Frustrations about the backpacker scene

Old February 14th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Brian Miller

Default I have a good lead

I found an amature website while I was living in London put up by a
hostel manager in Plakias, Greece on the island of Crete. I emailed him
and made a reservation. That place was awsome. It is not listed on any
travel brochures that I am aware of, so it is only know to the
backpacker circle and is spread by word of mouth. The year I went was
the first year a web site had even been posted (about 3 years ago). The
prices were not posted either, but I figure that it cost me the
equivilent of about $13 US dollars to stay in the hostel for a week
(Not including food). I highly recomend going there to anyone that is
traveling europe. The web site is http://www.yhplakias.com/

Old February 15th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Marcus Lee

Default Frustrations about the backpacker scene

Granted, IMHO Sydney is the prettiest city in the world (I was there
smack dab in their summer), Barcelona second, but I couldn't tolerate
the blandness after a week or so. I prefer Melbourne, it's all about
the people in the end. None of Australia's natural environment was
breathtaking (was there in drought times). The beaches were nice and so
was the Great Ocean Road, but I hear New Zealand is beautiful (heading
there in a few months!)

Yeah I'm all for assorted biscuits....

I guess if we all thought the same, we wouldn't need assorted biscuits. I
don't know how one could have this conclusion about Australia (except maybe
the Sydney CBD).

Old February 15th, 2004, 03:24 PM

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:14:48 -0500, Marcus Lee
wrote:

I found Australia utterly devoid of life - landscape and people... so
that is a place I'm glad to have left.

Marcus...can you expand on this and explain what you mean?

Ive never been to Australia.... but have always dreamed of moving
there
Old February 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
RH

I found Australia utterly devoid of life - landscape and people... so
that is a place I'm glad to have left.

Marcus...can you expand on this and explain what you mean?

Ive never been to Australia.... but have always dreamed of moving
there

Hold on to this dream of yours and move to Australia :-)

Of course it's alright for each of us to have our own opinion about a
certain country.

I've been to Australia two times for a couple of months and I just LOVE the
country - the aussies are very friendly, the nature absolutely beatiful and
a very relaxed atmosphere in general. I've been on two RTW and met a lot of
different people from different countries on my way - and I have never heard
anyone saying anything bad about Australia.

/Sanne

Old February 15th, 2004, 04:19 PM

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:50:50 +0100, "RH" wrote:

I've been to Australia two times for a couple of months and I just LOVE the
country

How is the cost of living there? Say compared to the midwest of the
USA? Rural areas of Missouri that is
Old February 15th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Turby

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:50:50 +0100, "RH" wrote:

I found Australia utterly devoid of life - landscape and people... so
that is a place I'm glad to have left.

I'm sure they miss you.

I've been to Australia two times for a couple of months and I just LOVE the
country - the aussies are very friendly, the nature absolutely beatiful and
a very relaxed atmosphere in general. I've been on two RTW and met a lot of
different people from different countries on my way - and I have never heard
anyone saying anything bad about Australia.

OK. Here it is: flies. billions and bilions - no, make that
googleplexes and googleplexes of flies. Learn the Aussie national
salute. (...waves hand in front of face...)

If you can ignore them, it is a right fine place.

Turby the Turbosurfer