Trip across the USA

Old May 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Trip across the USA

Keith Willshaw wrote:
wrote in message
Henk, that sounds like a great trip. Here are a few thoughts...

* European visitors sometimes don't realize how big the U.S. is, so
I'll point out that your trip is about like driving from the
Netherlands to Saudi Arabia. It's a long drive.

Not even close, at around 850 miles on good roads its a snap in
comparison to Netherlands to Jeddah. Its more like Utrecht to
Florence, a trip made by many Europeans

And you make his point wonderfully. The actual proposed route is over
4000 miles, not the 850 that you believe it to be.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old May 18th, 2008, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote in message
On May 18, 4:58 am, "Keith Willshaw" wrote:
wrote in message

Henk, that sounds like a great trip. Here are a few thoughts...

* European visitors sometimes don't realize how big the U.S. is, so
I'll point out that your trip is about like driving from the
Netherlands to Saudi Arabia. It's a long drive.

Not even close, at around 850 miles on good roads its a snap in
comparison to Netherlands to Jeddah. Its more like Utrecht to
Florence, a trip made by many Europeans

Keith

You're kidding right? According to Mapquest, NY to SF is 2900 miles on
interstate hwys.
Ken

I was responsing to message that talked about St Louis to Denver
but even if you are considering the full trip its still a snip. I've
driven from New York to LA and I've also driven in Southern
Europe, North Africa and the Gulf area

The roads in the latter areas are rather variable in quality to say the
least and finding a Motel 6 for overnight stays is bit more challlenging

Keith

Old May 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Keith Willshaw wrote:
wrote in message
Henk, that sounds like a great trip. Here are a few thoughts...

* European visitors sometimes don't realize how big the U.S. is, so
I'll point out that your trip is about like driving from the
Netherlands to Saudi Arabia. It's a long drive.

Not even close, at around 850 miles on good roads its a snap in
comparison to Netherlands to Jeddah. Its more like Utrecht to
Florence, a trip made by many Europeans

And you make his point wonderfully. The actual proposed route is over
4000 miles, not the 850 that you believe it to be.

As I said above , the message I responded to was talking about the
leg from St Louis to Denver.

By the way I have driven from NYC to LA , it was closer to 3000 miles

I've also driven the Alaskan Highway, compared to driving through
Serbia, Turkey and Iraq - which would be the drive to Saudi arabia
its rather easy and a LOT safer

Keith

Old May 18th, 2008, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tuckermor

Hello Henk,

Sounds like a fabulous trip--I hope you have several weeks!

I recommend that you run right over to www.byways.org. We've recently taken
some long road trips and planned our route as much as we could around these
"scenic byways." They were *fabulous!* Not only were they beautiful and
interesting, but for the most part there was very little traffic, and no
trucks, because they are less direct and less high-speed than the interstate
highways. You see the open countryside, and the towns and houses where
people live, not just highway traffic.

There is lots of info on that site, and most of them have maps, photos, and
estimates of how long it will take to drive them.

Also, look here http://www.us-parks.com/ to see how many national parks you
can visit. If you stop at more than two or three, an America the Beautiful
pass will save you some money and be convenient.

Bon voyage!

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs
"Henk" wrote in message
Hi,

We are making a trip across the States and a part of our trip is through
Missouri, Kansas and Colorado.
Starting at St. Louis and ending at Denver Colorado is there anything
along the I 70 what we must see or avoid.

Our route in general is. Starting in New York then Niagara Falls, Detroit,
Chicago, St. Louis, Denver, Grand Canyon (South Rim and North Rim), Zion
NP or Brice Canyon), LasVegas, Joshua NP, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara,
along the Coast via Highway 1 to San Francisco.

From San Francisco we catch a plane back home to the Netherlands.

If there is any body who can give us hints what to do or not, let us know.

Henk.

Old May 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Not even close, at around 850 miles on good roads its a snap...

As others have pointed out, the entire trip is actually several
thousand miles. I agree that it's good roads, but even so that's still
a lot of driving.

pass through Monument Valley

Yes, I would highly recommend Monument Valley if time permits. And
incidentally many famous western movies (John Wayne, etc) were filmed
there because of the dramatic scenery.

James
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

*Also along the way west from Albuquerque is
Petrified Forest National Park. *Not really a must see
but if your in the area, it's worth a look

I agree; not a "must see" but still it's very interesting.

Another interesting attraction which is further west of Albuquerque is
Meteor Crater (www.meteorcrater.com), a huge & spectacular meteor
crater. It's about 35 miles east of Flagstaff.

James
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

James Step:
Another interesting attraction which is further west of Albuquerque is
Meteor Crater (www.meteorcrater.com), a huge & spectacular meteor crater.

With a very nice little museum.
--
Mark Brader | "...being permitted to propel a ton of steel through
Toronto | public places at speeds of up to 33 m/s is not a
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Mark Brader wrote:
James Step:
Another interesting attraction which is further west of Albuquerque
is Meteor Crater (www.meteorcrater.com), a huge & spectacular
meteor
crater.

With a very nice little museum.

It may be a bit out of the way, but Carlsbad Caverns is worth seeing
IMO.

In Alburquerque there's an atomic bomb museum--if one is interested in
such things it's worth seeing. And if one is staying overnight,
dinner at the High Finance Restaurant is worthwhile--get there before
sunset so you can watch the sunset over the desert.

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

In Alburquerque there's an atomic bomb museum--
if one is interested in such things it's worth seeing. *

I'm sure the original poster won't have time, but if someone's
interested in the history of the atomic bomb they should also visit
the Bradley Science Museum in Los Alamos (about 95 miles north of
Alburquerque). Los Alamos was the top-secret city built by the U.S.
government during World War II where the first atomic bomb was built,
and the city is still the home of some large government nuclear
research facilities.

http://www.lanl.gov/museum/

James