Northwest Air Rewards Question

Old March 27th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Default Northwest Air Rewards Question

My wife and I have @250,000 miles on Northwest Airlines. Wanted to use
them for upgrade to Europe this summer but have been told that there
are no flights available for upgrade to Amsterdam during our time
frame. (week of June 10) Is it normal for these to be blocked out
during this time, should we have made the reservations earlier or are
these miles just a waste of time? We both have very busy schedules
which prevent flight at the last minute or middle of the week travel.
Any info anyone can give us will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Miguel Cruz

I don't know about upgrades, but my son and his wife were stuck last
summer in Oslo, which to put it mildly is not inexpensive, and I was
able to use NW miles immediately to get them tickets back the next
day. And that was at the height of the high season, so they are good.

Was that at standard redemption levels or "rule-buster" or whatever they
call it?

I just tried to use NW miles to book a flight from Amsterdam to USA and back
and they weren't having any of it unless I spent a huge amount of extra
miles. Though with those things it's hard to igure out whether it's the
origination point, or the destination, or something else, that's actually
causing the problem.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Palestine

Old March 28th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Sing Sing

Tom, trying to put it in a simple way, what they do is they will have one or
two seat available for advance booking. Then when the travel date comes,
they will look at the actual sales they get, if there is still available
seat, then they will release the seat for milage upgrade or milage redeem.
Look at it this way, if they can sell a seat for a price, they will do it.
When closer the day, their computer will figure that to sell all the
reminding seat is unlikely, then they will release it.

I am from HK and I am doing the same thing: Upgrade to US. The experience I
have is, if I am willing to travel on Economy, then I will buy the ticket,
when closer the date and upgrade available, then I will use my milage to do
that.

Sing Sing

groups.com...

Old March 28th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Robert Cowen

Tom:

NW has the poorest reputation when it comes to finding free seats:
http://www.webflyer.com/programs/award_upgrade_index/

I suggest you keep trying but your best chance is checking directly with
their partner airlines.

Bob Cowen
The Internet Travel Guru (TM)
www.InternetTravelTips.com

ups.com...

Old March 28th, 2005, 11:49 PM

Bob, thanks for the tips. I did not know that we could do that. I
will give that a try.

Tom