English invasion 'threatens Fwench language more than Nazis did'

Old January 11th, 2010, 11:29 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
John Rennie

Default English invasion 'threatens Fwench language more than Nazis did'

abelard wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:33:42 +0000, John Rennie
wrote:

abelard wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:06:40 +0000, John Rennie

Read, or in probably in your case, re-read the conversation
in the garden between Lady Catherine De Bergh and Catherine
Bennett from Pride and Prejudice. Possible the rudest most
direct intercourse in the English Language and yet so so
refined.

my knowledge of fiction is vastly limited....
i think you mean in the house...but no matter...

It was in the copse not the house but as you say no
matter..
then i have the wrong bit...perhaps you'd link the bit you mean for me

Chapter 14 Page 259

durhh....where is the rudeness
i've looked at ch 56 where sommat more like your conversation takes
place

file:///C:/Users/abelard/AppData/Local/Temp/Pride_and_Prejudice_eText.pdf
Chapter XIV
DURING DINNER, MR. BENNET scarcely spoke at all; but when the servants
were withdrawn he thought it time to have some conversation with his
guest, and therefore started a subject in which he expected him to
shine, by observing that he seemed very fortunate in his patroness.
Lady Catherine De Bourgh's attention to his wishes, and consideration
for his comfort, appeared very remarkable. Mr. Bennet could not have
chosen better. Mr. Collins was eloquent in her praise. The subject
elevated him to more than usual solemnity of manner; and with a most
important aspect he protested that “he had never in his life witnessed
such behavior in a person of rank, such affability and condescension,
as he had himself experienced from Lady Catherine. She had been
graciously pleased to approve of both the discourses which he had
already had the honor of preaching before her. She had also asked him
twice to dine at Rosings, and had sent for him only the Saturday
before, to make up her pool of quadrille in the evening. Lady
Catherine was reckoned proud by many people, he knew, but he had never
seen anything but affability in her. She had always spoken to him as
she would to any other gentleman; she made not the smallest objection
to his joining in the society of the neighborhood, nor to his leaving
the parish occasionally for a week or two to visit his relations. She
had even condescended to advise him to marry as soon as he could,
provided he chose with discretion; and had once paid him a visit in
his humble parsonage, where she had perfectly approved all the
alterations he had been making, and had even vouchsafed to suggest
some herself—some shelves in the closet upstairs.

“That is all very proper and civil, I am sure,” said Mrs. Bennet, “and
I dare say she is a very agreeable woman. It is a pity that great
ladies in general are not more like her. Does she live near you, sir?”

“The garden in which stands my humble abode is separated only by a
lane from Rosings Park, her ladyship's residence.”

“I think you said she was a widow, sir; has she any family?”

“She has one only daughter, the heiress of Rosings, and of very
extensive property.”

“Ah,” said Mrs. Bennet, shaking her head, “then she is better off than
many girls. And what sort of young lady is she? Is she handsome?”

“She is a most charming young lady indeed. Lady Catherine herself says
that, in point of true beauty, Miss De Bourgh is far superior to the
handsomest of her sex, because there is that in her features which
marks the young woman of distinguished birth. She is unfortunately of
a sickly constitution, which has prevented her making that progress in
many accomplishments which she could not otherwise have failed of, as
I am informed by the lady who superintended her education, and who
still resides with them. But she is perfectly amiable, and often
condescends to drive by my humble abode in her little phaeton and
ponies.”

“Has she been presented? I do not remember her name among the ladies
at court.”

“Her indifferent state of health unhappily prevents her being in town;
and by that means, as I told Lady Catherine herself one day, has
deprived the British court of its brightest ornament. Her ladyship
seemed pleased with the idea; and you may imagine that I am happy on
every occasion to offer those little delicate compliments which are
always acceptable to ladies. I have more than once observed to Lady
Catherine that her charming daughter seemed born to be a duchess, and
that the most elevated rank, instead of giving her consequence, would
be adorned by her. These are the kind of little things which please
her ladyship, and it is a sort of attention which I conceive myself
peculiarly bound to pay.”

“You judge very properly,” said Mr. Bennet; “and it is happy for you
that you possess the talent of flattering with delicacy. May I ask
whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the
moment, or are the result of previous study?”

“They arise chiefly from what is passing at the time; and though I
sometimes amuse myself with suggesting and arranging such little
elegant compliments as may be adapted to ordinary occasions, I always
wish to give them as unstudied an air as possible.”

Mr. Bennet's expectations were fully answered. His cousin was as
absurd as he had hoped; and he listened to him with the keenest
enjoyment, maintaining at the same time the most absolute composure of
countenance, and, except in an occasional glance at Elizabeth,
requiring no partner in his pleasure.

By tea-time, however, the dose had been enough, and Mr. Bennet was
glad to take his guest into the drawing-room again, and when tea was
over, glad to invite him to read aloud to the ladies. Mr. Collins
readily assented, and a book was produced; but on beholding it (for
everything announced it to be from a circulating library) he started
back, and, begging pardon, protested that he never read novels. Kitty
stared at him, and Lydia exclaimed. Other books were produced, and
after some deliberation he chose “Fordyce's Sermons.” Lydia gaped as
he opened the volume; and before he had, with very monotonous
solemnity, read three pages, she interrupted him with—

“Do you know, mamma, that my Uncle Philips talks of turning away
Richard? and if he does, Colonel Forster will hire him. My aunt told
me so herself on Saturday. I shall walk to Meryton to-morrow to hear
more about it, and to ask when Mr. Denny comes back from town.”

Lydia was bid by her two eldest sisters to hold her tongue; but Mr.
Collins, much offended, laid aside his book, and said:

“I have often observed how little young ladies are interested by books
of a serious stamp, though solely written for their benefit. It amazes
me, I confess; for certainly there can be nothing so advantageous to
them as instruction. But I will no longer importune my young cousin.”

Then, turning to Mr. Bennet, he offered himself as his antagonist at
backgammon. Mr. Bennet accepted the challenge, observing that he acted
very wisely in leaving the girls to their own trifling amusements.
Mrs. Bennet and her daughters apologized most civilly for Lydia's
interruption, and promised that it should not occur again, if he would
resume his book; but Mr. Collins, after assuring them that he bore his
young cousin no ill-will, and should never resent her behavior as any
affront, seated himself at another table with Mr. Bennet, and prepared
for backgammon.

I should mentioned that it was chapter 14 Volume three. It's
the last conversation between the quite dreadful Lady Catherine
De Bough and Elizabeth.
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Earl Evleth[_1_]

On 12/01/10 0:23, in article ,
"John Rennie" wrote:

Officially perhaps but 'great' goes back to the 13th century

And of course Bretagne is in France. So if Britain wishes to
also use the name it has to be Grande Bretagne.

Old January 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

"Magda" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:47:07 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Martin

arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:18:18 +0100, Magda wrote:
... On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 00:14:12 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Martin

... arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:
... ...
... ... Who? My memory isn't quite what it used to
..............zzzzzzzzzz
... ...
... ...
... ... She has that effect on people.
... Do I make guys get old? Do I give them Alzheimer's?
... You appear to send them to sleep.

Time for your 4th nap of the day, Martin?

... (I can dream...)
... Stephen already does.
... It's a good job the FF legion was closed when you
... ... tried to join.
... Indeed. He would have killed his mates the first day.
... and eaten them?

I don't know his feeding habits, sorry.

=====
It sounds much better in French, but then, everything does.

I only eat vegetarians ;-)

Old January 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Donna Evleth[_1_]

From: "Bill Bonde {Colour me colourless)"

Newsgroups: alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 20:02:05 +0000

Didn't you contest the claim that English words were disfavoured by
officialdom in the French idioma? If official documents must be "in
French", doesn't that substantially prove the original assertion
about the insular nature of the French and their Sprache? Which is
odd compared to people nearby on an island with the most open major
language in the world.

There are people in the US who are screaming because election ballots and
driver's license exams are in Spanish as well as English. The screamers
want English only.

Here is an excerpt from an article in the Seoul Times of January 12, 2010 on
the subject:

Adding ballots in languages other than English might increase the cost of
printing election materials from 15 to 40 percent. Adding bilingual poll
workers adds to the expense.

Cost is a definite concern, but some people have other strong reservations.
Some object to the very idea of ballots in languages other than English.
Some people fear that voting in Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, or whatever
second language the law might require, will result in the beginning of a
slippery rope which will Balkanize the country and lead it the same path as
Canada into a possible break up.

Donna Evleth

Old January 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Earl Evleth[_1_]

On 12/01/10 13:16, in article , "Donna
Evleth" wrote:

There are people in the US who are screaming because election ballots and
driver's license exams are in Spanish as well as English. The screamers
want English only.

There is particular complaint about bilingual in California.
In fact bilingual education has been banned by constitutional amendment in
California.

What is different is that in France, many parents would like
their children to be bilingual, they seek out private schools which
have a bilingual program, send their kids off for summer
sessions in a foreign country. English is the preferred 2nd language.

The reason for a different attitude in comparison with the American
bias against bilingualism is that of "class". People have no
desire to learn the language of those they consider to be their
social and economic inferiors. So the English speaking bourgeoisie
does not want to learn Spanish, the language of the "wetbacks".
Nor does that bourgeoisie support the encouragement of bilingualism.
For the French bourgeoisie, the idea of a bilingual child is "génial"

Bill Bonde argumentatively destroyed once more, également génial

Old January 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Bill Bonde {Colourless green ideas don't sleep furiously)

From: "Bill Bonde {Colour me colourless)"

Newsgroups: alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 20:02:05 +0000

Didn't you contest the claim that English words were disfavoured by
officialdom in the French idioma? If official documents must be "in
French", doesn't that substantially prove the original assertion
about the insular nature of the French and their Sprache? Which is
odd compared to people nearby on an island with the most open major
language in the world.

There are people in the US who are screaming because election ballots and
driver's license exams are in Spanish as well as English. The screamers
want English only.

Because the language of the United States is English. You can speak
any languages you want, and there's nothing wrong with that, but
you should know the English.

Here is an excerpt from an article in the Seoul Times of January 12, 2010 on
the subject:

Adding ballots in languages other than English might increase the cost of
printing election materials from 15 to 40 percent. Adding bilingual poll
workers adds to the expense.

Is that even possible? Who knows what '2nd' language someone might
want?

Cost is a definite concern, but some people have other strong reservations.
Some object to the very idea of ballots in languages other than English.
Some people fear that voting in Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, or whatever
second language the law might require, will result in the beginning of a
slippery rope which will Balkanize the country and lead it the same path as
Canada into a possible break up.

Is that the same fear that the French feel? I take what the French
are doing as becoming angry that any purity issues in their
language. But you don't have to go far to hear people make fun of
anyone who might try to write or speak in French. I was told in
this very newsgroup to try to write in French because the poster
wanted a laugh. Apparently they couldn't find enough laughs in what
I write in English.

--
"Gonna take a sedimental journey", what Old Man River actually
said.
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
nightjar

PJ O'Donovan wrote:
English invasion 'threatens Fwench language more than Nazis did'

Sun Jan 10, 2010 03:27 AM

"The invasion of English words poses more of a "grave threat" to
French national identity than the imposition of German under the Nazi
occupation, according to a group of self-styled guardians of the
French language...."

The French have been griping about franglaise for at least half a century.

Colin Bignell