Need for a Tour Leader in Paris France Be Welcome.

Old April 30th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Mxsmanic

Emilia writes:

No one said it had to "forever end ever"

A lifetime plus 70 years is effectively forever and ever.

A carpenter isn't the author of an original work.

So? Why should authors of original works be paid over and over for a
single instance of their work, when people in other professions only get
paid once for each bit of work they produce?

No one said for ever. If others want to get in on the royality deal then
they just need to create an original work that someone wants to license and
that others want to buy. Really easy. Get to work.

That can be reversed, too: If artists want to make money, let them get
real jobs as butchers or construction workers instead of goofing off
producing useless "art."

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:23 PM
poldy

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

There is nothing unethical about making money from your creative works.

Perhaps for a limited time, but not forever. Originally, in the U.S.,
copyright was just 14 years, which was plenty. Today, it's the lifetime
of the author plus 70 years, which is ridiculous. Work once, get paid
forever? There are a lot of people in other occupations who would love
to have that opportunity!

The problem in the US is that copyright is often controlled by
conglomerates, not the artist who created the work.

Look at the way the record industry is. They strong-arm artists into
one-sided contracts at one end and then lobby Congress to extend
copyrights and induce penalties for so-called copyright infringement on
the other end.

Just this week, Congress passed a law, which Bush signed, which makes it
illegal to sue a company called Clear Play, which removes scenes and
adult language from mainstream feature film DVDs.

Most directors had decried this product as copyright infringement.
Congress basically wrote a law just to give exception to this one
company because the religious right favors the product.

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:24 PM
poldy

In article ,
Emilia wrote:

Sure ... once. But not forever and ever.

No one said it had to "forever end ever"

How long does a copyright last in the EU?
Old April 30th, 2005, 05:24 PM
poldy

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Padraig Breathnach

poldy wrote:

In article ,
Emilia wrote:

Sure ... once. But not forever and ever.

No one said it had to "forever end ever"

How long does a copyright last in the EU?

I think it is an internationally-agreed convention: the lifetime of
the creator plus 50 years.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED

Old April 30th, 2005, 06:32 PM
No Spam

"Emilia" wrote in message
.54...
... create an original work that someone wants to license and
that others want to buy. Really easy. Get to work.

Mixi? Original? WORK? Not bloody likely. Can you
imagine? Mixi doing real work? It's hilarious!

Old April 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Mxsmanic

nitram writes:

Good advice! Why don't you?

I have.

Old April 30th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Mxsmanic

poldy writes:

How long does a copyright last in the EU?

Different countries can specify different durations, but in France it's
the life of the author plus 75 years, IIRC.