The Euro at $1.55

Old March 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Default The Euro at $1.55

John Kulp writes:

Both for the Germans would total about 62
million if you could blame them all on the Germans, which I doubt was
the case.

Oh, well, that changes everything!
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

JohnT writes:

Not logical. I am fervently anti-Nazi, because my family suffered greatly,
but I certainly bear no ill-will towards Germany or German people in the
early 21st Century.

Where did the Nazis come from, again?
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

On Mar 29, 3:17*am, (John Kulp) wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:47:09 -0700, Hatunen wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 07:58:54 +0000, "Mr Suburbia (Mike...) "
wrote:

Following up to *"d.g.s." wrote:

travel to US to eat a steak, are you kidding? Or is this some special
treatment?

The two best countries in the world for steak are the USA and
Argentina. *This isn't to say you can't get a good steak in Europe;
I had a wonderful onglet recently in Belgium. *But a steak at, say,
Peter Luger's in New York City is a thing of beauty - at least to
those who like steak, anyway. *Vegetarians may beg to differ.

I'm no veggie but I wouldn't travel anywhere to eat a steak. Also,
I've read that US steak is bred for tenderness not flavour? (no idea
if that's true, something about stalls and non grass feeding).

Arguing about food is a pointless endevor, but I'll put a steak
from Little Abner's northwest of Tucson into the "best steak"
contest anytime.

Take a look at the menu at The Fort outside of Denver and tell me what
you think:

http://www.thefort.com/

I'd go for the tongue and the Washtunkala Cast Iron Kettle

And the huckleberry dessert if I had room - never tasted
huckleberries.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

William Black writes:

Therefore the only power in the Middle East the USA can absolutely rely on
not to attack them in some way is Israel.

Or would you rather trust Arabs?

There's not much difference between the two, except religion. Both are very
much fair-weather friends.
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Dave Frightens Me writes:

They have a democratic, very loyal ally in the middle east, and that is
something very valuable.

They could get lots of allies like that if they treated other countries with
the same unconditional preference and blank checks.

Israel is an ally only as long as the U.S. gives something to Israel and does
not attempt to oppose it in any way. Plenty of countries can fulfill that
role.

Oh, and Israel is exceptionally good at war stuff.

Since making war is all the country ever seems to do, that's not surprising.
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:21:11 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

Martin writes:

There are far more French, Americans and others, who have committed
atrocities
walking the streets than Germans.

Really? What are the numbers?

"Do your own research"

A hit, a hit, a palpable hit...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:05:27 +0100, Martin
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:32:03 -0000, "William Black"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:05:34 -0000, "William Black"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
m...
William Black writes:

Is this before or after the Israelis empty buckets of instant sunshine
over
every major Arab city?

It would be very hard for them to remain belligerent for long without
the
unlimited bankrolling of the U.S.

They managed ok from 1948 to 1967...

???

No substantial US financial aid to Israel before 1967.

No US ***govt*** financial aid.

No serious weapons imports before about 1970.

You are joking?

http://www.scramble.nl/il.htm

1956 was the year of the Sinai campaign. Within a few days the IDF took the
whole Sinai desert and Israeli forces stood on the banks of the Suez canal. Only
fifteen IDF/AF aircraft were lost during this short but fierce battle. After
this war the modernisation of the IDF/AF sped up and the first Fouga Magisters
were delivered by France and Germany. The Magisters were enhanced and named
"Tzukit" and they can still be seen in the skies over Israel

It was Eisenhower who refuse to support israel, Britain and
France during that war.

The sixties were the days of the delivery of the first Mach 2 Fighters and the
infamous Six Day War. The Mirage III played a very important role during the Six
Day war. At one time only 12 Mirages where used to defend the skies of Israel,
while the rest of the other aircraft were used to decimate the Egypt Air Force
and after that the same thing happened to the Jordanian, Syrian and Iraqi Air
Forces on the same day! The easy victory on those Air Forces, which had their
aircraft all lined up on the ramp, led to the building of Hardened Aircraft
Shelters within the NATO.

Are yo saying teh USA supplied Mirages?

After the end after six days the borders had been changed, they took control of
the Golan heights, the Sinai and the Westbank (with East Jerusalem). Result of
this war was however a weapons embargo called up by France and England. So
Israel had to turn to the USA for new and modern weapons. The first Phantoms and
Skyhawks were delivered to the IDF/AF at the end of the sixties,

Um. "The end of the sixties" falls under his cited time frame of
"about 1970".

Which part of what he said are your trying to contradict?

[...]

Old March 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:27:53 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Mxsmanic
says...

Israel is a black hole into which the U.S. pours money and resources without
any return whatsoever. It would make more sense to pour all that into other
countries that can at least reciprocate with things like oil.

It seems that the USA like to punish themselves. 500 billion $ poured
into the war in Iraq so far.

If you got it, flaunt it.

Old March 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
William Black writes:

And those bloody awful Leipzig binoculars...

And that very nice Leica and Carl Zeiss glass.

Leica lenses are made in Japan these days...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 28th, 2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:52:05 -0000, "William Black"
wrote:

"John Kulp" wrote in message

And the Ninth
Circuit is the most overturned of the appeals courts in the US by the
Supreme Court, so it is hardly final.

As far as I can see this is just a deliberate attempt by the US government
to keep a court in existance to produce decisions that they want rather than
what justice demands.

You've totally lost me on that one. Which court is being kept in
existence?