A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Other Travel Groups » Travel - anything else not covered
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

food in Mexico

Old February 28th, 2009, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.misc
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default food in Mexico

Someone told me it can take about 3 days to get used to food in Mexico
when you're coming from the U.S.

Anyone know why this is?
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
Hatunen
external usenet poster

Default food in Mexico

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:45:22 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Someone told me it can take about 3 days to get used to food in Mexico
when you're coming from the U.S.

Anyone know why this is?

I've been going to Mexico from time to time since about 1966 and
never had a problem, even on one-day jaunts across the border.
But our guts have little tiney beasties in them which normally do
no harm. It could be that the slightly different strain of these
beasties down below the border will take a few days for your gut
to adjust to. And, of course, water supplies down there aren't
always as pure as the ones w're used to in the USA, so drinking
from the tap or a drinking fountain might not be wise. And salads
can be problemmatic.

In the parts of Mexico I visit, many hotels have a private, safe,
water supply; ask the management.

As it happens, anytime you go from one place to another it might
tke a few days for your stomach to adjust. Several decades ago
there used to be a somewhat ironic TV commercial showing a
Hispanic-looking gentleman with a Spanich accent getting off an
airliner and holding up a Pepto-Bismol bottle (or something like
it) and commenting that whenever he visits America he takes his
Pepto.

--
************* DAVE HATUNEN ) *************
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow *
* My typos & mispellings are intentional copyright traps *
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
Dymphna[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default food in Mexico

I think that would depend on the person. There were dishes I liked right
away and some - well. All cultures are different.

When it comes to the water, some of the hotels and restaurants have
filter systems so you can drink it. But do not drink straight out of a
tap if you don't know. I also would check to make sure the bottled
water, if you are purchasing it from a street vendor, has not been
refilled. The revenge is real and you don't want it!

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
LucKl
external usenet poster

Default Food in Mexico

Don't eat raw vegetables or fruit unless peeled. Stick to peeled and
cooked food and you'll be OK. Maybe the spicyness can bother you a bit.

--
LucKl
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Old September 27th, 2009, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
Johnn
external usenet poster

Default Food in Mexico

Don't eat raw vegetables or fruit unless peeled. Stick to peeled and
cooked food and you'll be OK. Maybe the spicyness can bother you a bit.

Fine if you don't care about nutrition. Health begins with raw, fresh food. People get sick in other countries because their body
has not developed an immunity to new bacteria/viruses. The smart thing is to stop all intake of food (no medicines/drugs!), and
fast for a day or 2. That's usually all it takes. Granted, this is not ideal on a vacation but its the only way to develop an
immunity to those different bacteria/viruses. That should be the last time you get sick once you have an immunity. You can't
possibly avoid the bacteria/viruses by avoiding raw vegetables. Its everywhere, on everything you touch. Are you going to walk
around in a bubble? Better to eat the freshest food possible to keep your immune system as high as possible all the time. And
exercise intensely when you're away. Heavy cardio is the best way of eliminating jet lag! Next time you feel weary at the beach,
and its before breakfast, take a sprint down the beach, especially in soft sand which can be particularly exhausting. Afterwards
you'll feel refreshed in a new way. Just push through the heat. The best way to adjust to a new climate is to exercise heavily in
that precise climate. Air conditioning is a fool's way to comfort. If you paid to go to the tropics, don't wuss out with air
conditioning.

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM

First recorded activity by TravelBanter: Oct 2009

Mexico food is reason enough to travel to the lovely land down south, and the street food is especially fine. Check out some food from Mexico mercados, street stands and restaurants, and start planning your Mexico travel to git you some
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM

This is usually a light, late meal in Mexico. Sushi is also becoming a very popular food with the Mexicans living in Guadalajara
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:03 AM

i like to eat hot maxican burger with spicy chilly grills it a cool dish over here
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Health begins with raw, fresh food. People get sick in other countries because their body
has not developed an immunity to new bacteria/viruses. The smart thing is to stop all intake of food (no medicines/drugs!), and
fast for a day or 2. That's usually all it takes. Granted, this is not ideal on a vacation but its the only way to develop an
immunity to those different bacteria/viruses. That should be the last time you get sick once you have an immunity. You can't
possibly avoid the bacteria/viruses by avoiding raw vegetables. Its everywhere, on everything you touch. Are you going to walk
around in a bubble? Better to eat the freshest food possible to keep your immune system as high as possible all the time. And
exercise intensely when you're away. Heavy cardio is the best way of eliminating jet lag! Next time you feel weary at the beach,
and its before breakfast, take a sprint down the beach, especially in soft sand which can be particularly exhausting. Afterwards
you'll feel refreshed in a new way. Just push through the heat. The best way to adjust to a new climate is to exercise heavily in
that precise climate. Air conditioning is a fool's way to comfort. If you paid to go to the tropics, don't wuss out with air
conditioning.[/quote]

I completely agree. So many people advise against eating raw vegetables and things like that in Mexico, but if you are in a decent restaurant then you shouldn't have to worry. It's true, we can't walk around in a bubble afraid of everything- there is bacteria every, not just in mexican food! I think lots of people go to mexico already afraid of getting sick from everything they've heard, and this just makes things worse. It does take some adjustment to get used to the food, but this depends on each individual and their systems. The food in mexico is excellent, and not something to be missed out on because one is scared!
Old November 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM

First recorded activity by TravelBanter: Nov 2009

i totally agree with you liliana you are saying the immunity is different in every one