Getting DSL access in Paris question

Old February 20th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Jeremy Henderson

Default Getting DSL access in Paris question

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:09:41 +0100, hotels Splendid + Gounod Nice wrote:

bonjour
should not be any problem; main provider in France is Wanadoo (france
telecom) aol also offers dsl, as well as noos
have a nice time

michel

Noos is a cable operator and they won't connect you for 3 months, even if
your appt. is cabled already. In fact Noos is what we use and we are well
satisfied with it. The man came to connect us exactly when he said he
would, having called the day before to confirm the appointment, and did a
very neat job. Connection speed and reliability is excellent - much better
than BT ( I always feel like I'm temtping fate saying that...)

We were also tempted by Nerim, and my colleagues with Wanadoo also say
that it is very easy to fix up.

The killer for you is the 3 months thing, which as I mentioned, may be
possible using "Alice", a product of Italian Telecom.

J;
Old February 21st, 2004, 12:28 AM
Luca Logi

Jeremy Henderson wrote:

The killer for you is the 3 months thing, which as I mentioned, may be
possible using "Alice", a product of Italian Telecom.

Well, I use the Italian thing so I checked the French site out of
curiosity.

First, go for the flat fee. The non-subscription fee goes for EUR
1.50/hour and so is not good for heavy users. (Here in Italy a user
installed a router instead of a DSL on a hourly subscription. As a
router connects itself to the internet automatically even if its human
users are not on line, the resulting monthly bill was disastrous).

In Italy the minumum lenght of the Alice contract is one year. Browsing
the contract on the web site, it looks like in France the service may be
terminated by mailing 15 days in advance. But I have not read the
contract carefully. The OP should also try to understand if the DSL
connection should be required by the landlord.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:49 AM
Jeremy Henderson

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:37:25 +0000, Darby Jo wrote:

I'd also love to know if it's possible to get a carte de séjour
to stay for longer than 90 days if I'm telecommuting for an
American company and whether I would need a French work permit to
do so. I'm going to contact the consulate myself, but if anyone
here has any knowledge or experience with that, please let me
know.

Darby Jo

Don't know if this is a solution for you, but a Brazilian guy who is
working in our offices (not as our employee, though - he's on a project
for his employer in Brazil) goes over to London every three months to get
his passport stamped and then comes back as a tourist.

J;

--
Encrypted e-mail address. Click to mail me:
http://cerbermail.com/?nKYh3qN4YG

Old February 21st, 2004, 10:10 AM
szozu

"Darby Jo" wrote in message

I'd also love to know if it's possible to get a carte de séjour
to stay for longer than 90 days if I'm telecommuting for an
American company and whether I would need a French work permit to
do so. I'm going to contact the consulate myself, but if anyone
here has any knowledge or experience with that, please let me
know.

A carte de sejour is no longer necessary for EU residents, but non-EU
citizens will still have to deal with the prefecture. You will need to sort
out things with the consulate before coming to France if you want to do
things legally (start immediately as it may take forever!) and make sure the
entry stamp on your passport is legible as they sometimes seem to scrimp on
ink! I don't think you would need a work permit if you're working for a US
firm and being paid in the US. You will need to show proof of medical
insurance that will cover you in France.

And if you're going to Paris, it might be easier to open an account at
Citibank. For transferring money I can highly recommend www.xetrade.com You
can set up an account before you actually need it.

Lana

Old February 21st, 2004, 10:57 AM
Jeremy Henderson

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:10:04 +0100, szozu wrote:

"Darby Jo" wrote in message

[...]

I'd be interested to know the source of your information, since it
contradicts my own experience and also the information he

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/A...-FXETR115.html

J;

Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:03 AM
szozu

"Jeremy Henderson" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm not sure which part of my post you're referring to, however, if it's
about the carte de sejour requirement, here it is:

"Newsflash!
Article 14 of Law number 2003-1119 of 26 November 2003 has removed the
requirement for citizens of the EU, the Europeon Economic Zone and
Switzerland to have a Titre de Séjour except in some specific circumstances.
A decree from the Council of State will explain the precise circumstances in
which a Titre de Séjour must or may be issued. AngloINFO will update its
information when that decree is published."

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/cds.asp

Also the identical info on the website you referred to:

Flash info - Février 2004 - Flash info

"L'article 14 de la loi n°2003-1119 du 26 novembre 2003 relative au séjour
des étrangers en France (Journal officiel du 27) a modifié les dispositions
sur le droit au séjour des ressortissants communautaires.
Désormais, les ressortissants communautaires qui souhaitent établir en
France leur résidence habituelle ne sont plus tenus de détenir un titre de
séjour, sauf dans certains cas.

Un décret pris en Conseil d'Etat doit préciser les conditions de délivrance
du titre de séjour pour les personnes qui en font la demande.

La fiche d'information sera mise à jour dès la publication du décret."

EU citizens who have gone to the prefecture in Nice to apply have already
been told that they don't need a carte de sejour, even though in certain
cases that is not true, but the prefecture prefers to generalize as it cuts
down on people queueing up.

If your comment applies to working for a US company and having funds paid
into a US bank account, I doubt that this would be considered "working" for
official purposes as it would be outside the French system. It would more
than likely be viewed as having a source of income, same as a pension.
Details should be obtained from the French Consulate in the country of
origin, however, and medical insurance is mandatory.

Lana

Old February 24th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:03:20 +0100, szozu wrote:

[...]

Interesting - thanks!!

J;