getting Euros

Old August 31st, 2005, 05:44 AM
randee

Hatunen wrote:

communication when you could only post, there was no such thing
as top or bottom posting because you could not include the
here) just what was it you were posting TO?

If you asked 'who', the answer would be 'other physicists'. As to
'what', I don't recall that we even had a name for those early network
attempts, maybe the electrical guys did. A lot of the early work,
including projects like analog computers and masers, was supported in
the US by the Army Signal Corp. Seems like that work just sorta faded
away, but years later ARPA was formed and put money into what became the
arpanet; like the WWW, initially as a tool for physicists to
communicate. The first six or so arpanet nodes joined the computers at
the US national labs like Los Alamos, Argonne and Oak Ridge.
--
wf.
Old August 31st, 2005, 06:22 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"randee" wrote in message

Keith W wrote:

Where would I look for a v"vi" editor?

On a Unix workstation. Operating systems like HPUX, IRIX, Solaris,
AIX,
UNICOS. Don't worry about it, well off topic for r.t.e.

And one shuld be forewarned that vi is a text based program with
a very arcane command code system.

See http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html for an idea.

And for the masochistic there are windows and mac versions
available

http://www.vim.org/download.php

Personally I always made a point of getting the GNU
emacs editor on all my Unix boxes and Windows

Keith

I once spent a lot of lunch hours putting emacs on one of my
programmer's workstations, then she decided she did not like it and went
on using vi! EMACS did not compile easily at all under HPUX, at least
back 10 or 12 years ago. Didn't do much for me either, vi works fine.

My first and only experience of it it crashed when navigating
using the arrow keys (instead of whichever cryptic set of
alpha keys that you were meant to use).

I decided it was a crock of ****e and have never touched it since

tim

Old August 31st, 2005, 11:46 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:44:09 -0600, randee
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

communication when you could only post, there was no such thing
as top or bottom posting because you could not include the
here) just what was it you were posting TO?

If you asked 'who', the answer would be 'other physicists'. As to
'what', I don't recall that we even had a name for those early network
attempts, maybe the electrical guys did. A lot of the early work,
including projects like analog computers and masers, was supported in
the US by the Army Signal Corp. Seems like that work just sorta faded
away, but years later ARPA was formed and put money into what became the
arpanet; like the WWW, initially as a tool for physicists to
communicate. The first six or so arpanet nodes joined the computers at
the US national labs like Los Alamos, Argonne and Oak Ridge.

Ah. Well, the subject of this thread was manner of posting to
usenet; I'm not clear of the relevance of posting to other
physicists. What kind of posting was it? BB?

Old September 2nd, 2005, 12:11 AM
randee

Hatunen wrote:

Ah. Well, the subject of this thread was manner of posting to
usenet; I'm not clear of the relevance of posting to other
physicists. What kind of posting was it? BB?

No the subject of the thread is obtaining Euros. It devolved into a
discussion of the Uselessnet and predecessors. The earliest computer
communications were related to computational results and were sent
directly to other computers/teletypes, closest today might be ftp.
--
wf.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:11:16 -0600, randee
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

Ah. Well, the subject of this thread was manner of posting to
usenet; I'm not clear of the relevance of posting to other
physicists. What kind of posting was it? BB?

No the subject of the thread is obtaining Euros. It devolved into a
discussion of the Uselessnet and predecessors. The earliest computer
communications were related to computational results and were sent
directly to other computers/teletypes, closest today might be ftp.

Excuse me; I shouild have said 'sub-thread" not "thread"