Salem MA

Old September 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MizzGail

Default Salem MA

We are going to Salem the end of April 2008.
Any ideas for unique places to stay? This is our anniversary, so I
would like it to be romantic, but my husband wants a haunted hotel.
Things to do that are off the beaten path?
Would appreciate information on the old stand-bys too.
How far are the main attractions from the waterfront?

Tanks!

Old September 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

doesnt the hawthorne hotel downtown have a haunted elevator?

I remeber staying there after a gratefuld ead show in boston....

someone was telling us the story, but we were all dosed and it was
just a little too scary to be thinking about sharing an elevator with
the dead...lol

Chuck

Old September 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MLD

"MizzGail" wrote in message
ups.com...
We are going to Salem the end of April 2008.
Any ideas for unique places to stay? This is our anniversary, so I
would like it to be romantic, but my husband wants a haunted hotel.
Things to do that are off the beaten path?
Would appreciate information on the old stand-bys too.
How far are the main attractions from the waterfront?

Tanks!

Anniversary in Salem!!!! I hope you're making other plans because after one
day of wandering around you'll be looking for something else to do. There
is train service to Boston close by (near the courthouse) and a number of
other interesting places to visit. In any case, don't plan on driving into
Boston
Everything is close to the water--in fact its hard to get away from the
ocean there and in the other surrounding areas
Since you didn't say where you're coming from and what you'd like to see
it's hard to give any suggestions.
MLD

Old September 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MizzGail

On Sep 16, 2:56 pm, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:
"MizzGail" wrote in message
ups.com...

We are going to Salem the end of April 2008.
Any ideas for unique places to stay? This is our anniversary, so I
would like it to be romantic, but my husband wants a haunted hotel.
Things to do that are off the beaten path?
Would appreciate information on the old stand-bys too.
How far are the main attractions from the waterfront?
Tanks!

For haunting you might try Fall River. I have a memory that the Borden
house is a B&B. Surely there are some ghosts about.

HMMM.. that could be interesting. Looks like that Most Haunted show
visited but couldn't find any ghosts. We stayed at a place in
Gettysburg that was supposed to be haunted too, but didn't see any
ghosts there.

Old September 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MizzGail

On Sep 16, 2:50 pm, "MLD" wrote:
"MizzGail" wrote in message

ups.com... We are going to Salem the end of April 2008.
[...]

LOL - yea, we like to do "different" things for an anniversary trip.
Last year we went to the classic car museum in Norwich, NY. Great
place if you are into cars!
We are coming from Central NY and are looking for historical stuff.
I'll search the surrounding areas too.

Old September 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"MizzGail" wrote in message
ups.com...
We are going to Salem the end of April 2008.
Any ideas for unique places to stay? This is our anniversary, so I
would like it to be romantic, but my husband wants a haunted hotel.
Things to do that are off the beaten path?
Would appreciate information on the old stand-bys too.
How far are the main attractions from the waterfront?

Thanks!

http://www.northofboston.org/visitor/visitor.php has lots of info

Old September 17th, 2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Also

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...6MQZlD0Zd4FmoL

but note - at the bottom of Yahoo page it mentions "nearby towns" - the
mileage is VERY wrong so ignore that info

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..