The Euro at $1.55

Old April 5th, 2008, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default The Euro at $1.55

Martin wrote:

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:42:15 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:20:09 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:00:11 +0100,
(David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:
[]
I'm interested in the airbook ditching the optical drive... done for
obvious reasons in this case, but I wonder if the optical drive will go
the way of the floppy soon? I haven't used one of the latter for almost
a decade now...

I've never used the floppy nor the cassette archiving drive on my PC.

I haven't owned a machine that had one since 1999!

DAT backup? That takes me back to the mid 90s!

An Iomega Zip drive. It had a disk in the cartridge?

Ah- yes the Zip drive, I remember that too. It held more on its 100MB
disk than I currently could on the hard drive!

We used them at work fir backups. They weren't perfect the only time I really
needed to recover something the Zip wasn't readable.

The three disks I had were OK. I used one as my start-up disk for about
a year!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Martin" wrote in message

One fix is to use an external DVD drive that is set up for the USA.

Why bother?

Ebuyer do a USB 2 read/write multiregion one for about £32...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

William Black wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

One fix is to use an external DVD drive that is set up for the USA.

Why bother?

Ebuyer do a USB 2 read/write multiregion one for about £32...

Well, the real annoyance is that as my laptop has a DVD drive, why
should I have to fork out for another one, plus the extra hassle of
carrying it around. If it really bothered me, I'd probably look at
replacing the optical drive itself with a third party model that can be
firmware hacked.

Old April 5th, 2008, 01:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

One fix is to use an external DVD drive that is set up for the USA.

Why bother?

Ebuyer do a USB 2 read/write multiregion one for about £32...

Well, the real annoyance is that as my laptop has a DVD drive, why
should I have to fork out for another one, plus the extra hassle of
carrying it around. If it really bothered me, I'd probably look at
replacing the optical drive itself with a third party model that can be
firmware hacked.

The whole 'DVD Region' thing is dead outside the USA.

The only reason they can make this crap stick on computers is because the
computer companies all want US government contracts, or, like Apple, have
a vested interest in the whole ghastly twisted mess that is the modern
copyright system (and I've earned a few quid from it myself, but it's still
a ghastly mess unless you're an ex Beatle or Frank Sinatra's heirs)

--
William Black

Time for tea.

..

Old April 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:53:26 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .

One fix is to use an external DVD drive that is set up for the USA.

Why bother?

Ebuyer do a USB 2 read/write multiregion one for about £32...

That's another £32 I have saved by not being an Apple lover.

Oddly, I saved the £32 too!