Req: Tips 4 students on travelling to the USA

Old December 27th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Service Tech

wrote in message
oups.com...
I agree, the South generally has best quality people.

Aw-Comon; You have good *and* bad people anywhere in the world. Tourists
are always taking a chance. Most run into the good, but some, unfortunatly,
meet the bad.

Old December 28th, 2004, 02:14 AM
R. van Remortel

JamesStep wrote:
Could you give us a little more information, such as...

* When will you be visiting here? (travel will be more
difficult in some areas during the winter)

* How long will you be staying? (you imply 3 weeks, but
I want to be sure)

* The U.S. is a very large country so we really need to know
your interests. You mentioned a couple things in your post,
but it would be helpful if you were more specific about your
priorities. Visiting big cities like New York? Small towns?
National parks like the Grand Canyon? Historic locations?
Meeting girls at bars and clubs? Lying on the beach? The
more specific you are the better we could offer some
advice.

Jim

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-

Hi There!

First of all I'd like to thank everybody for replying! I didn't expect
so many reactions!

I'm fully aware that the information I provided was quite brief. But my
plans are still quite vague at the moment. I'm just trying to get an
idea about what could be done.

I'm planning to stay about 3 weeks, maybe a month. I will be going from
mid-Juli till the begining of August. The biggest priority is to have a
good time as well getting a realistic impression about the states. We
would like to see as much as possible! And to be honest, I don't know
what to choose first!

I think it would be fun to drive around, visit some tows, explore the
nightlife, meeting other people, maybe visiting a campus or university?
I think the social/cultural aspects should play an important role in our
trip to the USA. I think it would be fun to get an impression of a big
city as well as the natural characteristics of a specific location. I'd
like to get a taste of everything. I know this will be impossible in the
given time, so I'm trying to figure out which state will be the most
suitable for this purpose.

I think that driving the Route 66 isn't such a good plan after all. It
turns out to be quite expensive and maybe a little dull for a couple of
young guys like us.

Best Regards,
Robin

Old December 28th, 2004, 02:48 AM
jcoulter

"R. van Remortel" wrote in
:

with all that in mind I think California has the most to offer. Go from

San Francisco to LA with some sides and you will see some authentic
Americana as well as experiencetwo of our better cities.

Old December 28th, 2004, 05:38 AM
JamesStep

I'm planning to stay about 3 weeks, maybe a month.

That's certainly enough time to see quite a few things. However
the U.S. is quite large and if your budget is tight and you don't
have a rental car you'll probably want to limit yourself to just
a few places, rather than trying to tour the country.

In the northeast, you might want to consider one or more of these
major cities: New York, Washington, and Boston. Lots to see and do
in each of those cities, there's good public transit, and it's fairly easy
to travel between them by plane, train or bus. However, prices will
be high in these cities so you'll need to plan carefully to keep your
expenses down.

Of course in each of these areas there are also numerous smaller
town, especially some college towns, that you might want to consider,
but I'll leave that to others to discuss.

In the south there are a number of good destinations, including
several places in Florida for theme parks, beaches, NASA,
nightlife (and these can be good areas to meet other young
people) and in Louisiana there's the city of New Orleans, which
is also a good town for partying. However keep in mind that it
can get extremely hot and humid in the south during the summer.

In the west, San Francisco would be my #1 recommendation.
A beautiful city and lots to see and do.

If you're looking for fun, you might want to consider a couple
days in Las Vegas. You could arrange your flights so you go
to (or from) California by way of Vegas. This would also give you
an opportunity to see the desert, if you wanted, by taking a
bus tour from Vegas to nearby Hoover Dam, or one of the
nearby parks such as Red Rock. And if you're in Vegas you
might want to consider a side trip to the Grand Canyon, which
surely is one of the most magnificent sights in the country.
One-day bus tours from Vegas to the Grand Canyon are available,
but stay overnight there if you can. (Camping is available at
the Canyon, but you'll need to make reservations far in advance.)

I will be going from mid-Juli till the begining of August.

Mid summer is a popular vacation time in the U.S. because school
children are on summer vacation, and the weather is good most
everywhere. However, you'll find that popular tourist destinations
will be crowded, prices high, and it'll be hot, especially in the
southern states.

Old December 28th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Miguel Cruz

R. van Remortel wrote:
I think it would be fun to drive around, visit some tows, explore the
nightlife, meeting other people, maybe visiting a campus or university?

Someone else suggested this and I second the motion. You could have a lot of
fun if you are reasonably outgoing and rolled up to a big college town like
Madison or Ann Arbor some weekend. Start asking around on Friday afternoon
("we're from Holland, we're driving around the USA, we want to find a
genuine American university party") and within a few hours you should have
collected invitations to more parties than you can manage. More fun than
going to bars, and more real too.

I think that driving the Route 66 isn't such a good plan after all. It
turns out to be quite expensive and maybe a little dull for a couple of
young guys like us.

I tend to agree. You really have to be a history buff to properly appreciate
it.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu