Has anyone rented a Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter passenger van?

Old November 13th, 2006, 05:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carthell

Default Has anyone rented a Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter passenger van?

I'm planning a family trip to New York City early next year, and I've
decided to rent a passenger van that we'll take turns driving. The
Sprinter looks like the perfect vehicle to make the trip, namely
because of the MPG numbers and comfort. I can't seem to find a rental
place in Maryland that has a van in its fleet avalable to the general
public without an "attached" driver.

Has anyone successfully been able to rent the vehicle? For those
residing in Maryland, were you able to find a place that could rent to
you?

-d

Old November 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Carthell wrote:
I'm planning a family trip to New York City early next year, and I've
decided to rent a passenger van that we'll take turns driving. The
Sprinter looks like the perfect vehicle to make the trip, namely
because of the MPG numbers and comfort. I can't seem to find a rental
place in Maryland that has a van in its fleet avalable to the general
public without an "attached" driver.

Has anyone successfully been able to rent the vehicle? For those
residing in Maryland, were you able to find a place that could rent to
you?

Is that one of those larger stretch vans? If so, be careful.

"...the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic
Safety Administraton (NHTSA), issued a warning to users of 15-passenger
vans, as well as extended 12-passenger vans, because of an increased
rollover risk under certain conditions. Similar warnings were issued in
2001 and 2002. These warnings were reissued by NHTSA in May of 2006...."

http://www.vehicle-injuries.com/van-safety.htm

Old November 13th, 2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera

I think the vans in that safety warning were mostly the longest ones
based on traditional USAmerican pickup trucks. This feat is usually
achieved by adding a section onto the back. I think (this is a bit
speculative though not completely uninformed) that the rated passenger
capacity was usually selected to avoid a "bus" classification, which
would put them into more expensive and more scrutinized territory for
both builder and operator.

See for instance
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...es/15PassVans/

I've not seen a Sprinter of those proportions (8-10 passengers looks
like the biggest configuration advertised, though there is a long
wheelbase version with an extended rear) and AFAIK it has electronic
stability control now.

I still would be careful about disproportionate weight cantilevered
past an axle and would drive conservatively when pushing its capacity
and take it easy while learning the new vehicle -- good advice with any
model!

That havigng been said, I don't know who would rent one. You might try
an RV rental place, since it has gained some popularity as the basis
for a pocket RV. There are also rental places with a specialty in
trucks and vans, though whether they'd have one in a pleasant passenger
configuration is another question.

Finding a parking space in tourist areas of built-up Eastern cities is
up to you!

Cheers,
--Joe

Old November 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carthell

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
I've not seen a Sprinter of those proportions (8-10 passengers looks
like the biggest configuration advertised, though there is a long
wheelbase version with an extended rear) and AFAIK it has electronic
stability control now.

Dodge.com shows that the van has three lengths: 197", 225", and 263".
The 2500 series comes standard with a ESP system.

I still would be careful about disproportionate weight cantilevered
past an axle and would drive conservatively when pushing its capacity
and take it easy while learning the new vehicle -- good advice with any
model!

I've driven 14'-capacity U-Hauls, so I know how dicey it is to drive a
heavy truck.

That havigng been said, I don't know who would rent one. [Try a RV.]

An RV...I hope not. Given the same dimensions lengthwise, a RV has
1/3-1/2 the seating capacity of the same vehicle configured to carry
passengers only. It'll be tougher to maneuver in New York, too. I'll
look into that as a last resort.

Finding a parking space in tourist areas of built-up Eastern cities is
up to you!

Indeed.

Geez, I hope it isn't too hard to find a rental Sprinter. (I always
seem to have a need for products or services that are hard to find in
my area.)

-d

Old November 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Carthell wrote:
I'm planning a family trip to New York City early next year, and I've
decided to rent a passenger van that we'll take turns driving. The
Sprinter looks like the perfect vehicle to make the trip, namely
because of the MPG numbers and comfort. I can't seem to find a rental
place in Maryland that has a van in its fleet avalable to the general
public without an "attached" driver.

Has anyone successfully been able to rent the vehicle? For those
residing in Maryland, were you able to find a place that could rent to
you?

These are popular rentals in Europe and Australia (the Sprinter is a
Mercedes) but in the U.S. they are not readily available in the
passenger version. It's become a popular cargo van, and as a platform
for RV conversions.

Parking that van in NYC would certainly be a challenge.
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I tooled around manhattan one time in one of those things and had a
blast.....get the insurance and then dont let anyone cut you off in
trafic, you will get respect from just about everyone but truckers....

problem is, you are technically supposed to have a different class of
liscence than most of us have....I was asked to produce one at the GW
coming back in nyc and of course did not have it....he let us in
anyways, just saying to be careful because it is generally watched for
by NYC city cops while looking for "illegal" cab services.....

Chuck

Old November 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

In Maryland, my non-commercial license allows me to drive many types of
vehicle combinations up to 26,000 lbs gross weight, no special
additional permission required. Thanks for the heads-up.

It isnt the weight of the vehicle, it is the # of occupants......my
mass liscence is the same as your maryland and while I can drive a big
ole monster U-Haul without a problem, I cant drive a 14 passenger
van,legally, in or around NYC apparently....

Chuck