3 Guys in San Francisco - Two weeks in april

Old December 19th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Tim

Default 3 Guys in San Francisco - Two weeks in april

Hi

We are three English guys who will be staying in San Fransisco for two weeks
next year

Have booked a flight but now need to find some accomadation

We need something on a budget so were considering the Adante Hotel
on Geary Street

http://reservations.californiahotels...11273639O.html

Does anyone have any information on this place or other reccomendations?

Will be posting again for ideas on places to visit but for now we would like
to sort out somwhere to stay :-)

Thanks for any help

Tim

Old December 19th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Stephen Clark

. uk...

It appears to have good feedabck on www.tripadvisor.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html

Old December 19th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Susan Wachob

Hi Tim-

I don't know that hotel but it kind of depends on what you're looking
for. That particular block is in a marginal area. Two blocks away is
Union Square with fancy stores and lots of tourist amenities (stores,
cable car turnaround, etc) and many tourists do stay there. Very
convenient. You're actually a block from the theatre district.

However, that area changes very quickly from as described above to an
area full of street people and crime. But that stays pretty much a block
or two away. (Funny how neighborhoods don't especially bleed into one
another here.) Mostly what you need to do is just not walk south. North,
east or west is fine and that's what a lot of visitors do.

The area is full of older, tourist quality hotels. So as I said, it
depends on what you're looking for. For three guys, I wouldn't let the
neighborhood be a problem at all- it's very convenient. But that's me.
You have to decide for you.

The other neighborhod that's likely to have similar, lower rates is on
Lombard Street. That's near the Golden Gate Bridge, Marin, Sausalito,
the way to the wine country, Muir woods. It also has good bus
transportation (and the motels will have on site parking if you have a
car). However, it's well away from the core of the city, nightlife, etc.
Without a car, I'd definitely pick the first location.

As I said, though, I don't know that specific hotel.

In any case- enjoy your trip. This truly is a marvelous place. I've
lived here since 1968 and I never tire of it.

Susan

Old December 20th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Icono Clast

Tim wrote:
other reccomendations?

If the hotel you mentioned (without giving its location) was El Cortez
on the 500-block of Geary Street, it's quite nice and very well located.
A former gin mill across the street has been turned into a quite
successful Yuppie dive.

places to visit

San Francisco's Don't Miss Sights are at
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html at the site at Right in
the sig. Also at that site you can find information on where to eat and
sleep: http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/SleepEat.html

The site at Left in the sig will tell you where to go to dance. In
addition to dances, the "Special Events" page
http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html#t includes where to go to
hear good jazz.
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:34 PM
Tim

Thank you all for your replies - especially yours Susan, very helpful -
Icono Clast, no that's not the one, a little out of our league price wise
I'm afraid :-( may well check out the wine bar though !!

One thing concerns me slightly - and that's the booking in situation :-(

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...alifornia.html

We will be getting into the airport about 4PM so I guess if all goes well we
will be at the hotel say 5:00 ish after a direct flight from the UK so no
doubt we will be slightly frazzled - would hate to fall foul of any booking
in stupidity

I will try and contact the hotel directly to see what the situation is - but
just wondered if anyone has any local knowledge/advice with regards to this
type of thing

Thanks again

Tim

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
news:1103545612.f9c4d8d8c9a19b1cba03cac35b8fc9f1@t eranews...

Old December 21st, 2004, 09:39 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Tim wrote:

One thing concerns me slightly - and that's the booking in situation :-(

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...alifornia.html

We will be getting into the airport about 4PM so I guess if all goes well we
will be at the hotel say 5:00 ish after a direct flight from the UK so no
doubt we will be slightly frazzled - would hate to fall foul of any booking
in stupidity

Sinc that posting discusses the hotel's unwillingness to let anyone
check in before 3:00 p.m., you should be fine in that regard. However,
it sounds as though you won't be able to leave your bags at the hotel
after checkout if you want to wander around SF on the day of your
departure. Some of the other comments in that posting also don't make
the place sound very desirable. (I'd also make sure they'll hold the
room if you arrive late. They sound rather persnickety.)

Patty

Old December 22nd, 2004, 11:52 AM
Pan

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:34:12 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

[snip]
We will be getting into the airport about 4PM so I guess if all goes well we
will be at the hotel say 5:00 ish after a direct flight from the UK

[snip]

That sounds a little optimistic, though not impossible. If you have
checked baggage, you will have to wait for that, and then you have to
go through Customs and Immigration. Finally, you have to get to SF
from the airport.

Enjoy SF. It's a beautiful location and a pleasant city.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.