Planned trip to Cambodia

Old November 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Fred De Groof

Default Planned trip to Cambodia

Next year in april we'd like to visit Siem Reap out of Bangkok. From
there we
would go to Phnom Penh and from PP returning to Thailand via Koh
Chang.
We prefer to voyage by bus/car/train. What are the possibilities to do
this trip? Is it safe to do this by our own?
Old November 9th, 2003, 06:01 AM
John

I lived in PP for three years and a few bad things happened, and when
foreigners were involved it was usually because they did stupid things.
Cambodians are very welcoming and you should have a good time.
John
Have a look at www.storesonline.com/site/travelinasia
Some good stuff there.

om...

Old November 10th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Raoul De Guchteneere

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 05:12:50 -0800, Fred De Groof wrote:

Next year in april we'd like to visit Siem Reap out of Bangkok. From there
we
would go to Phnom Penh and from PP returning to Thailand via Koh Chang.
We prefer to voyage by bus/car/train. What are the possibilities to do
this trip? Is it safe to do this by our own?

Have a look at http://talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland.htm for all the
information needed and more about this trip.

R.

--
Photos of Southeast Asia
http://www.rale.be
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Vincent Mahoney

"April"? I think it will be "Dry". If it is, you will have no problem.
From Kho Sarn Road you can buy a ticket that will get you to the Thai/
Cambo border. The Thai side will be a quick, smooth, 4 hour drive in a
white, Air con Van. You will get out at the border and walk into
Cambodia. Cambodian customs ask for some sort of "immunization slip", if
you don't have it (most Barangs don't) , they will charge you 150 Bhat.
On the Cambodian side, you will have to sit for 2 or 3 hours for the
Compact Japanese Pickup truck to arrive. I think they purposely delay
this truck so you will arrive in Siem Reap just after dark so they can
drop you off at their Uncles Guest house. This guest house will be
acceptable even if its $1 or $2 more than the local rate. You will be so
tired, sun burnt and dusty that all you want is a room for the night.
They know you will be way to tired to walk round town at 9PM with your
backpack Just to save $2 on a room. (well, unless you are Scottish or
Israeli).

Although this truck journey on the Cambodian side is dusty and bumpy,
you should give it a try.