International Driver's License

Old September 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default International Driver's License

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:14:27 +0200, Piero
wrote:

nightjar cpb@ ha scritto:

"Frank Hucklenbroich" wrote in message
Exactly. And once your local licence is written in english it should be
not
problem to use you local licence only, as police-men or car-rental-staff
can read it....

In France? The car rental staff, yes. Police, probably not

Normally, the problem is not the language, but the alphabet.
International Driving License is compulsory on countries with different
alphabets (Japan, China, Thailand, Russia...).
I'm Italian.

I beleive Finland recognizes drivers licenses so long as they use
the Roman alphabet.

All Italian official web pages say I need an International permit to
drive in USA, but USA official sites say is not needed, and I never
carry one with me, without problems at all.

The requirement on Italy's part seems to have been quite recently
invoked.

Old September 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

nightjar cpb@ wrote:

For trips of less than 90 days, you can drive in France on a valid US
driving licence. An international driving permit, or other translation of
your licence, is recommended, but not required. Personally, were my licence
not already translated - it is an EU licence - I would carry a translation.
It is cheap and it would be foolish to assume that a French police traffic
officer is going to be able to read English. While the chances are that you
won't need the translation, if you do get stopped for any reason, not having
one could cause needless delays.

It is easy enough to figure out the main information like name, address,
date of birth and address. The tricker part is the class of licence.
Most jurisdictions have very classes of licences for motorcycles, buses,
large trucks and trucks with trailers, and the standards are not always
the same, but most travellers are just driving cars so that is not much
of an issue.
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge17

hahaha funny martin !

wrote:

nightjar cpb@ ha scritto:

[...]

It was in rental car conditions the last time we had this discussion some
years
ago.
--

Martin

Old September 19th, 2009, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"Frank Hucklenbroich" wrote in message
.. .
I would still assume that they can tell from your english licence if its
for a truck or a motorbike. There are so many British driving to or
through
France, that the average policemen should now a few basisc about licences
in english....

You seem to have little experience of dealing with French bureaucracy. It is
not a matter of whether they can understand the licence, but whether they
want to. Assuming they will understand English is a very good way to ensure
they will not, even if they are fluent in the language. Making a bit of
effort, like carrying a translation, will make life a lot easier.

Colin Bignell

Old September 21st, 2009, 07:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:41:41 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:53:40 +0200, "Tim C." wrote:

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:41:20 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

Then again, my German licence is a european version that already comes with
translations in the most important languages (english, french, spanish
IIRC).

My Dutch "standard EU format" driving licence only has the words "driving
licence" in around a dozen languages the rest is in Dutch.

Mine too. Except the rest is in German.

Austrian?

In this case it's the same

--
Tim C.
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:26:53 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:25:32 +0200, "Tim C." wrote:

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:41:41 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:53:40 +0200, "Tim C." wrote:

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:41:20 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
om :

Then again, my German licence is a european version that already comes with
translations in the most important languages (english, french, spanish
IIRC).

My Dutch "standard EU format" driving licence only has the words "driving
licence" in around a dozen languages the rest is in Dutch.

Mine too. Except the rest is in German.

Austrian?

In this case it's the same

Not when an Austrian policeman reads it.

I didn't know they could read.
What happens when an Austrian policeman crosses the border into Germany?
The national IQ rises in both countries.

--
Tim C.
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Tim C.:

What happens when an Austrian policeman crosses the border into Germany?
The national IQ rises in both countries.

Now, wait a minute, you.....!!!

--
Erick
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:39:54 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

Can Belgium cope with another drop in IQ?

Would anyone notice? :-P
--
Tim C.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:42:29 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 08:37:15 +0200, "Tim C." wrote:

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:39:54 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

Can Belgium cope with another drop in IQ?

Would anyone notice? :-P

Belgium hasn't been the same since my wife moved to NL. )

lol!

--
Tim C.