Philadelphia Connection Time

Old October 15th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Michael Castens

Default Philadelphia Connection Time

Any comments on how sensible a 2 hour 15 minute connection time at PHL is?
(US Airways, Saturday afternoon, MAN-PHL-PHX)

Old October 15th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Ryan B

"Michael Castens" wrote in message
Any comments on how sensible a 2 hour 15 minute connection time at PHL is?
(US Airways, Saturday afternoon, MAN-PHL-PHX)

Even at the stinko PHL airport 2 1/4 hours is plenty of time. Biggest
problem at PHL is connecting to international flights leaving from the new
concourse A. It's a very long walk to the new concourse A. I think it must
be located in Allentown.

Ryan

Old October 15th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Michael Castens" wrote:

Any comments on how sensible a 2 hour 15 minute connection time at PHL is?
(US Airways, Saturday afternoon, MAN-PHL-PHX)

With the old int'l terminal, it would have been dicey. Not sure how it
is with the new one.
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Ryan B

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
"Michael Castens" wrote:

Any comments on how sensible a 2 hour 15 minute connection time at PHL

is?
(US Airways, Saturday afternoon, MAN-PHL-PHX)

With the old int'l terminal, it would have been dicey. Not sure how it
is with the new one.

Just realized you're coming in from the UK. In that case unless you have
only carry-on luggage you are in trouble. Waiting for checked luggage and
then getting through immigration and customs and then the marathon walk to
your new gate which will include going through airport security; you may not
make it. Biggest problem is that you will have to go through airport
security after leaving concourse A and arriving at the main terminal before
going to your Phoenix gate.
Good luck.

Ryan

Old October 16th, 2003, 02:37 AM
John R. Levine

Any comments on how sensible a 2 hour 15 minute connection time at
PHL is? (US Airways, Saturday afternoon, MAN-PHL-PHX)

The minimum connecting time is 90 minutes, and Saturdays are less busy,
so it should be OK.

If you miss the 6:15 flight to PHX there's no more non-stops until the
following morning, but there's an ATA connection via Chicago at 6:45
that gets you to PHX at 11:52, or you can take the US 8:20 or the HP
(America West) 8:15 to Las Vegas, connecting to a midnight HP flight
to Phoenix that gets in at 1:57 AM. Those aren't great, but at least
you have some alternatives to spending the night at PHL.

Old October 16th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Gene J. Yao

"Ryan B" wrote in message ...

Just realized you're coming in from the UK. In that case unless you have
only carry-on luggage you are in trouble. Waiting for checked luggage and
then getting through immigration and customs and then the marathon walk to
your new gate which will include going through airport security; you may not
make it. Biggest problem is that you will have to go through airport
security after leaving concourse A and arriving at the main terminal before
going to your Phoenix gate.
Good luck.

Ryan

He's flying US Airways onward to PHX. Thus he shouldn't have to
re-enter the secured areas since IIRC all of US Airways' gates can be
reached within the secured area. His flight from the UK will arrive
in Terminal A and his flight to Phoenix will most likely leave from
Terminal B/C (Termianls A and B/C are connected within the secured
area). Even if his flight leaves from Terminal F (which is not likely
since I think PHL-PHX is always on an A319/320 or a B737) there's a
bus within the secured zone from Term A (leaving from Gate A1) to Term
F. The only Terminal I can think of that's not linked in any way via
the secured area to Term A is Term E (and maybe D). As for
immigrations, I've found that to be ok. In the past, I've heard it
wasn't but last tiem I went through there it went by fiarly quickly
and they had nearly all of their 52 immigration gates open. Customs
was easy as well. The delay came in waiting for checked luggage -
that took forever. Nevertheless, 2.5 hours should be enough.
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Ryan B

(Gene J. Yao) wrote:

[...]

Is this how the new int'l terminal is set up? In the old one (part of
pier A), you got dumped landside after U.S. customs and had to go
thourgh security to get airside.

That is a fact. Or it was two weeks ago. You arrive at the new
international concourse A and then must pass through security before going
to your connecting domestic flight.

Ryan

Old October 16th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Not the Karl Orff

(Gene J. Yao) wrote:

[...]

Is this dedicated for int'l arriving pax or do they have to rejoin some
security line open to all?