New Orleans - Not ready for Prime time - Carnival pulls the Triumph

Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default New Orleans - Not ready for Prime time - Carnival pulls the Triumph

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , George Leppla
wrote:

And I really am going to let this go now. Really. There are far more
important things to discuss like Brittany Spears haircut or
Anna-Nichole's
baby.

Thank you for the first hand report of your tour of New Orleans. I know
several residents of New Orleans who have reported the same about the
situation there. The situation is a disgrace and it is a shame that
some don't comprehend that when there are great natural disasters it
the nation that has to come together and marshall its resources to
rebuild and provide aid and relief, led by the national government. One
of the reasons for the existence of the national government is to
promote the general welfare of the people of the United States.

Careful Charles, Mark might call you a liberal....

General welfare of the people of the US.... what a UNIQUE thought. Wonder
how the states and locals are supposed to handle that???

--Tom

Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
news:45db97ff$0$28149What happened to

Perhaps they could fly Naglin 1/2 way to an aircraft carrier.

Or have him walk the plank while the ship was at sea.
Why the people there turned around and voted him again amazes me!

--Jean

Actually it is quite possible that his reelection was based on folks not
living in NO and who do not intend to return there.

There were several large billboards from his campaign around Houston.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
knast

On Feb 20, 4:39 pm, "clint" wrote:
Cheney's got the cash in his home safe!"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

. net...

Answered Inline:
"MarkT" wrote in message

What has happened in NOLA, aside from the debate of whether or not it
should be rebuilt, falls squarely on the shoulders of its mayor and the
governor. They fiddled while the hurricane hit, and they have obstructed
the rebuilding efforts at every turn with endless new rules and
regulations. The state and city governments are still sitting on millions
of federal dollars that have not been spent. Shame on them.

BINGO! Mark!
What happened to all the money that was collected from the private sector
for the victims of Katrina? Our church alone collected $13,000 and that is
not even counting all the other churches in the city, state and all the
rest of the country...where did that all end up? Too bad that bad news
makes the headlines but not the good...typical of today's media.
When something catastrophic happens, the people of the city, county and of
that state work together to take care of it..
Sometmes, as this time, it was too catastrophic and outside help was
needed and given.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ng_complete_as

What is amusing is the statement in the above article made by Louisiana
Gov. Blanco.

QUOTE:
Despite the bitter disputes, Blanco declared the restoration project an
"unqualified success," and invited the estimated 200,000 New Orleanians
who still reside outside the city to return. "We've done our best to
ensure the city is as well off as it was before Katrina hit," Blanco said.
"It's all back-the same abandoned cars, the broken bottles, the spent
shotgun shells, the rat colonies, even the used diapers on the front
lawns. People of New Orleans, welcome home."
UNQUOTE:

What a thing of the state's own governor to say !

I, too, would like to know what happened to all the donations made. We
know that Red Cross money just goes in the pot, not to specific things.
But what about the money raised by the two ex-Prez? Also, a lot of good
work is being done in MS and AL where the local governments have been
much more cooperative.

More money unaccounted for! Maybe we should look for it in places as
below!
http://www.diggersrealm.com/mt/archives/001969.html

http://www.wdsu.com/news/6151733/det...ss=no&psp=news

Although we have always found the black people of New Orleans very
friendly and outgoing when we have visited there, I'm afraid that Mayor
Nagin will need the help of all colors to make New Orleans prosper.
As the city began to rebuild, his racial attack about the Mexican
immigrants who came as laborers to work, did not help.

What also has happened is that the sensible people who left NOLA have
discovered it is cleaner and safer to live elsewhere, and many of them
have put down new roots in other communities. Good for them.

Of the ones that came to San Antonio and there were many...(I was involved
working in one of the nearby shelters), the ones who cared about making
something of themselves were absorbed into the community, got jobs and and
moved out of the free apartments provided for them and are doing well on
their own with no desire to move back to New Orleans...Many moved to
different parts of the state and country where they had relatives and took
up residence...and quite a few would not look for employment, were content
just living in the shelters, would not leave the shelters until they were
given a deadline and ultimatum that they must. Some of those ended up
taking (nice for for stealing) additional packages of supplies give to
each one leaving the shelter..Every so often, you hear on the news that
one of them was arrested for some crime committed here..

Some of the money received:
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/br...21224923.shtml

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=31950

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=32129

Weren't there something like 27 murders in NOLA since Jan 1? It never
was a safe city, and now it is a dangerous little town.

That I'm not sure about , but corruption is well known of in New Orleans
as well as the state..

Personally, I have no intention of ever going there again. Once was
enough. It was dirty, decadent and dangerous then, and more so now.

Depite its faults, I love New Orleans...its friendliness, wonderful food,
music and all its history.
I plan to go there again and hope that its residents make wiser choices
when it come to electing their officials; as only then will things
improve...the people have to care enough to pick themselves up and make
things happen, they just can't depend on never ending handouts...I don't
mean to sound heartless and I'm not, but I have seen those who really care
and are
responsible enough to rise above their tragedies and become productive
citizens and those that expect things given to them right here in shelters
after Katrina.
To stay away only hurts the people who care and are trying to rebuild the
city.

--Jean

Mark T - Hide quoted text -

I do believe that New Orleans has a lot to offer. You people that
like to eat shrimp forget it if you don't rebuild New Orleans. Most
of the oil comes thru the port of NO and most rigs are off our coast
too. I took the Nor. Sun 3 weeks ago out of NO and she was sold out.
It is a beautiful city and I agree the corruption is horrible in
Louisiana but send some honest politician if there is one to cleans up
this mess. I am a transplanted yankee moved to Louisiana 30 years ago.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

knast wrote:

On Feb 20, 4:39 pm, "clint" wrote:

Cheney's got the cash in his home safe!"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

y.net...

Answered Inline:
"MarkT" wrote in message

[...]

Well, there are a few other places along the Gulf coast that handle
shrimp. There is even an occasional one that takes oil. Now the
farmers in the Midwest might have some trouble with grain shipments.
Hey! Maybe there is a use for the TennTom after all.

Old February 24th, 2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

"MarkT" wrote in message

What has happened in NOLA, aside from the debate of whether or not it
should be rebuilt, falls squarely on the shoulders of its mayor and the
governor. They fiddled while the hurricane hit, and they have obstructed
the rebuilding efforts at every turn with endless new rules and
regulations. The state and city governments are still sitting on

millions
of federal dollars that have not been spent. Shame on them.

snipped........................................... .

Any rebuilding for NOLA is the responsibility of local and state government
with requested assistance from the Feds. It is not the responsibility of the
Federal Government.
NOLA was a hellhole before the hurricane and will be one for a longtime
afterwards. No wonder the mayor and governer is asking the people to "return
home". The mayors of Houston and Dallas must have called them and begged
them to take their people back. Since people left NOLA and found homes in
Houston and Dallas, the crime rate in these two cities has gone up and up
and up. Nothing but criminals and social misfits from NOLA and a lot more
remain in NOLA. Look at all of the murders in just the first month of the
new year. NOLA will continue to be a **** poor place to call home.
I'd suggest that they move the people out and bulldoze the damn place and
plant sawgrass and vegatation. Turn the area back into wetlands and if they
want to rebuild, do so about 400 miles to the north.
Quit wasting federal money on this hellhole in the south.

JP