Looking for Remote Islands in Hawaii

Old February 20th, 2007, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Looking for Remote Islands in Hawaii

My friend is getting married Aug 17 this year in Maui. I figured I
would arrive earlier in the week and get to know the area a little
since it's my 1st trip to a Hawaiian island.

Years ago I saw a tv show that featured some remote places off Hawaii
that people could visit and pretty much have the whole island to
themselves. Sounds a bit scary, but I'm game. I have never done a
secluded retreat before and I'm willing to try.

This particular island (from the tv show) only had one boat that
visited once per day so if you missed the boat you were SOL for
another 24 hrs. The only other people on the island were farmers/
fishermen. I'm not sure how they lived on the island. I assume they
grabbed coconuts from the trees and ate them.

Can anyone give some advice? It doesn't have to be as remote as the
island I just mentioned. It can just be a small quaint island that I
can spend one or two days on.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Feb 20, 7:52 pm, Brian wrote:
On 20 Feb 2007 00:22:19 -0800, wrote:
Are you thinking of this?
http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/hawaii/niihau/
http://www.ehow.com/how_2003726_acco...au-hawaii.html

Sounds very interesting. Btw - ni hau means "hello" in mandarin
chinese. I think I would be scared to travel to an island inhabited by
tribesmen where there are no outsiders. Thanks for all the suggestions
guys.