Alaska Cruise

Old October 29th, 2011, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

Default Alaska Cruise

On Oct 28, 9:28*pm, Bill wrote:
On 10/28/2011 10:25 AM, wrote:

For Alaska the cruise line I would recommend would be Holland
American. *They have two week cruises. *Carnival only has 7 day
cruises and the longest Princess ones are 10 days.

That's really only beneficial if you just want to stay on the ship the
whole way and go round trip back to Vancouver (or is it Seattle?).
You're better off doing a cruisetour and taking a one week cruise
combined with 4-7 days on land, so you can see Denali and other sites
the ship can't get to.

First, we are based in Toronto Canada. Vancouver/Seattle would not be
a problem.

Second, can we do a cruise-tour within our budget? Including air-
fare?

If I am missing a package please reply. I have a good travel agent,
but 90% plus of his business is in the warmer climates. So I am
looking for second opinions.
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

On Oct 28, 11:46*pm, wrote:

Holland American does go from Seattle to Seattle, but they also go to
Glacier Bay which some other lines do not and they also have cruise
tours if someone wanted to do that.

My impression is Holland is for older folks (mind you we are both in
our fifties), and considering how un-adventurous our older friends are
we don't want to find ourselves stuck on a boat (that`s ship to the
captain) full of old fuggies.
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

On Oct 29, 10:21*am, Tom K wrote:

And one nice thing they do, at least on their smaller ships, is open up
the bow of the ship for passengers to view the glaciers in Glacier Bay.
* On many other cruise line ships, that area has a lot of mechanical
equipment so the area is closed off to passengers.

Okay, that is news to me. Nice to know such. I hate being on one
side of the ship and later find out I missed a sight that was on the
other side.
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

On Oct 28, 10:25*am, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:23:18 -0700 (PDT), Earl_Colby_Pottinger

wrote:
My friend and I booked a 2 week Caribbean cruise with Carnival over
three years ago, every year something has come up in the winter months
causing us to delay it to next winter. *Now it looks like there will
be a problem this year too.

Carnival's Alaska trips don't have the same appeals as some of the
other cruise lines (Princess is the one we are looking at now). *Does
anyone have reasons to recommend any other lines for the months Jan,
Feb?

We would like to budget less than $2800 per person.

Thanks for any suggestions, even if it is just to stay with Princess.

If you want to go to Alaska, you won't be able to go in Jan-Feb.
That's a spring-summer destination (April to September). *There is a
cruise on Crystal (very very expensive) that starts in Australia in
February and gets to Alaska in April but it isn't really in Alaska in
Jan/Feb.. *

For Alaska the cruise line I would recommend would be Holland
American. *They have two week cruises. *Carnival only has 7 day
cruises and the longest Princess ones are 10 days. *A possible winter
equivalent is a 13 day Fred Olsen cruise to Norway in *late February.

In the Jan Feb time frame if you wanted to do a two week cruise that
was less than $2800 a person (I'm considering that you need some time
to get to some of these) there is:
8 day Transatlantic on Cunard from Europe,
an 8 day cruise out of Singapore on RCI,
9-14 day cruises in Australia on RCI, Holland American, and Princess,
14 day cruises to Hawaii on Princess, HAL, Carnival or Cunard
a 12 day trip to the Canary Islands on RCI,
a large number of 9 to 11 day Med cruises on NCL or RCI,
11 or 14 day cruises on Celebrity or HAL out of Ft. Lauderdale or San
Diego to Mexico,
some *11 day cruises to the Middle East on RCI,
a couple of 10 or 11 day cruises on Princess to Tahiti,
and of course many cruises to the Caribbean and South America and
through the Panama Canal.

Yes, a transatlantic is also possible, I like the idea but she does
not unless we had more money to stay in Europe for a week or two (and
she prefers two).
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K[_3_]

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 09:42:54 -0700 (PDT), Earl_Colby_Pottinger wrote:

On Oct 29, 10:21*am, Tom K wrote:

And one nice thing they do, at least on their smaller ships, is open up
the bow of the ship for passengers to view the glaciers in Glacier Bay.
* On many other cruise line ships, that area has a lot of mechanical
equipment so the area is closed off to passengers.

Okay, that is news to me. Nice to know such. I hate being on one
side of the ship and later find out I missed a sight that was on the
other side.

I have the same feeling when Charles is cornholing my ass.

--Tom
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 10/29/2011 12:38 PM, Earl_Colby_Pottinger wrote:

First, we are based in Toronto Canada. Vancouver/Seattle would not be
a problem.

Second, can we do a cruise-tour within our budget? Including air-
fare?

If I am missing a package please reply. I have a good travel agent,
but 90% plus of his business is in the warmer climates. So I am
looking for second opinions.

You can do an 11 night Cruisetour for $1500 or less if you look for
deals (we paid $1200 last year for the 11 night on HAL with the long
Denali tour and 2 nights there). With airfare I assume it would be $2000
(or less). Longer tours obviously cost more. You will be flying into or
out of Alaska with a Cruisetour, so that will make it more expensive,
but we paid $600 or so for NY-SEA-FAI-NY last year. You will need to
factor in excursions, which tend to be expensive in Alaska, especially
if you want to do something like a helicopter tour.

My impression is Holland is for older folks (mind you we are both in
our fifties), and considering how un-adventurous our older friends are
we don't want to find ourselves stuck on a boat (that`s ship to the
captain) full of old fuggies.

HAL is not that bad in Alaska in terms of age. They've been marketing to
families to do multi-generation trips so you get a reasonable mix of
people. There were not as many walkers as you'd expect to see on HAL.

Bill
Old October 29th, 2011, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

On Oct 29, 4:28*pm, Bill wrote:
On 10/29/2011 12:38 PM, Earl_Colby_Pottinger wrote:

HAL is not that bad in Alaska in terms of age. They've been marketing to
families to do multi-generation trips so you get a reasonable mix of
people. There were not as many walkers as you'd expect to see on HAL.

I just had this impression from past posts and the fact that when our
ship shared a pier with an Holland ship the first thing we saw from
our balcony after docking was all the people taking their morning walk
around the walkway on the Holland ship.

I guess on the plus side all these older people were up first thing in
the morning getting their muscles moving, this is more than what I can
say about my older friends who think we are crazy to go camping and
first thing we doing in the morning is to walk some trails or go canoe/
kayaking. Maybe I am the one who needs to be more flexible in my
choice of ships.
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 09:33:11 -0700 (PDT), Earl_Colby_Pottinger
wrote:

On Oct 25, 8:09*pm, Brian wrote:

Are there cruises to Alaska in the winter?

Yes, I am dumb, dumb, dumb. My mind was too much on the Caribbean
cruise, stupid me.

Yes, I want to cruise during the summer months, I am *NOT* a winter
person at all.

Sorry, about the dumb dates.

We took a cruise on Celebrity and enjoyed it. We were with a group and
so didn't have a say in the schedule. While we enjoyed it, the cruise
was 7 days round trip from Vancouver. If we did it again, I would want
a cruise that only went one way and then take another form of
transportation the other way.
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:26:09 +0100, "Peterw"
wrote:

Isn't there a time of the year when Alaska is infested with flies??

Summer G