Euro rail Pass Germany and France

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default Euro rail Pass Germany and France

In article
,
Amit wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am a Non-European citizen traveling to Germany on 30th May. I see a
lot of people recommending euro rail passes if you have to travel
between two countries.

I would like to travel a bit within Germany and to-fro to Paris as
well. Would anyone recommend a euro rail pass for this or individual
tickets are as good.

Another Question, can I buy Euro Rail pass from Munich ?

Thanks in advance

- Amit

If you're talking about Eurail, they're grossly overpriced compared to
other rail passes.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"Graham Harrison" wrote:

"Amit" wrote in message
On May 27, 3:55 pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Amit" wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

I am a Non-European citizen traveling to Germany on 30th May. I see a
lot of people recommending euro rail passes if you have to travel
between two countries.

I would like to travel a bit within Germany and to-fro to Paris as
well. Would anyone recommend a euro rail pass for this or individual
tickets are as good.

Another Question, can I buy Euro Rail pass from Munich ?

Thanks in advance

- Amit

http://www.eurail.com/1_our_products

Thanks for Replying.. But I am sorry to say, I couldn't find the
answer to my question.

Can I buy a Euro rail pass, when I am in Germany ?
Website is pretty good, but doesn't give a clear answer to this
question, or may be I missed something

Thanks in advance

- Amit

More information he

http://www.seat61.com/Railpass.htm#overseas%20visitors

None of those really answer your question. My understanding has always
been that you have to buy the Eurail Pass while still at home (e.g. outside
Europe) but I can't find anything that says that and the Eurail FAQ seems to
contradict it. Not only that but Eurail say they will mail it to you in
Europe provided you prove you live outside Europe (but it costs!).

I would never buy a Eurail Pass to begin with. I HAVE bought GermanRail
passes at the airport in Frankfurt.

Old May 29th, 2008, 12:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:48:24 -0700 (PDT), Amit
wrote:

On May 28, 2:54 am, Hatunen wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Amit

wrote:
unfortunately now i don't have enough time to get the passes shipped.
Lets hope I get some deal while I am in europe.

At lest in Germany I've found the station agents to be most
helpful in finding good deals for us.

There are a lot of different regional passes and things like
weekend passes and that sort of thing that make travel pretty
cheap.

A few years back I bought a BahnCard50, which at that time was
good for a year and gave me and my family a 50% discount on
DeutscheBahn fares. But the agent at the Munich Hauptbahnhof
pointed out that a special regional ticket, without the discount,
would cost us even less overall.

You can usehttp://bahn.hafas.deto look up schedules and some
fares, particularly for trips entirely within German. It also
covers some trips leaving Germany. For instance, it shows a
standard fare of EUR 174 from Berlin to Paris, but also notes
special fares from EUR 39.

Thanks to everyone
One more small question : Are Euro Rail return tickets flexible, +1/-1
in return date ?

If you mean individual tickets rather than passes, it depends on
the type and cost of the ticket. Ask when you buy the tickets.

Old May 29th, 2008, 05:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rajeev Aloysius

On May 27, 2:49*pm, Amit wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am a Non-European citizen traveling to Germany on 30th May. I see a
lot of people recommending euro rail passes if you have to travel
between two countries.

I would like to travel a bit within Germany and to-fro to Paris as
well. Would anyone recommend a euro rail pass for this or individual
tickets are as good.

Another Question, can I buy Euro Rail pass from Munich ?

Thanks in advance

- Amit

In Continental Europe, unlike the UK which has cheap priced Advance
Purchase tickets, you should have a pass. It saves you from waiting in
the queue to purchase, and there are considerable cost benefits. When
taking high speed trains such as the TGV, a small reservation charge
(EUR3 per person, per train) is payable.
You should buy the Eurail pass outside Europe from the registered GSA.

Best Regards
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article
,
Rajeev Aloysius wrote:

In Continental Europe, unlike the UK which has cheap priced Advance
Purchase tickets, you should have a pass. It saves you from waiting in
the queue to purchase, and there are considerable cost benefits. When
taking high speed trains such as the TGV, a small reservation charge
(EUR3 per person, per train) is payable.
You should buy the Eurail pass outside Europe from the registered GSA.

Do you sell them? There are much cheaper flexible rail passes available
IN Europe, at least at international airports with rain connections, for
a few days of your choice within a month. Eurail passes are grossly
overpriced.

Old May 30th, 2008, 05:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 28 May 2008 21:12:30 -0700 (PDT), Rajeev Aloysius
wrote:

On May 27, 2:49*pm, Amit wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am a Non-European citizen traveling to Germany on 30th May. I see a
lot of people recommending euro rail passes if you have to travel
between two countries.

I would like to travel a bit within Germany and to-fro to Paris as
well. Would anyone recommend a euro rail pass for this or individual
tickets are as good.

Another Question, can I buy Euro Rail pass from Munich ?

Thanks in advance

- Amit

In Continental Europe, unlike the UK which has cheap priced Advance
Purchase tickets, you should have a pass. It saves you from waiting in
the queue to purchase, and there are considerable cost benefits.

Except under unusual circumstances, no there aren't.

When
taking high speed trains such as the TGV, a small reservation charge
(EUR3 per person, per train) is payable.

And you have to get in line to pay it...

Old May 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rajeev Aloysius

On May 29, 8:29*pm, erilar wrote:
In article
,
*Rajeev Aloysius wrote:

Do you sell them? *There are much cheaper flexible rail passes available
IN Europe, at least at international airports with rain connections, for
a few days of your choice within a month. *Eurail passes are grossly
overpriced.

Eurail has Flexible Rail Passes too, and from what I can see on the
web, they seem to be similarly priced with those sold by DeutscheBahn
in Germany. Eurail Global Passes are grossly overpriced indeed. So it
looks like he CAN purchase his Flexible railpass (or Selectpass / 2 -
country pass as the case may be) from the local train station or
airport.

Regards
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

The problem with the Bahncard50 is that it doesn't give you any
reductions on special fares. Either you pay full fare minus 50%, or you
buy a reduced price ticket. The main advantage of BahnCard50 is that you
are flexible, and can travel any train in the price category you paid for.

T.

Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:34:31 +0200, Tom P
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

[...]

A few years back I bought a BahnCard50, which at that time was
good for a year and gave me and my family a 50% discount on
DeutscheBahn fares. But the agent at the Munich Hauptbahnhof
pointed out that a special regional ticket, without the discount,
would cost us even less overall.

[...]

The problem with the Bahncard50 is that it doesn't give you any
reductions on special fares. Either you pay full fare minus 50%, or you
buy a reduced price ticket. The main advantage of BahnCard50 is that you
are flexible, and can travel any train in the price category you paid for.

When I had a BahnCard50 four years ago it covered me, my wife and
our little girl. I seem to recall that it And I got it at senior
price of only EUR 100. It was just fine. I seem to recall that it
even covered discount fares at the time (depending on the sort of
discount; I don't think it would have covered the likes of a
Wochender fare). I'm not sure I'd get one now that it would only
cover the holder.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_4_]

Hatunen wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:34:31 +0200, Tom P
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

[...]

[...]

DB introduced a new tariff about 2 years ago IIRC. If you use the online
booking system, you'll notice that the special offers disappear if you
check the BahnCard50 dropdown box. I know, because I have the Bahncard50.