn't make the assumption that all RCMP are trained in crisis
intervention.

They are left out there to figure things out for themselves - no guidance on
how to initially approach a situation?

They had training in use of force and applied their training in this
situation when an obviously violent person, a big, strong violent person,
resisted arrest.

What the **** is your problem?

Well, I guess my problem is that so many people are whining that the RCMP
killed this guy without cause when they were following their training and
using a compliance tool that is generally safer than using batons, because
they are not required to get hurt subduing violent loonies.

He was struggling (to breathe) and guess what happened after that - he went
unconscious. And then the RCMP officers did NOTHING. They stood there and
LET HIM DIE.
They made no attempt to check him in any way.

You can't see that in the video. They did call for assistance, and in an
airport that should not be far away.
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:15 AM posted to van.general,can.general,bc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
J.Robertson

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
"J.Robertson" wrote:

He did calm down, he was calling "Police Police!" when he saw them, in a
tone of voice that suggests relief and excitement.

I just played the video back. I didn't hear him say that.

Play it again, this time with the sound turned on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wPyI...eature=related

05:59.

He was in no way violent or threatening to the officers. I don't
understand
what behaviour you see him exhibiting that can possible be called
threatening or dangerous. Neither does over 90% of people polled, who've
viewed the video.

Sure. Four cops showed up and he stopped yelling and throwing things. The
fact remains that he had been acting out violently and they had every
reason to expect that he would be violent.

If you expect a suspect to be violent, but he is instead calm and
submissive, in no way threatening, do you not revise your strategy in
dealing with him?
I guess it depends on if you HAD ALREADY MADE THE DECISION TO TASE THE
SUSPECT, as they did, or if you were still willing to use common sense and
judgement (ie. as they were trained to do.)

[...]

Ok then, if they didn't absolutely, 100% HAVE TO tase him and pile on top,
then what else could they have done, Dave?
Oh, you mean they could've done what they were trained to do - assess the
situation and try to communicate?

They absolutely, 100%, did NOT react according to use of force training.
If they had reacted properly, according to training, then why has the
provincial and federal Govt's called for inquiries. Why are there 4 or 5
official inquiries into their actions?

You're missing his point, let me dumb it down a bit:
He was saying that if the officers had followed their training properly,
they would have used crisis intervention skills (ie. not tasing him
within
24 seconds). In other words, it's too bad there weren't rational RCMP
officers on duty, ones that hadn't already made up their minds to use the
Taser as they walked up to Robert.

Perhaps I had better dumb it down for you. You claimed that all RCMP are
trained in crisis intervention. I pointed out that your expert said they
should have called in someone trained in crisis intervention. They were
there to arrest someone who had been trashing the airport and the guy they
came to arrest resisted arrest.

You're not getting it, Dave.
One more time - the expert DID NOT SAY "they should have called in someone
trained in crisis intervention."
He said "this was a situation that required some members who are properly
trained in crisis intervention."

In other words, it's too bad the 4 officers there either weren't trained or
didn't follow their training properly.

Get it?

Dave?

Are you saying that RCMP officers have no training in how to handle a
suspect or a "crisis" ?

No. I thought I was pretty clear. You said all RCMP officers are trained
in
crisis intervention. Your cited expert said they should have called in
someone who was trained in crisis intervention. In other words, your cited
expert didn't make the assumption that all RCMP are trained in crisis
intervention.

They are left out there to figure things out for themselves - no guidance
on
how to initially approach a situation?

They had training in use of force and applied their training in this
situation when an obviously violent person, a big, strong violent person,
resisted arrest.

Your statement highlights a fundamental difference between Police, and the
rest of the country.

The public sees a man struggling to breathe after twice being zapped with
50,000 volts, and having 2 (200+lb?) officers pile on his back, and another
on his neck.
The police see a man who should just lay still and be a good citizen, as
he's slipping into unconsciousness.

Police are not supposed to tase someone twice, and then pile on top of that
person for this very reason. Ya can't breathe. Get it?

What the **** is your problem?

Well, I guess my problem is that so many people are whining that the RCMP
killed this guy without cause when they were following their training and
using a compliance tool that is generally safer than using batons, because
they are not required to get hurt subduing violent loonies.

They were NOT following their training.

He was struggling (to breathe) and guess what happened after that - he
went
unconscious. And then the RCMP officers did NOTHING. They stood there
and
LET HIM DIE.
They made no attempt to check him in any way.

You can't see that in the video. They did call for assistance, and in an
airport that should not be far away.

So that's it?
They just tased him twice (against training) and piled on top of him, knelt
on his neck (against training) until he went limp. Call an ambulance? No
attempt to check him needed?

You cops are ****ing brutal. Absolutely disgusting. Do you have ANY
feeling or compassion for regular citizens? If you make someone lose
consciousness - is your only response "call an ambulance" ?

Why do cops even get first aid training if they don't need to ever use it.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:54 PM posted to van.general,can.general,bc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
Greg Carr

That was the lamest struggle I have ever seen. The police didn't get their
clothing torn or their hair messed up.

--
Read and obey the Bible. Yu'shua died on the cross for our sins, He rose
again and walked the earth. We are awaiting the Third Coming aka The Day Of

Sheep are extremely fluffy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4NEbU_YkZw#gAhmzK_HQgc

Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:59 PM posted to van.general,can.general,bc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
Greg Carr

He did say, "Polis, Polis". It sounded like what a freaked out individual
would say if he suddenly saw a group of policemen.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:01 PM posted to van.general,can.general,bc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada
Greg Carr

Good news is that Stockwell Day has managed to force the CBSA to give a
public report of their view of what happened. I think the total lack of
leadership shown by the RCMP and CBSA in this incident has also riled up a
lot of ppl.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to van.general, can.general, bc.general, rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 22, 9:54 am, "Greg Carr" wrote:
That was the lamest struggle I have ever seen. The police didn't get their
clothing torn or their hair messed up.

One problem there.... her wasn't unconscious. As the guy filming it says
on
the video, he was still struggling.- Hide quoted text -

There was no struggling there. He was cunvulsing from the shock,
which is a normal reaction.