Need for a Tour Leader in Paris France Be Welcome.

Old April 12th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Mxsmanic

Deep Foiled Malls writes:

At what point of your market research did you determine that customers
would pay you ¤300 euros for a days tour of you accompanying them
around Paris as a friend in toe, and then having them obliged to pay
for your lunch?

After examining the rates and services of the competition. But I
actually charge less than that, for small groups, and my fees are
roughly average for the handful of people who offer this exact service.

Old April 12th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:00:38 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:54:25 GMT, Deep Foiled Malls
wrote:

No. 1 problem with Shakespeare is that people feel it should not be
modernised, and that you should read the original versions. I would
rather marvel at the great story telling that wrestling with the
language that it was written in.

Since Will stole most of his plots I'm sure you can find
non-Shakespearian versions thereof updated to today's language.
Or read the Cliff's Notes (or their non-Merkin equivalent).

In my experience, the academic study of Shakespeare often (but not
always) ignores the performance dynamic.

Whether or not Will intended an "industry" to grow up around hid
works, with so-called "scholars" combing his words for hidden
meanings, is a moot point. I somehow doubt that he sat there,
scratching away with his quill, thinking: "Phwooar! Gotta put a bit of
water symbolism in here." I tend to think that he intended the plays
to be performed rather than be read

My totally personal take on this is that I've thoroughly enjoyed
acting in Will's plays but have heartily dtested trying to
psychoanalyze the guy in Lit-Crit classes.

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old April 12th, 2005, 11:29 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

TourLeader wrote:

Unless he moved since he registered his website, of course.

He's not on the run, never sleeping in the same house two nights
running.

Extraordinary mxsmanic, finally since the beginning - All
he wanted was to advertise, but he didn't want to do it directly
as i could do. Why ?
mxsmanic don't worry if you're in jail one day, i will
bring you oranges....

I'll bring limes.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net

Old April 12th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Keith W

"Keith Anderson" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Indeed, were old Bill around today he'd be writing scripts
for TV and Film and not trying to win The Booker.

His plays were genuinely popular entertainment, people
talked about the latest Shakespeare Play in the same
way they now discuss the latest Starwars blockbuster.

It was never especially highbrow or respectable, which is
why most playhouses were south of the river along with
the bear baiting and whorehouses

Keith

Old April 12th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Keith Anderson wrote:

In my experience, the academic study of Shakespeare often (but not
always) ignores the performance dynamic.

True. My teacher of English, a wise man, reminded us of this very
much. He invited us to consider Will doing a hasty rewrite during
rehearsals because a scene was not working well.

Whether or not Will intended an "industry" to grow up around hid
works, with so-called "scholars" combing his words for hidden
meanings, is a moot point. I somehow doubt that he sat there,
scratching away with his quill, thinking: "Phwooar! Gotta put a bit of
water symbolism in here." I tend to think that he intended the plays
to be performed rather than be read

My totally personal take on this is that I've thoroughly enjoyed
acting in Will's plays but have heartily dtested trying to
psychoanalyze the guy in Lit-Crit classes.

From the recesses of my mind, I drag up:
I dreamt last night that Shakespeare's ghost
Sat an exam for a civil service post.
The English paper for that year
Contained a question on King Lear
Which Shakespeare answered very badly
Because he had not read his Bradley.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old April 12th, 2005, 01:03 PM
No Spam

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Statistically, the French are still among the dirtiest people in Western
Europe, although it's nothing like the old days.

Please cite the evidence from which
your statistics are derived.