Effect of very long flights

Old April 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

Default Effect of very long flights - Water supplies

wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:17:21 -0400, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "William Black"
wrote:

Besides, have you ever been on a flight where the flight attendant
didn't
bring water when asked?

Maybe he believes bottled water is somehow better then regular tap
water, or whatever the airline serves...

Since there is no supply of 'tap' water on a plane all I have seen staff
serve is bottled water. Now if you want to have fun discussing purified
bottled water vs bottled spring water we could probably have fun.

Been a long time since I flew trans-Atlantic on a 747, but either on
Pan-Am or TWA, there were water taps sort of like the ones on a water
cooler to fill a glass with. These were by the galleys midships and
had some paper cups in a dispenser or you could bring a plastic cup or
even a bottle (this was back around '79 when water in bottles was not
as common in the U.S. as now.) This was very handy on the rather long
fligjht and gave one a decent reason to get up and make walabout to
stretch one's legs and rehydrate.

The problem with this is that several years ago at least one study confirmed
that there were problems with contaminated drinking water in the holding
tanks on airplanes. I'd be afraid to drink from any drinking water faucet
on an airplane even today. That's one reason the airlines hand out bottled
water.

On recent flights to/from Europe on a Lufthansa Airbus 340, they came
by at least every hour or so wtih drinks/juice etc and you were also
invited to nip over to the galley for a drink at any time.

Jim P.

Old April 14th, 2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank F. Matthews

Jeff Hacker wrote:

wrote in message

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:17:21 -0400, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message "William Black"
wrote:

[...]

The only study which I remember applied to the tanks which supply water
to the lavs. Do you know of a study that applies to a galley supply,

Old April 15th, 2007, 07:58 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Frank F. Matthews writes:

The only study which I remember applied to the tanks which supply water
to the lavs. Do you know of a study that applies to a galley supply,

The study I saw applied to both galley and lavatory water.

Old April 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Frank F. Matthews writes:

The only study which I remember applied to the tanks which supply water
to the lavs. Do you know of a study that applies to a galley supply,

The study I saw applied to both galley and lavatory water.

Every time I have requested a drink of water, it was supplied in a
sealed bottle, so no tap water was involved.
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
(PeteCresswell)

Per Shawn Hirn:
Every time I have requested a drink of water, it was supplied in a
sealed bottle, so no tap water was involved.

I'd think that would depend on where the plane was provisioned.

First-world county... probably no problem.

Other places.... the questions of where/when the bottle was sealed, who sealed
it, and what water they used to fill it arise.

Personally, on the few flights I take and the airlines that run them I'd feel
100% at ease drinking anything the crew gave me.
--
PeteCresswell