Cost of Eating Out in Paris

Old April 13th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Default Cost of Eating Out in Paris

Hi folks.

I'm off to Paris in a few weeks with my Girlfriend, and we are trying
to figure out how much money to take for Food. I'm thinking that it's
going to be 'roughly' =A3100 for a posh fancy meal, and around =A360 for
a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Could anybody help with some rough
figures please?

Cheers

Old April 13th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Gaz_Taylor

Jan wrote:
You're actually going to sit and eat 3 meals a day??

Well I'm going to try and eat around 3 times a day (at least! ;-) ).

Coffee & Croissant =A32-=A33
Set lunch with wine/water =A35-=A310
Dinner- whatever you want to spend .... from about =A310 upwards for 2
courses.

So not as bad as I thought. I've been under the impression that it was
really expensive, partially due to the girlfriend and what one of her
friend's has said (she went over christmas) and the fact we are staying
near the Champs Elysees.

Cheers

Old April 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Alec

"Emilia" wrote in message
. 54...
"Gaz_Taylor" wrote in
oups.com:

Jan wrote:
You're actually going to sit and eat 3 meals a day??

Well I'm going to try and eat around 3 times a day (at least! ;-) ).

Coffee & Croissant £2-£3
Set lunch with wine/water £5-£10
Dinner- whatever you want to spend .... from about £10 upwards for 2
courses.

So not as bad as I thought. I've been under the impression that it was
really expensive, partially due to the girlfriend and what one of her
friend's has said (she went over christmas) and the fact we are staying
near the Champs Elysees.

It depends what you want to eat. You can easily spend GBP100 on a meal but
you should best bring your dinner jacket or trendiest suit. ;o)

And table reservation weeks if not months in advance. Set lunch is a
relative bargain in gourmet places, and reservation is also easier. It's the
cost of drinks (wine especially) that bumps up the cost.
See www.viamichelin.com for restaurant reviews and good indication of costs.

Alec

Old April 13th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Mark Fagan

You can get an idea of prices at the better places by checking out the
restaurants in the Michelin Red Guide or online at www.viamichelin.com.
There are other online guides available, such as the Gault Millau
(www.mappy.com incorporates their info).

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi folks.

I'm off to Paris in a few weeks with my Girlfriend, and we are trying
to figure out how much money to take for Food. I'm thinking that it's
going to be 'roughly' £100 for a posh fancy meal, and around £60 for

Old April 13th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Padraig Breathnach

"Jan" wrote:

wrote:
Hi folks.

I'm off to Paris in a few weeks with my Girlfriend, and we are trying
to figure out how much money to take for Food. I'm thinking that it's
going to be 'roughly' £100 for a posh fancy meal, and around £60 for
a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Could anybody help with some rough
figures please?

Cheers

You're actually going to sit and eat 3 meals a day??

Coffee & Croissant £2-£3
Set lunch with wine/water £5-£10
Dinner- whatever you want to spend .... from about £10 upwards for 2
courses.

Per person, of course.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM
John Zumsteg

I was there last September -- your guesses are a bit high, I think. We
figured 20 Euros each for a good lunch, 25-30 for a good dinner. But we
also found creperies and salon de the's at which we ate well for less
than that.

John

Old April 13th, 2005, 04:20 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Gaz_Taylor wrote:

Jan wrote:
You're actually going to sit and eat 3 meals a day??

Well I'm going to try and eat around 3 times a day (at least! ;-) ).

Coffee & Croissant £2-£3
Set lunch with wine/water £5-£10
Dinner- whatever you want to spend .... from about £10 upwards for 2
courses.

So not as bad as I thought. I've been under the impression that it was
really expensive, partially due to the girlfriend and what one of her
friend's has said (she went over christmas) and the fact we are staying
near the Champs Elysees.

Certainly, there are some less reasonable restaurants in that area.
However, coming from the UK, I think you'll generally be pleasantly
surprised by the cost of meals. Do have a shop around of course- and
don't assume that just because it's in Paris it must be good. I was at a
restaurant in the latin quarter a couple of years ago, that I assumed
would be good from the look of the menu, and because it seemed to be
filled with locals- certainly a lot of french people anyway. Turned out
to be very humdrum food overpriced for what it was, and the chef had an
interesting notion as to how chicken breast should be cooked- i.e. rare.

That's the exception though. Personally, I find that the 'french' food
found in some of the cheaper restaurants run by (mostly arab) immigrants
can be very good- and the 'menus' tend to be very good value.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Rita wrote:

[]
If you don't insist on the finest wines, I found the cost of wine
in a carafe very reasonable in Paris. Far more so than in the U.S.
I had OK dinners with wine for 20 Euros or so. Good food, if not
the best Paris has to offer. You can find something edible at
most brasseries if cost if a problem.

Yes, I'm also usually happy with the house wine. Is it just me, or has
the cost of house wine in french restaurants rocketed in recent years?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Gaz_Taylor wrote:

Jan wrote:
You're actually going to sit and eat 3 meals a day??

Well I'm going to try and eat around 3 times a day (at least! ;-) ).

If the weather is pleasant, then take away sandwiches (baguettes etc.)
and pastries can be an excellent lunch alternative in Paris.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net